Safety in Football

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
My counterintuitive point for the day:

The factor in football that does the most to cause serious injuries is the virtual suit of armor that the players wear.

Rugby is a similarly violent sport in which there is minimal protective equipment and most notably, no helmets. As a result, the players have developed the skills and techniques to accomplish what they need to accomplish without having an intolerable level of personal injuries.

Football players perform with the foolish assumption that their equipment will protect them from injury, even when they do things that are patently unsafe. Take away the helmets and pads, use shoes similar to soccer shoes, and the players will quickly learn how NOT to get injured, and the game won't suffer a bit.

If people want to watch rugby they can. More AMERICANS want to watch FOOTBALL. If it's too violent for your tender sensibilities there's always soccer (lol).

I don't pay much attention to sports where you have to be a genetic mutant to succeed.

I look forward to football season because the golf courses are empty on Sunday afternoons - just me an a bunch of Asians, usually.

The factor in football that does the most to cause serious injuries is the virtual suit of armor that the players wear.

Rugby is a similarly violent sport in which there is minimal protective equipment and most notably, no helmets. As a result, the players have developed the skills and techniques to accomplish what they need to accomplish without having an intolerable level of personal injuries.

Football players perform with the foolish assumption that their equipment will protect them from injury, even when they do things that are patently unsafe. Take away the helmets and pads, use shoes similar to soccer shoes, and the players will quickly learn how NOT to get injured, and the game won't suffer a bit.

There are other factors, the forward pass is a big one, as well as the set line of scrimmage, and the set play, which favors larger people than rugby.

Get rid of the equipment and people will end up dead.

I don't pay much attention to sports where you have to be a genetic mutant to succeed.

I look forward to football season because the golf courses are empty on Sunday afternoons - just me an a bunch of Asians, usually.

As one who does not believe in creationism, I see that we have all succeeded because we are descended from genetic mutations.

And golf? I like Samuel Clemens description of the sport. "Golf is a good walk spoiled"

Are you joking?? Have you ever witness the size, strength and speed of these players?? Without equipment it would be a regularity for players to get paralyzed as well as die playing the game.

As one who does not believe in creationism, I see that we have all succeeded because we are descended from genetic mutations.

And golf? I like Samuel Clemens description of the sport. "Golf is a good walk spoiled"

Samuel Clemens never played with a set of Nike carbon fiber composite shaft irons and Big Bertha metal woods.

Who walks anyway? The modern cart is a party wagon on wheels.

I say..the more and better the equipment the better and faster the game can be played.....

In other words, you're a 98 lbs weakling with an inferiority complex. But hey, golf is fine too.

In other words, you're a 98 lbs weakling with an inferiority complex. But hey, golf is fine too.

Every sport has its ideal body type, some sports have several due to the varieties of the positions.

Football definitely falls into that "several" category. Perhaps more than any other professional sport.

I happen to believe that football players are not so stupid that they would endanger their lives while playing. They would quickly develop techniques and skills, the rules would be modified a bit, and the overall number of injuries - particularly head injuries - would be reduced.

There are many sports where a normal-sized person can excel. Baseball, tennis, soccer, golf, bowling, hockey. As noted above, there are a few positions on the football field where a normal-sized person is not at such a ridiculous disadvantage that they can be competitive. But basically, that the highest levels, football and basketball are reserved for mutants.

No thanks.

I happen to believe that football players are not so stupid that they would endanger their lives while playing. They would quickly develop techniques and skills, the rules would be modified a bit, and the overall number of injuries - particularly head injuries - would be reduced.

There are many sports where a normal-sized person can excel. Baseball, tennis, soccer, golf, bowling, hockey. As noted above, there are a few positions on the football field where a normal-sized person is not at such a ridiculous disadvantage that they can be competitive. But basically, that the highest levels, football and basketball are reserved for mutants.

No thanks.

While some positions require larger than average size, many positions on a football team do not.

2013 NFL draft - Five-year NFL combine averages - ESPN

That link shows the averages of all the players in the combine from which the NFL drafts its players.

The average height & weight for a QB is 6'2" and 223lbs.
The average height & weight for a WR is 6'0" and 202lbs.
The average height & weight for a RB is 5'10" and 213lbs.
The average height & weight for a ILB is 6'1" and 241lbs.
The average height & weight for a OLB is 6'1" and 238lbs.
The average height & weight for a CB is 5'11" and 193lbs.
The average height & weight for a Safety is 6' and 208lbs.

None of those look like mutants. And these are the 5 year averages for the top level college football players coming into the NFL.

No thanks.

Don't worry so much, Poindexter. The big, scary men can't come through the TV and hurt you.

No thanks.

While some positions require larger than average size, many positions on a football team do not.

That link shows the averages of all the players in the combine from which the NFL drafts its players.

None of those look like mutants. And these are the 5 year averages for the top level college football players coming into the NFL.

I can find all of those average heights and weights in a stroll through a Walmart.

The difference is, football players are much stronger, much faster, much more skilled, and much more knowledgeable about football, than all of those Walmart shoppers.

Your height and weight statistics obviously miss the whole point.

No thanks.

I can find all of those average heights and weights in a stroll through a Walmart.

The difference is, football players are much stronger, much faster, much more skilled, and much more knowledgeable about football, than all of those Walmart shoppers.

Your height and weight statistics obviously miss the whole point.

No, they make the point I was trying to make.

A claim was made that top level football players are mutants and freaks because of their size. I used the numbers to show that is not the case for many of the positions.

Their strength and speed are largely due to the training that they have put in over the years. But these sizes are obviously not freakishly large.

This "tackle" by Chancellor on Thomas in one of Denver's first possessions broke 2 of DT's ribs and set the tone for what was to be the norm from Seahawk DBs. Wes Welker got smacked around early as well.

Seattle players use a smaller shoulder pad than many teams. It creates a more violent point of impact.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back