Sandy relief bill does not get voted on

What the fuck are the states going to do with $60Billion? You can build 250,000 new homes with that!

It's Blue State payback for electing Obama, nothing more

You're something else.

Did you get at all involved in helping out?

I did..and I also drive through New Jersey.

There are some pretty messed up areas in both states.

You mean besides offering my Office Manager's family unlimited use of our guest bedroom?

nah, I did dick

Yeah lot's of downed trees still here but $60B? really?

It's real money, no?

Uh. Didn't The Won have a big photo op where he promised that FEMA would cut through red tape and people would get what they need immediately?

Bush got aid to NO in 10 days, btw.

So why is this anyone's problem other than the property owner that made that choice?

Where do you draw the line of government responsibility?

At taking my tax dollars to give to somebody that failed to properly insure themselves. I have homeowners, flood and an umbrella policy too boot.

BINGO. I pay an ungodly amount of money for earthquake insurance - I don't expect anyone to bail me out if we get hit with The Big One someday.

Quotes from Christie:
Most of the support came from places who have been through this before. (referring to natural disasters)

I saw that this passed the Senate the other day. Apparently it had not passed the house and the house will not vote on it. I just heard several bills be approved that were nowhere where not near as important as this bill is.

Why is a property owner's decision to not purchase adequate insurance a problem for other taxpayers?

I have flood insurance as well, and have had to use it.

However, I believe (almost) all flood insurance in America is underwritten by FEMA, i.e. the federal government, at a loss. IOW, it is being subsidized by the taxpayers.

If you have private flood insurance, please let me know.

"I am so concerned that they are so concerned with their internal politics that they forgot they have a job to do." Misquoted, he stated it better earlier.

Excellent point.

I didn't hear the question, "We'll see. Primaries are an ugly thing."

...you probably opted not to buy extra coverage for this risk...

So why is this anyone's problem other than the property owner that made that choice?

Your question makes no sense. The federal government's responsibilities are spelled out quite clearly in the enumerated powers of the Constitution. Nowhere will you find among those powers the responsibility of paying off homeowners that neglected their fiscal responsibilities.

Property owners, if they wish to protect their assets, can, and do, buy insurance. If some property owners decide to roll the dice and end up suffering a loss, why is that the problem of other taxpayers?

Damn Christie is being statesman like. (He would probably get offended I am surprised.)

"People who complete with each other for power usually fight doing it."

If Obama wanted it, it would have been done. Instead, he's hopping a flight to Hawaii. So much for his promise to the people of New Jersey. It was nothing more than a photo op to help push him over the electoral finish line.

That doesn't even make sense.

Obama suggested the bill, the Senate passed it.

The House needs to act on the bill, before Obama can sign it.

Tell me, when exactly did Obama become Speaker of the House?

I saw that this passed the Senate the other day. Apparently it had not passed the house and the house will not vote on it. I just heard several bills be approved that were nowhere where not near as important as this bill is.

Why is a property owner's decision to not purchase adequate insurance a problem for other taxpayers?

I have flood insurance as well, and have had to use it.

However, I believe (almost) all flood insurance in America is underwritten by FEMA, i.e. the federal government, at a loss. IOW, it is being subsidized by the taxpayers.

If you have private flood insurance, please let me know.

Yes, I agree it is a shame that the government meddles in the flood insurance market. I feel the same way about education and healthcare. The result is always the same: skyrocketing prices, less choice, shitty results.

That said, private flood insurance is available from several carriers including Chubb, Fireman's fund and AIG.

Good luck protecting your property. Just don't steal from me if you fail to do so.

Last edited:
Remind Me Not to Piss Off Chris Christie - The Daily Beast
He savaged Boehner and his own party serially throughout this press conference. "I called the speaker four times last night. He didn't take my calls." And on and on and on--and on.

This is, I think, enormously damaging to the House GOP. It's one of their own, or at least another Republican. And Christie came across as very credible, he was at his no-b.s., regular-guy best. The Sandy failure will resonate and hurt the Republicans going forward.

No you Goddamned idiot. I oppose the bill because it is loaded with a bunch of garbage.
Pay attention!
Read the bill News

Half the stuff in it is not directly related to helping the people. All of the non aid part could have been worked up at a later time. No, instead these morons have to make sure government facilities are cared for first.

OK, so I read the thing, and I'm seeing relief and repair money for families, housing, infrastructure and transportation repair costs, small business loans, and repair of federal facilities and national monuments damaged by the hurricane.

Sounds pretty reasonable.

What, specifically, is in there that is not relief money for hurricane damage?

Your question makes no sense. The federal government's responsibilities are spelled out quite clearly in the enumerated powers of the Constitution. Nowhere will you find among those powers the responsibility of paying off homeowners that neglected their fiscal responsibilities.

Property owners, if they wish to protect their assets, can, and do, buy insurance. If some property owners decide to roll the dice and end up suffering a loss, why is that the problem of other taxpayers?

It does make sense or you won't have answered it. FDA is not in the Constitution.

No you Goddamned idiot. I oppose the bill because it is loaded with a bunch of garbage.
Pay attention!
Read the bill News

Half the stuff in it is not directly related to helping the people. All of the non aid part could have been worked up at a later time. No, instead these morons have to make sure government facilities are cared for first.

OK, so I read the thing, and I'm seeing relief and repair money for families, housing, infrastructure and transportation repair costs, small business loans, and repair of federal facilities and national monuments damaged by the hurricane.

Sounds pretty reasonable.

What, specifically, is in there that is not relief money for hurricane damage?

If that's reasonable, why should anyone buy insurance? Why not just wait for the damage to occur and then take the money needed to repair from other taxpayers. How's that reasonable?

It does make sense or you won't have answered it. FDA is not in the Constitution.

Lots of shit the government does that it has no right to under the Constitution. This doesn't change the fact that it makes no damn sense for taxpayers to bail out property owners that decided to roll the dice and forgo insurance on their assets. It should not be anyone else's problem. Buy the damn insurance next time...or bail them out and create a HUGE moral hazard. After all, if it's the government's job to pay when you CHOOSE to not insure, why should anyone buy insurance?

Forum List

Back