Sandy relief bill does not get voted on

Uh. Didn't The Won have a big photo op where he promised that FEMA would cut through red tape and people would get what they need immediately?

Bush got aid to NO in 10 days, btw.

Everyone I have heard has blasted the House republican leadership on this failure.

The bill is over $60 billion. Over half of it is loaded with pork. Garbage completely unrelated to storm damage.
The disgust of some House members crossed the aisle.
This crap had ZERO to do with party or ideology.

The fact the House Speaker Boehner walked away from this is disgusting. Yes, the fiscal cliff was a huge accomplishment but to throws this off as "too much work" for them to do is a true shame of our system. I would hope Obama mentions the victims of Sandy tonight.

Oh, and that 'pork' was put in there to get republicans votes. So was that just a ploy so now they can say it is full of pork?

You are against it because it costs too much? This might just end up being a battle cry in further votes. Republicans who are undecided will remember this bill and say, "When I needed the republican leadership it turned their back on me."

No you Goddamned idiot. I oppose the bill because it is loaded with a bunch of garbage.
Pay attention!
Read the bill News

Half the stuff in it is not directly related to helping the people. All of the non aid part could have been worked up at a later time. No, instead these morons have to make sure government facilities are cared for first.

Sandy relief shouldn't include fisheries in Alaska.

Sandy relief shouldn't include $5.3B to the Army Corps of Engineers (that's more than their annual budget).

Sandy relief shouldn't include $56.8 million for charting the debris from last year's Japanese tsunami.

Sandy relief shouldn't include $41 million for eight military bases including Guantanamo Bay.

Sandy relief shouldn't include $100 million for the federal Head Start day care program.

Sandy relief shouldn't include $188 million for new Amtrak lines (not repair, whole new lines).

Sandy relief shouldn't include $20 million for a nationwide "Water Resources Priorities Study".

FEMA still has $5 billion in disaster relief funds that are expected to last until March. So we DO have time to get Sandy relief right.

If that's reasonable, why should anyone buy insurance? Why not just wait for the damage to occur and then take the money needed to repair from other taxpayers. How's that reasonable?

New York and New Jersey are in the top 5 per capita revenue contributors, and are in the bottom half of federal funding receivers.

This situation has been this way for decades, at least.

When there is a drought in the midwest, the government has stepped in with assistance.

When there is a flood in the south, the government has stepped in with assistance.

When there are wildfires in the southwest, the government steps in with assistance.

Now, when the top contributors, who have been getting short-changed by moochers from the rest of the nation for time uncounted, need assistance, NOW you start pointing out that they should have been insured?

Seriously?

How about you start paying NY and NJ back for all the money you've milked from them over the decades?

And then you can start talking about not giving them the emergency assistance they so desperately need.

Christie stated that he got assurances at 9:00 o'clock last night that the package would ready for a vote today. At 11:20 last night he was called by Cantor and told that authority for the vote was pulled by the speaker. A Christie's delegation (not sure exactly who that refers to) asked for a meeting with the speaker at the time and was refused. Christie called Boehner four times after 11:20 and Boehner did not take the calls. Boehner said that he will be with Christie and the republican representatives from New York and New Jersey later today.

If that's reasonable, why should anyone buy insurance? Why not just wait for the damage to occur and then take the money needed to repair from other taxpayers. How's that reasonable?

New York and New Jersey are in the top 5 per capita revenue contributors, and are in the bottom half of federal funding receivers.

This situation has been this way for decades, at least.

When there is a drought in the midwest, the government has stepped in with assistance.

They should not have done so. Farmers are free to purchase drought insurance.

When there is a flood in the south, the government has stepped in with assistance.

Again, those property owners should have purchased flood insurance. It should not be the problem of those that opted to protect their own assets.

When there are wildfires in the southwest, the government steps in with assistance.

Now, when the top contributors, who have been getting short-changed by moochers from the rest of the nation for time uncounted, need assistance, NOW you start pointing out that they should have been insured?

Seriously?

I've ALWAYS pointed out that stealing from some people because others failed to properly prepare is wrong. Seriously wrong.

How about you start paying NY and NJ back for all the money you've milked from them over the decades?

How about the federal government stop milking anyone? Hey, now that's a thought.

