Русский / English ... language... Differences

Selivan

Gold Member
Jan 17, 2018
USSR
... a joke, spoken in Russian and translated by automatic translation, can be perceived by the Anglo-Saxon as an insult ...
... a joke, spoken in English and translated by automatic translation, can be perceived by the Russians as an insult ...
Then there is war.
-------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------
Why?
Because different languages have their content ...
I'm not a teacher or an interpreter, but I'll try to tell the main differences ...
(for writing this text I use Google - translator)

Difficulties for Russian, who learn English:

1. In English there is a strict order of words:
Subject-predicate-definition-circumstance.
To build an interrogative sentence, the English language changes the arrangement of words and adds the verbs Do, have Am ...
--------------------------------------------------
There is no such thing in Russian. Interrogative sentence is built only by intonation. The order of words in the sentence does not exist ....

==================================================
2. In the English language, the words THE and A exist:
There is no such thing in Russian.

==================================================
3. In English, the letters do not sound like they are written in the alphabet .. in addition, in English there is a "combination of letters", which sounds like a single letter ...
In Russian, each letter sounds like it is written

================================================== =
4. In English, verbs have 12 temporal forms ...
In Russian - verbs have 3 time forms

English is harder than Russian? :04::04::04:

Last edited:
  • Banned
Russian is one of the most complex languages in the world...

Difficulties for the Anglo-Saxon who study Russian

1. In English there are 2 declensions for nouns. Adjectives and verbs in English are not inclined
In Russian there are 6 declensions for nouns, adjectives and verbs. According to Mathematics, the Russian language has in this case = 6! = 1 * 2 * 3 * 4 * 5 * 6 = 720 more options than English!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. In English, all living people are called by gender He and SHE .... All other non-living things are called IT
In the Russian language, all living and nonliving objects have a gender:
Milk - IT, Tea - HE, Water - SHE

Is it enough?

:04:

• Banned
Then everyone should speak English, that will solve all problems..

After all English is the language of commerce around the world!
I repeat for the morons:

... a joke, spoken in Russian and translated by automatic translation, can be perceived by the Anglo-Saxon as an insult ...
... a joke, spoken in English and translated by automatic translation, can be perceived by the Russians as an insult ...

Then there is war.

I repeat for the morons:

Thank you for proving my point!

Everyone speak English and no one will ever be insulted, right?

Equally true for Russian, if everyone spoke Russian. As far as English being the language of commerce, if we fail to get our collective ass in gear, and continue on the path we have been on for the last year, in 20 years Chinese will be the language of commerce.

In answer to one comment of Selivan's concerning the spelling in English. English is a bastard language. It has words from French, the Germanic languages, old Celt, and many other languages. Even worse in the US, because we adapted many Native American words into the language. Unfortunately, especially in the case of the French words, we kept the original spelling, but not the pronunciation. And we also have many local words that even here, are understood only in a specific region. One I can think of specific to Oregon and Washington state is skookum. That is an local Indian word for something that is right for the task, an example would be 'that is a real skookum truck he has'.

Most of the morons on this forum learned everything they know about Russia from two sources:
Donald Trump, and Russian dashcam videos on YouTube:

I can't believe Selivan said "In Russian, each letter sounds like it is written"
Jiminy Crickets, I can't even wrap my tongue around the name of that Russian adoption attorney lady who is such a scandal in the Trump campaign, let alone spell it. Same with every Russian novel I've ever tried to read. Same with the Mueller indictment of 13 who-sits. I can't keep straight a jumble of letters that make no phonetic sense whatsoever.
Russian is impenetrable.

Unfortunately, especially in the case of the French words, we kept the original spelling, but not the pronunciation.

Yes this is one of the most difficult parts of English for foreigners, for example, the word "bought" has six letters, but the pronunciation of / bɑːt /.

I, too, have a problem with the pronunciation of Russian names. We had a Russian engineer for a while that was a superior engineer. He would come out and ask us what kinds of troubles we had with a machine that we planned to rebuild, and what we thought created the problem. Then he would go back and design fixes for the problem,and explain to us the whys of them so we would understand exactly what we had to do to fix the problems. As much a I liked and admired him, I could never get his name right. I felt really stupid for that.

Most of the morons on this forum learned everything they know about Russia from two sources:

LOL Well, imagine the US if suddenly most of the population got private cars in just a generation and a half. It would be the same. I have most of my information of Russia from the history books, and from Geology articles. The latter has resulted in a bucket list to at least see Lake Baikal in Russia.

