Russia on "friendly" mode

mightypeon

Aug 4, 2008
Berlin Germany (NOT MASSACHUSETS)
Following a statement by Zbigniew Breczinsky that President Obama may not pursue the Rocket Shield programm in Poland and Tchechia, Russia announced that it will not deploy Iskander Missles in Kalinigrad (600km from Berlin).
Analysts expect a trade between the US and Russia, Russia is apperantly willing to provide the US with logistic support for their forces in Afghanistan, maybe even concerning the transport of military goods through Russia, in return for an equal partnership concerning all of Russias neighbours (so the US will not back Nato aspirants without Russian consent, effectivly Ukraine and Georgia will stay out of the Nato).

Parts of the Russian gouverment party in the Duma also offered a Joint Russo/US rocket shield in Aserbaidshan, right next to Iran.

Did not find an English link yet, but the Spiegel, one of the most acclaimed German Newspapers, writes it, it also makes sense from a political point of view.

Personally, I figure the US will agree to this provided that Russia gives clear and strong security guarantees for both Ukraine and Georgia.

Following a statement by Zbigniew Breczinsky that President Obama may not pursue the Rocket Shield programm in Poland and Tchechia, Russia announced that it will not deploy Iskander Missles in Kalinigrad (600km from Berlin).
Analysts expect a trade between the US and Russia, Russia is apperantly willing to provide the US with logistic support for their forces in Afghanistan, maybe even concerning the transport of military goods through Russia, in return for an equal partnership concerning all of Russias neighbours (so the US will not back Nato aspirants without Russian consent, effectivly Ukraine and Georgia will stay out of the Nato).

Parts of the Russian gouverment party in the Duma also offered a Joint Russo/US rocket shield in Aserbaidshan, right next to Iran.

Did not find an English link yet, but the Spiegel, one of the most acclaimed German Newspapers, writes it, it also makes sense from a political point of view.

Personally, I figure the US will agree to this provided that Russia gives clear and strong security guarantees for both Ukraine and Georgia.

Yea we can trust the Russians. I see no problem with this.:lol:

I think it is interesting that Obama seems to be getting what Bush wanted, by taking a respectful approach. the operative word being seems.

Y'all can rip into that if you like. :)

I think it is interesting that Obama seems to be getting what Bush wanted, by taking a respectful approach. the operative word being seems.

He is selling out, not getting what he wanted at all. No missile shield and selling out the old east block Countries at the same time. As noted, we sure have a reason to trust the Russians on this one, now don't we?

Russia is on "peace mode" because it can't afford to be in any other mode, its economy now felt what it is like to be dependent on a foreign country. If russia needs money, they are friendly but if they have a supply of money then you get situations like the Georgia-conflict and the placing of rockets to annoy western countries.

If russia would place those rockets, Western companies are likely to retreat even more from russia leaving it in a state of misery. Russia isn't going to order anyone around for a while, not as long as they need Western companies and investments to boost their economies.

Putin Is Ruining Russia's Economy - WSJ.com

I hope Obama will be smart enough to use this unpleasant situation against them, it is an unprecedented opportunity to put Russia on its place by taking advantage of their weakness like they took advantage of ours with the Georgia conflict, Ukraine pressuring, Gazprom.

Last edited:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo&feature=related]YouTube - Nelson[/ame]

Of course Russian went into friendly mode....the price of oil has fallen so badly that they can't be the bad boys on the block anymore.

The same people who ran the communist Soviet tyranny, now run a cronny capitalist Russia.

They used to be the elite of the communist system, now they're the richest people in Russia.

My, those commies certainly learned their lesson, eh?

Same with China, BTW.

But of course, China is our best friend, right?

He is selling out, not getting what he wanted at all. No missile shield and selling out the old east block Countries at the same time. As noted, we sure have a reason to trust the Russians on this one, now don't we?

Uh, how is he selling out the Eastern European countries??? Ukraine and Georgia shouldn't be in NATO. Us establishing a military alliance with the Ukraine and Georgia would be disasterous because it would provoke Russia. While I understand the need for not letting other countries dictate what we do, I also understand the need for playing the international politics game. Russia is the one giving nuclear fuel to Iran and if we play nice with Russia, the Ruskies may skip a delivery or two of plutonium.

Of course Russian went into friendly mode....the price of oil has fallen so badly that they can't be the bad boys on the block anymore.

The same people who ran the communist Soviet tyranny, now run a cronny capitalist Russia.

They used to be the elite of the communist system, now they're the richest people in Russia.

Same with China, BTW.

China isn't a threat. They have no Navy to speak of whatsoever. When China has to begin paying its workers REAL salaries, China will collapse.

England is more of a threat than China is.

Same with China, BTW.

China isn't a threat. They have no Navy to speak of whatsoever. When China has to begin paying its workers REAL salaries, China will collapse.

England is more of a threat than China is.

China is more of a threat than the Soviet Union was. They don't need a Navy they have nuclear missiles and 1.3 billion people. They are buying up the Panama Canal Zone, drilling in the Gulf of Mexico. They are like the Soviet Union with cash. FYI they are getting a Navy thanks to us and Wal-Mart.:eusa_shhh:

Well, considering Georgia, Russia response was, in my opinion, by far more legitimate than Israels "response" in Gaza. Dont forget that Georgia started to shoot, Or how else would they have temporarilly captured the South Ossetian capital on the first day? This is also what international observers claimed.
Why do people think that it is smart to take countires that have territorial disputes with of all states Russia into the Nato?
Does anyone fancy also taking in Taiwan and South Korea?

The EU already became a mess with taking in a number of states with some very particular interests regarding their foreign policy, I really dont think that it would be good if the Nato goes the same way even more than it does already.
Also considering that it is way cheaper to corrupt an Ukrainian or especially Georgian (have a look at their transparancy index) army official than a British one, taking them into the Nato would also open some easy to break doors for espionage actions. This already happened in the case of Lithuania, a plant the Russians had there anyway reached a record "usefullness" because he became the "coordinator" for everything with Nato.

Forum List

Back