And then you can start talking about not giving them the emergency assistance they so desperately need.

Past wrongs does not make this right. If you feel property owners on the east coast deserve your money, send it to them voluntarily. The Red Cross and other charitable organizations are happy to take your money and provide aid.

That some of these people chose to roll the dice does not justify theft, even if that's exactly what's been done in the past. Just because the bully stole your lunch money last year doesn't make it right this year.

The fact the House Speaker Boehner walked away from this is disgusting. Yes, the fiscal cliff was a huge accomplishment but to throws this off as "too much work" for them to do is a true shame of our system. I would hope Obama mentions the victims of Sandy tonight.

Oh, and that 'pork' was put in there to get republicans votes. So was that just a ploy so now they can say it is full of pork?

You are against it because it costs too much? This might just end up being a battle cry in further votes. Republicans who are undecided will remember this bill and say, "When I needed the republican leadership it turned their back on me."

No you Goddamned idiot. I oppose the bill because it is loaded with a bunch of garbage.
Pay attention!
Read the bill News

Half the stuff in it is not directly related to helping the people. All of the non aid part could have been worked up at a later time. No, instead these morons have to make sure government facilities are cared for first.

Sandy relief shouldn't include $5.3B to the Army Corps of Engineers (that's more than their annual budget).

Sandy relief shouldn't include $56.8 million for charting the debris from last year's Japanese tsunami.

Sandy relief shouldn't include $41 million for eight military bases including Guantanamo Bay.

Sandy relief shouldn't include $100 million for the federal Head Start day care program.

Sandy relief shouldn't include $188 million for new Amtrak lines (not repair, whole new lines).

Sandy relief shouldn't include $20 million for a nationwide "Water Resources Priorities Study".

FEMA still has $5 billion in disaster relief funds that are expected to last until March. So we DO have time to get Sandy relief right.

So if you had the vote up or down you would vote against this bill?

Pay attention!
Read the bill News

So if you had the vote up or down you would vote against this bill?

Damn right!

True enough, but it was only put in to get Republican votes. I'm sure the Democrats would have no problem removing it.

Yes, it should, because the Army Corp of Engineers went to extraordinary lengths to repair bridges and tunnels that were mad e completely inoperative by the hurricane.

I just read the link provided listing the appropriation request. Where is that located exactly? Because I'm not seeing it.

Are there no military bases in NY and NJ that were damaged by hurricane Sandy? Are you suggesting that we should close these facilities?

Please point out where $100 million dollars is being appropriated for day care, and not for public schools.

Are you suggesting that public schools were not damaged by the Hurricane?

Because replacing old, damaged lines with new ones is somehow a bad idea?

Research into improving water resource placement and infrastructure so that future hurricanes of this nature do not cause the massive damage to the public water supply that this one did.

Alright, that's a good point. Meanwhile, however, all the problems that FEMA has no jurisdiction over will continue.

Again, those property owners should have purchased flood insurance. It should not be the problem of those that opted to protect their own assets.

I've ALWAYS pointed out that stealing from some people because others failed to properly prepare is wrong. Seriously wrong.

How about the federal government stop milking anyone? Hey, now that's a thought.

Past wrongs does not make this right. If you feel property owners on the east coast deserve your money, send it to them voluntarily. The Red Cross and other charitable organizations are happy to take your money and provide aid.

That some of these people chose to roll the dice does not justify theft, even if that's exactly what's been done in the past. Just because the bully stole your lunch money last year doesn't make it right this year.

Giving relief to people who have been contributing the lion's share of the money that is generally used to pay for such relief is NOT "theft".

No-one from New York or New Jersey is suggesting that the money THEY PAID INTO THE SYSTEM should not be used for said relief, and since it is THEIR MONEY that would be paying for it, I imagine it's up to them to decide whether the money is going to a good cause.

$60 Billion dollars is about 1/4 of ONE YEAR in taxes from just the State of New York.

Perhaps, if this bill does not go through, the State of New York should stop paying federal tax for the year, collect that money as state tax, and use that money to pay for the damage themselves, with a hell of a lot left over for incidentals.

True enough, but it was only put in to get Republican votes. I'm sure the Democrats would have no problem removing it.

