Sandy victim mired in red tape despite Obama promise

a loan at 6% isn't help, i guess. :dunno:

i feel very bad for this whiny twat, and i believe it's all obama's fault.

MYTH: I believe FEMA only makes loans so I didn’t apply for help because I don’t want a loan.

FACT: FEMA only provides grants. The grants may cover expenses for temporary housing, home repairs, replacement of damaged personal property and other disaster-related needs such as medical, dental or transportation costs not covered by insurance or other programs. They don’t have to be repaid.

The U.S. Small Business Administration provides low-interest disaster loans to renters, homeowners and businesses of all sizes. Some applicants may receive an SBA loan application after registering with FEMA. No one is obligated to take out a loan, but if they don’t complete the application they may not be considered for other federal grant programs.

Myth vs. Fact About Registering For FEMA Aid | FEMA.gov

FEMA helps people, it doesn't bail out businesses. And the disaster loan rates are set by Congress.

I feel sorry for this woman but it was pretty stupid of her not to have flood insurance.

Anyone that operates a business on a body of water should have flood insurance.

That's easy to say, not so easy to do. I don't know what it's like out there but here, about 10 years ago, they cancelled all earthquake insurance. Insurance companies just quit covering earthquakes. Some people had paid for that insurance for 30 or 40 years and they didn't get one time back. The companies just stopped providing earthquake insurance leaving them on their own if an earthquake takes down their house.

I'm fortunate in that I still have earthquake insurance although at a pretty penny, though a non profit insurance company. Still, I don't think Allstate and other insurance companies should have been able to cancel earthquake insurance without refunding those people for all the years they paid into it.

I'm guessing that about the time our earthquake insurance was cancelled, their flood insurance was cancelled.

MYTH: I believe FEMA only makes loans so I didn’t apply for help because I don’t want a loan.

FACT: FEMA only provides grants. The grants may cover expenses for temporary housing, home repairs, replacement of damaged personal property and other disaster-related needs such as medical, dental or transportation costs not covered by insurance or other programs. They don’t have to be repaid.

The U.S. Small Business Administration provides low-interest disaster loans to renters, homeowners and businesses of all sizes. Some applicants may receive an SBA loan application after registering with FEMA. No one is obligated to take out a loan, but if they don’t complete the application they may not be considered for other federal grant programs.

FEMA helps people, it doesn't bail out businesses. And the disaster loan rates are set by Congress.

I feel sorry for this woman but it was pretty stupid of her not to have flood insurance.

Oh... It's her fault. I'm positive you said the same thing when Bush was getting hammered for the fallout from Katrina... Of course you did. :lol:

She owned a Marina on the ocean and she didn't have flood insurance. Yeah, I would say it is her fault.

That's easy to say, not so easy to do. I don't know what it's like out there but here, about 10 years ago, they cancelled all earthquake insurance. Insurance companies just quit covering earthquakes. Some people had paid for that insurance for 30 or 40 years and they didn't get one time back. The companies just stopped providing earthquake insurance leaving them on their own if an earthquake takes down their house.

I'm fortunate in that I still have earthquake insurance although at a pretty penny, though a non profit insurance company. Still, I don't think Allstate and other insurance companies should have been able to cancel earthquake insurance without refunding those people for all the years they paid into it.

I'm guessing that about the time our earthquake insurance was cancelled, their flood insurance was cancelled.

Got proof of that statement?

Would you like to point out how this is different than what would have happened under Bush? Or even faster? Until you do, I am still right.

Did I even mention Bush?
So I have no clue what you think you are right about.

You started a thread thinking you had a point, and you didn't. Not my fault.

Sigh.

This thread is to show that there is no effective difference in how FEMA responds to a disaster now than there was when Bush was president and he supposedly fucked up the response to Katrina. You called bullshit on that premise, and now you have no idea what I am talking about?

How does that work?

FEMA. Doesn't. Bail. Out. Business.

Are you this stupid in real life? If you want it to do so, you might want to contact Congress and get them to pass legislation to require it and fund it.

:thup:

I actually don't know how easy it is for a business to get flood insurance. It's a piece of cake for a homeowner though and very cheap.

I've been on this board for over 4 years, how many lies have you caught me in that you ask me for proof of everything I say?

I don't have time to do the work to find it for you. I'm volunteering 6 days a week right now, plus I have to get ready for Christmas and my son's birthday. You are concerned, you check it out. Start with Allstate.

I've been on this board for over 4 years, how many lies have you caught me in that you ask me for proof of everything I say?

I don't have time to do the work to find it for you. I'm volunteering 6 days a week right now, plus I have to get ready for Christmas and my son's birthday. You are concerned, you check it out. Start with Allstate.

I am asking for proof they canceled their flood insurance.
And I don't have to after Katrina they made it easier for businesses to obtain flood insurance.

And I don't have to after Katrina they made it easier for businesses to obtain flood insurance.

I never said they cancelled their flood insurance. I said that I don't know. I said they cancelled their earthquake insurance and didn't pay anybody back one dime of the money they'd spent for that very expensive earthquake insurance. Why would you want me to prove something I never said?

You are correct. Flood insurance can't be canceled. And I do see that a business can also get flood insurance. I will definitely look into this.