Russian is one of the most complex languages in the world...

Difficulties for the Anglo-Saxon who study Russian

1. In English there are 2 declensions for nouns. Adjectives and verbs in English are not inclined
In Russian there are 6 declensions for nouns, adjectives and verbs. According to Mathematics, the Russian language has in this case = 6! = 1 * 2 * 3 * 4 * 5 * 6 = 720 more options than English!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. In English, all living people are called by gender He and SHE .... All other non-living things are called IT
In the Russian language, all living and nonliving objects have a gender:
Milk - IT, Tea - HE, Water - SHE

Is it enough?

:04:

I took one semester of Russian in college. What I remember of the gender of words is that the word "beard" was a feminine word.

LOL Well, imagine the US if suddenly most of the population got private cars in just a generation and a half. It would be the same. I have most of my information of Russia from the history books, and from Geology articles. The latter has resulted in a bucket list to at least see Lake Baikal in Russia.

Oh no dispute there. The problem is THAT
PLUS the fact that they don't even teach defensive driving, because it is felt that it conflicts with the general cultural values. In other words, they tend to sneer at concepts like defensive driving.

And I realize that is probably a weak explanation but a Russian would probably do it justice far better.
My own personal experience working with newly arrived Russians IN America is that they are truly puzzled by defensive driving, because they feel it is the sign of a weak personality.

So you are saying my joke doesn't translate well?
Tell me it back in English and we'll see.
Dems думайте что Россия поворачивает
время от времени их света дома

I repeat for the morons:

Then there is war.
Nyet...

Are you trying to say THIS:

800px-Pigeon_Point_Lighthouse_%282016%29.jpg

How is Russia like a lighthouse for Democrats?

Even worse in the US, because we adapted many Native American words into the language.

I know very little about English grammar, so I usually use an electronic translator. But I'm much interested in comparative linguistics, so the topic of comparing languages is close to me and interesting :)

In my opinion, on the part, written by you - is really a big problem. English has relatively poor phonetic characteristics. Therefore in English it is difficult to accurately transliterate foreign words. And, apparently, therefore, foreign words from languages with the Latin alphabet are usually written in the original language. This leads to great confusion. So the French Detroit = detʀwa (~ "de trua") is transformed into "Detroit" ("dɪtrɔɪt"). Versace = versaːtʃe] (~ "versache") turns into "Versace" :)

In Russian, all foreign words are used to transliterate. Even if these are words from languages using the Cyrillic alphabet. That is, all borrowed words in Russian are read in Russian. This introduces, of course, distortions through the Russian accent, but no one has a problem "how to read it?" :)

The Russian language is much rougher in terms of acoustics. We can not distinguish between English "ship" and "sheep" without training, they sound alike to us. Or "beach" and "bi*ch";) In Russian, the above is sound redundancy (the words are longer, more variations of sounds), but higher the jamming stability. The distorted Russian language is more understandable than the distorted English. Although German in this respect is even better than Russian;)

Odd conclusion considering that you just proved the exact opposite in your first post . . . .

The Russian language is easy to start reading. Because, as was said, the vast majority of words can be read directly in letters. And in those rare cases when the combinations of letters are not literally spelled, if you, nevertheless, pronounce the word in letters, you will still understand everything :)

For example, the Russian "what?" is written as "ch-t-o?", and is read as "sh-to-o?". But if you say "ch-t-o?", then you will understand everything :)

But in Russian, the structure of word formation is very complex for English-speaking people. English is analytical. The grammar of the language is built on a sequence of words, and the words themselves do not change much. Word formation is very primitive, there are few suffixes, there are no endings. The Russian language is synthetic. The order of words has very little value. A grammar is transmitted by changing the endings of words. Word formation goes through a lot of suffixes and prefixes, which can be very bizarrely combined. Here is a very hypertrophied example of a complex artificial synthetic language:

Ithkuil - Wikipedia

Look at the examples of the formation of words :) In Russian, something like this, albeit an order of magnitude simpler. Because of this, the Russian language is much thinner and more accurately conveys thoughts, but it is more difficult to study. Here for the Germans the Russian language is closer and more understandable, because German has a lot in common with the Russian in grammar.

bCiPTU5.jpg

Forum List

Back