Yes, it should, because the Army Corp of Engineers went to extraordinary lengths to repair bridges and tunnels that were mad e completely inoperative by the hurricane.

I just read the link provided listing the appropriation request. Where is that located exactly? Because I'm not seeing it.

Are there no military bases in NY and NJ that were damaged by hurricane Sandy? Are you suggesting that we should close these facilities?

Please point out where $100 million dollars is being appropriated for day care, and not for public schools.

Are you suggesting that public schools were not damaged by the Hurricane?

Because replacing old, damaged lines with new ones is somehow a bad idea?

Research into improving water resource placement and infrastructure so that future hurricanes of this nature do not cause the massive damage to the public water supply that this one did.

Alright, that's a good point. Meanwhile, however, all the problems that FEMA has no jurisdiction over will continue.

The fisheries and the debris is actually a double listing. The debris is blocking the fishing so that is how that is, it's the same item.

Giving relief to people who have been contributing the lion's share of the money that is generally used to pay for such relief is NOT "theft".

Bullshit. All "such relief" is theft. You take money from taxpayers and give it to those that CHOSE to not adequately protect their assets. Unless you're telling me my tax dollars won't be used in this manner without my say so, it's theft.

No-one from New York or New Jersey is suggesting that the money THEY PAID INTO THE SYSTEM should not be used for said relief, and since it is THEIR MONEY that would be paying for it, I imagine it's up to them to decide whether the money is going to a good cause.

They paid taxes in order for the federal government to carry out it's responsibilities under the enumerated powers, just like every other taxpayer. If it was "their money" being used to pay for their property damage, we wouldn't be having this conversation. It's not their money, their money should have been used to buy insurance. Now you're only left with stealing from people to pay for their lack of preparation.

$60 Billion dollars is about 1/4 of ONE YEAR in taxes from just the State of New York.

Perhaps, if this bill does not go through, the State of New York should stop paying federal tax for the year, collect that money as state tax, and use that money to pay for the damage themselves, with a hell of a lot left over for incidentals.

How about the individuals that own property pay for their own insurance? Hey, now there's an idea!

How about the individuals that own property pay for their own insurance? Hey, now there's an idea!

And how about all the people that rent in New York City and now no longer have a home?

How about all the damage that was done to the New York infrastructure that desperately needs repairs? Or the schools that were destroyed?

And you can post about "Enumerated Powers" all you want, but the fact is that for some time now, the Federal Government has been providing for disaster relief.

And the taxpayers that are sending their money to the Federal Government have been sending said money with the expectation that when their turn might possibly, God forbid, come around for disaster relief, some asshole politician in Washington wouldn't be trying to prevent them from getting it.

And how about all the people that rent in New York City and now no longer have a home?.

They were free to purchase renters insurance, which would provide them with another place to live.

How about all the damage that was done to the New York infrastructure that desperately needs repairs? Or the schools that were destroyed?

The citizens of New York are free to raise taxes for repair of public spaces. The people of Indiana are not obligated, but they are free to voluntarily contribute.

And you can post about "Enumerated Powers" all you want, but the fact is that for some time now, the Federal Government has been providing for disaster relief.

So because you stole from me yesterday, I should not protest when you attempt to steal from me today. Got it...:cuckoo:

And the taxpayers that are sending their money to the Federal Government have been sending said money with the expectation that when their turn might possibly, God forbid, come around for disaster relief, some asshole politician in Washington wouldn't be trying to prevent them from getting it

Too bad these delusional folks didn't put their money towards insurance premium payments. That way, they'd get the money needed for repairs and we wouldn't have to steal from anyone. Hey, how about that...:eusa_shhh:

They were free to purchase renters insurance, which would provide them with another place to live.

insurance policies don't cover 'acts of G-d', which hurricanes are considered.

there has never been a state that waited 66 days for disaster relief. it's funny how you hacks only whine when it comes to blue states... which give more money to the feds than they take...

as opposed to your red states whcih suck up more resources than they pay in.

HTML:
I saw that this passed the Senate the other day. Apparently it had not passed the house and the house will not vote on it. I just heard several bills be approved that were nowhere where not near as important as this bill is.

Just have Obama raise taxes on the rich some more that solves all problems or so the left tells us.

Forum List

Back