Business Property Risk | Flood Map | Flood Risk | FloodSmart

Earthquake insurance is another story though, or maybe, I don't know if there is a national earthquake insurance. I do know that a lot of for profit insurance companies pulled out of Florida that offered windstorm coverage after we got one too many hurricanes.

I'd really love to see a national disaster insurance policy offered.

Did I even mention Bush?

Sigh.

This thread is to show that there is no effective difference in how FEMA responds to a disaster now than there was when Bush was president and he supposedly fucked up the response to Katrina. You called bullshit on that premise, and now you have no idea what I am talking about?

How does that work?

First off you nor your article mentioned Bush. I called bullshit on the story. And I already stated Obama and FEMA did what they can do, exactly what Obama stated.
Not my fault you are confused. Of course you tend to change your argument as you go along.
Plus Sandy was handled better than Katrina, for one the governor was quick to accept help and FEMA was in there right away, unlike with Katrina.
This lady is trying to score political points and you are helping her. She didn't have flood insurance and she is was offered a loan already. What more do you think they can do?

Wow.

The first thing I wrote in this thread was "I would blame Obama for this, but he was just being a politician. I do, however, enjoy mocking the idiots who thought it would be different." Question, different than what? Was I comparing this to how the government responded to WWII? The Zombie Apocalypse?

Instead of trying to prove to yourself that you are smarter than me you should simply accept that you fracked up this time, and you can't win this argument. This has nothing to do with her, Obama, or Bush, it is all about the idiots that thought Obama had some magical control and that there would be no problems this time around.

Last edited:
Did I even mention Bush?

Sigh.

How does that work?

Are you this stupid in real life? If you want it to do so, you might want to contact Congress and get them to pass legislation to require it and fund it.

I never said they did, did I? What I maintained, and still insist on, is that the federal response to disaster is at least as mucked up as it was when Bush was president. This has nothing to do with your insistence that FEMA doesn't do stuff, it has everything to do with the idiots that insisted that it would magically work better with Obama in charge. If I was actually trying to blame Obama and FEMA for this, instead of just mocking the idiots, I would be pointing out that Obama did a photo op with this woman and personally promised her the help of the federal government in solving all her problems.

I never said they cancelled their flood insurance. I said that I don't know. I said they cancelled their earthquake insurance and didn't pay anybody back one dime of the money they'd spent for that very expensive earthquake insurance. Why would you want me to prove something I never said?

Because that is the only way she can win an argument.

i would blame obama for this, but he was just being a politician. I do, however, enjoy mocking the idiots who thought it would be different.

after hurricane sandy hit along the new jersey shore and throughout new york city, president obama traveled to the affected area and delivered a message to both victims and the federal government, advising the fed to use “no bureaucracy, no red tape … get resources where they’re needed as fast as possible.” to the victims, he promised assistance. “we are standing behind you and we are going to do everything we can to help you get back on your feet.”

it was that same day that an emotional embrace between the president and a new jersey businesswoman, donna vanzant, was caught on camera and shared around the world. It’s a photo of which vanzant now says, “it’s frustrating for me that that picture is even out there right now.”

after losing her entire marina business, of which she estimates a $500,000 loss, she told fox and friends’ brian kilmeade that her hope has been dashed in the month that followed the photo.

“i was very excited and felt warmed by the embrace, thinking, ‘this is really gonna happen, i’m going to get the help i need, because you promised that,’ and it’s been almost a month now and i’ve gotten no help,” she said.

sandy victim says president didn’t follow through on promise to help | fox news insider

fox news insider....

news for the hopelessly stupid...

Sigh.

How does that work?

I never said they did, did I? What I maintained, and still insist on, is that the federal response to disaster is at least as mucked up as it was when Bush was president. This has nothing to do with your insistence that FEMA doesn't do stuff, it has everything to do with the idiots that insisted that it would magically work better with Obama in charge. If I was actually trying to blame Obama and FEMA for this, instead of just mocking the idiots, I would be pointing out that Obama did a photo op with this woman and personally promised her the help of the federal government in solving all her problems.

And I stated they did do what they can, you keep missing that point. This lady is not proof of your statement, as I stated many times.
And many many stories put out including the governor of New Jersey would disagree with you on how FEMA has changed since Katrina.
The fact that FEMA and the Department of Homeland security has also made it easier to obtain flood insurance for businesses is also proof they have improved the system.
You are just too stupid to understand the OP didn't prove your point.

Because that is the only way she can win an argument.

She said I am guessing they canceled their flood insurance the same time they canceled their earthquake insurance. She should have backed up that statement, not my fault she didn't.
And the only way you win an argument is in your head. You sure didn't win this one.

But please explain again how your OP backs up your opinion.

And I stated they did do what they can, you keep missing that point. This lady is not proof of your statement, as I stated many times.
And many many stories put out including the governor of New Jersey would disagree with you on how FEMA has changed since Katrina.
The fact that FEMA and the Department of Homeland security has also made it easier to obtain flood insurance for businesses is also proof they have improved the system.
You are just too stupid to understand the OP didn't prove your point.

I wasn't even talking to you. In fact, unless you are one of the idiots that insist that they are doing better now, I am not even talking about you. Want to tell me why you are so defensive?

Sigh.

How does that work?

You haven't made a case that FEMA hasn't responded better. You've made a case that business owners can't turn to FEMA for help.

The only person you are fooling is yourself.

Forum List

Back