Safety in Football

Speed Stack

The age of TV seems to favor the ultra-fast and flashy passing game over the tediously diligent ground-running game. The early 1990s LA Rams were a testament to this trend, as they somehow seemed to overshadow the Barry Sanders led Detroit Lions.

Incidentally, the speed-themed comic book hero the Flash (DC Comics) rose to popularity in this modern age.

What this means is that today's athletes are required by the media and coaches to run faster. Add steroids to the mix, and you have athletes running unnaturally faster.

The development of technology reveals a preference for speed, and the infusion of speed as a prerequisite for broadcast sports indicates a rather dangerous trend in dehumanizing the human athlete.

An NFL player running out his shoes on steroids seems like a sign of 'breakneck consumerism.'

:boohoo:

The Flash comic book - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

cy-super.jpg

A football safety tip.

I believe that now that they are allowing openly gay homos in the NFL the players should be required to wear condoms before they enter the showers.

Just sayin...

My counterintuitive point for the day:

The factor in football that does the most to cause serious injuries is the virtual suit of armor that the players wear.

Rugby is a similarly violent sport in which there is minimal protective equipment and most notably, no helmets. As a result, the players have developed the skills and techniques to accomplish what they need to accomplish without having an intolerable level of personal injuries.

Football players perform with the foolish assumption that their equipment will protect them from injury, even when they do things that are patently unsafe. Take away the helmets and pads, use shoes similar to soccer shoes, and the players will quickly learn how NOT to get injured, and the game won't suffer a bit.

good, valid points.

They give them body armor, but then penalize them for hitting people.

I happen to believe that football players are not so stupid that they would endanger their lives while playing. They would quickly develop techniques and skills, the rules would be modified a bit, and the overall number of injuries - particularly head injuries - would be reduced.

There are many sports where a normal-sized person can excel. Baseball, tennis, soccer, golf, bowling, hockey. As noted above, there are a few positions on the football field where a normal-sized person is not at such a ridiculous disadvantage that they can be competitive. But basically, that the highest levels, football and basketball are reserved for mutants.

No thanks.

While some positions require larger than average size, many positions on a football team do not.

2013 NFL draft - Five-year NFL combine averages - ESPN

That link shows the averages of all the players in the combine from which the NFL drafts its players.

The average height & weight for a QB is 6'2" and 223lbs.
The average height & weight for a WR is 6'0" and 202lbs.
The average height & weight for a RB is 5'10" and 213lbs.
The average height & weight for a ILB is 6'1" and 241lbs.
The average height & weight for a OLB is 6'1" and 238lbs.
The average height & weight for a CB is 5'11" and 193lbs.
The average height & weight for a Safety is 6' and 208lbs.

None of those look like mutants. And these are the 5 year averages for the top level college football players coming into the NFL.

Those combine numbers are for kids coming out of college...so essentially irrelevant compared to veteran nfl players

I happen to believe that football players are not so stupid that they would endanger their lives while playing. They would quickly develop techniques and skills, the rules would be modified a bit, and the overall number of injuries - particularly head injuries - would be reduced.

There are many sports where a normal-sized person can excel. Baseball, tennis, soccer, golf, bowling, hockey. As noted above, there are a few positions on the football field where a normal-sized person is not at such a ridiculous disadvantage that they can be competitive. But basically, that the highest levels, football and basketball are reserved for mutants.

No thanks.

While some positions require larger than average size, many positions on a football team do not.

That link shows the averages of all the players in the combine from which the NFL drafts its players.

None of those look like mutants. And these are the 5 year averages for the top level college football players coming into the NFL.

Those combine numbers are for kids coming out of college...so essentially irrelevant compared to veteran nfl players

I don't think the NFL takes normal sized bodies and turns them into freaks.

No thanks.

ok..but those combine participants aren't nfl players anyway....compare the combine numbers with veteran players numbers..and I don't mean 2nd year "veterans". try to be honest.

I'll concede the players aren't growing any taller when they join the nfl, so please avoid that angle/diversion.

Safety in Football is still worth 2 points

Same as it always was

No thanks.

ok..but those combine participants aren't nfl players anyway....compare the combine numbers with veteran players numbers..and I don't mean 2nd year "veterans". try to be honest.

I'll concede the players aren't growing any taller when they join the nfl, so please avoid that angle/diversion.

Ok, since you want me to try and be honest, here are the stats for the NFL in those positions:

The average height & weight for an NFL QB is 6'3" and 223.8lbs
The average height & weight for an NFL WR is 6'1" and 202.6lbs
The average height & weight for an NFL RB is 5'11" and 215.3lbs
The average height & weight for an NFL LB is 6'2" and 246.3lbs
The average height & weight for an NFL CB is 5'11" and 193.4lbs
The average height & weight for an NFL Safety is 6'0" and 207.6lbs

from: Height and weight of all active NFL players by position OC dataisbeautiful

Perhaps next time, before you act quite so condescending, you will get the actual data for yourself.

From the Combine figures to the NFL figures, the weight differences are as follows:

The NFL players are:
QB - +0.8 lbs
WR - +0.6 lbs
RB - +3.3 lbs
LB - ILB - +5.3 lbs
LB - OLB - +8.3 lbs
CB - +0.4 lbs
Safety - -0.4 lbs

Yep, there is such a whopping difference, isn't there?

You neglected to pay attention to the positions listed, and assumed all NFL players pack on pounds. Some of the positions are not helped by gaining significant weight. If you want a CB to stay with a WR, he needs to be able to run fast all night long.

Football players perform with the foolish assumption that their equipment will protect them from injury, even when they do things that are patently unsafe. Take away the helmets and pads, use shoes similar to soccer shoes, and the players will quickly learn how NOT to get injured, and the game won't suffer a bit.

Football players know better than you what the pads are for and what they can do. Yes, the game would suffer quite a bit. It would be a different game altogether. If it's too rough for you, don't watch.

No thanks.

Ok, since you want me to try and be honest, here are the stats for the NFL in those positions:

from: Height and weight of all active NFL players by position OC dataisbeautiful

Perhaps next time, before you act quite so condescending, you will get the actual data for yourself.

From the Combine figures to the NFL figures, the weight differences are as follows:

The NFL players are:
QB - +0.8 lbs
WR - +0.6 lbs
RB - +3.3 lbs
LB - ILB - +5.3 lbs
LB - OLB - +8.3 lbs
CB - +0.4 lbs
Safety - -0.4 lbs

You neglected to pay attention to the positions listed, and assumed all NFL players pack on pounds. Some of the positions are not helped by gaining significant weight. If you want a CB to stay with a WR, he needs to be able to run fast all night long.

Relax..I've dealt with you before and I know some of your tactics.

If asking you not to resort to them is "condescending", have it your way..you like to grossly mischaracterize things anyway.

No thanks.

The NFL players are:
QB - +0.8 lbs
WR - +0.6 lbs
RB - +3.3 lbs
LB - ILB - +5.3 lbs
LB - OLB - +8.3 lbs
CB - +0.4 lbs
Safety - -0.4 lbs

If asking you not to resort to them is "condescending", have it your way..you like to grossly mischaracterize things anyway.

Oh I see. So you, the paragon of debate, were worried that I might invent numbers or twist them somehow?

One orf the things i find amusing about that accusation is that when I am accused of that, I am either using someone else's words back at them, or posting data I found online. That same data is available to everyone. You could have easily looked up the numbers for yourself and made your point. But instead you thought the NFL made every player look like the Hulk, so I must be wrong. Oops.

And what, exactly have I grossly mischaracterized? I provided links to teh data, and even compared the data. So tell me what "tactics" I used to show you were wrong?

No thanks.

The NFL players are:
QB - +0.8 lbs
WR - +0.6 lbs
RB - +3.3 lbs
LB - ILB - +5.3 lbs
LB - OLB - +8.3 lbs
CB - +0.4 lbs
Safety - -0.4 lbs

Oh I see. So you, the paragon of debate,
obligatory snark and subtle insult...Nice...

were worried that I might invent numbers or twist them somehow?
Not "worried"..aware.

One orf the things i find amusing about that accusation is that when I am accused of that, I am either using someone else's words back at them, or posting data I found online. That same data is available to everyone. You could have easily looked up the numbers for yourself and made your point. But instead you thought the NFL made every player look like the Hulk, so I must be wrong. Oops.
purposely mischaracterizing and inventing fantasy scenarios of imaginary events..real solid evidence, ace....

And what, exactly have I grossly mischaracterized? I provided links to teh data, and even compared the data. So tell me what "tactics" I used to show you were wrong?

Oh..NOW you suddenly want to get literal and specific..
I asked for the comparisons because combine players aren't nfl players...get the fuck over yourself.

I didn't see any O line or D line numbers..I wonder why you left those out?

No thanks.

The NFL players are:
QB - +0.8 lbs
WR - +0.6 lbs
RB - +3.3 lbs
LB - ILB - +5.3 lbs
LB - OLB - +8.3 lbs
CB - +0.4 lbs
Safety - -0.4 lbs

Not "worried"..aware.

purposely mischaracterizing and inventing fantasy scenarios of imaginary events..real solid evidence, ace....

I asked for the comparisons because combine players aren't nfl players...get the fuck over yourself.

I didn't include linemen because I was posting these numbers to show that not all football players are freakishly huge. And linemen, by and large, are huge, so I left those out.

No thanks.

The NFL players are:
QB - +0.8 lbs
WR - +0.6 lbs
RB - +3.3 lbs
LB - ILB - +5.3 lbs
LB - OLB - +8.3 lbs
CB - +0.4 lbs
Safety - -0.4 lbs

Not "worried"..aware.

I didn't include linemen because I was posting these numbers to show that not all football players are freakishly huge. And linemen, by and large, are huge, so I left those out.

WTF?...no insults or snark?
Thanks for that. It furthers the conversation when we are honest.

No thanks.

The NFL players are:
QB - +0.8 lbs
WR - +0.6 lbs
RB - +3.3 lbs
LB - ILB - +5.3 lbs
LB - OLB - +8.3 lbs
CB - +0.4 lbs
Safety - -0.4 lbs

Not "worried"..aware.

WTF?...no insults or snark?
Thanks for that. It furthers the conversation when we are honest.

I typically return snark for snark.

Forum List

Back