Rule, Britannia! rule the waves: Britons never will be slaves.

Welsh (=Wales) is an old negative expression from Germanics for Celts. The word slave has nothing to do with it. Someone who spoke "welsh" (celtic) was attribuated to speak gibberish. That it had under Anglo-Saxons the meaning "not free, servile" is new to me.

Old English Wielisc, Wylisc (West Saxon), Welisc, Wælisc (Anglian and Kentish) "foreign; British (not Anglo-Saxon), Welsh; not free, servile," from Wealh, Walh "Celt, Briton, Welshman, non-Germanic foreigner;"
source: welsh | Origin and meaning of the name welsh by Online Etymology Dictionary

One more time: "Welsh; not free, servile". Sounds pretty like "slave".

Welsh (=Wales) is an old negative expression from Germanics for Celts. The word slave has nothing to do with it. Someone who spoke "welsh" (celtic) was attribuated to speak gibberish. That it had under Anglo-Saxons the meaning "not free, servile" is new to me.

Old English Wielisc, Wylisc (West Saxon), Welisc, Wælisc (Anglian and Kentish) "foreign; British (not Anglo-Saxon), Welsh; not free, servile," from Wealh, Walh "Celt, Briton, Welshman, non-Germanic foreigner;"
source: welsh | Origin and meaning of the name welsh by Online Etymology Dictionary

But this seems to be a special Anglo-Saxon interpretation of Celts (Welsh), which should be in Britain obsolete since very long centuries. (Or it is perhaps only a misinterpretation from British linguists). Irish, Scots, Brits, Welshman are a very important part - even a majority - of the English culture.

By the way: One of the best knowers for the Bavarian language in Bavaria is for example a Scott. He don't speak "Kauderwelsch" (= a not understandable confusing language) - he speaks very "deutlich", very clear. Or the people in Switzerland are "Helevtii" (=Celts, Welsh). They use the German language - in a typical form for Switzerland, which becomes more and more an own language. A simliar process had happened once in England, I guess.

Last edited:

But this seems to be a special Anglo-Saxon interpretation of Celts (Welsh), which should be in Britain obsolete since very long centuries. (Or it is perhaps only a misinterpretation from British linguists). Irish, Scots, Brits, Welshman are a very important part - even a majority - of the English culture.
Yes, interpretation of "Welsh" as "foreign", "british (not Anglo-Saxon"), "not free", "servile" was only in Old English, before Norman conquering. Then it (as well as significant part of the vocabulary) was changed with French terms.
And, yes, Ireland was the first English colony, and Irish people were supressed, genocided and almost enslaved for eight centures.

Yes, interpretation of "Welsh" as "foreign", "british (not Anglo-Saxon"), "not free", "servile" was only in Old English, before Norman conquering.

The Normans, who had conquered England in 1066, were since 300 years living in "France". As well Normans and Franks were Germanics too. In case of the Franks they stopped to speak a Germanic language in the western part and had started to speak Latin.

Then it (as well as significant part of the vocabulary) was changed with French terms.
And, yes, Ireland was the first English colony,

I know what England did do with the Irish people. I hated this very much, specially I hate murder and mass-murder.

and Irish people were supressed, genocided and almost enslaved for eight centures.

"Genocided" is a wrong expression in this context. The Irish overtook by the way the English language. Soon this will be the only legitimitation to use the English language any longer in the European Union. I would say the Brits stole the country of the Irish - and they did not stop to steal complete countries until they owned 25% of the world. I never will understand how it was able to happen that India was for 300 years a part of the United Kingdom. Strange, but whatever. The Irish never gave up and always trusted in god - and now they are a free nation on their own since a longer time of history. Similar situation with India. But: "Quo vadis, little Great Britain?"

Last edited:
The Irish never gave up and always trusted in god - and now they are a free nation on their own since a longer time of history.
Actually, no. Now they are enslaved by the EU. May be, this occupation is much softer than was the British one (may be not), but they are still not independent.

Like many other Americans, I have always been impressed that English cops have been unarmed, except when needed in a particular situation.

Well, those "particular situations" have increased over the decades.

Why?

Because England is no longer English.

The Irish never gave up and always trusted in god - and now they are a free nation on their own since a longer time of history.
Actually, no. Now they are enslaved by the EU.

The Irish ensalved? Now? You are a joker. Never in history was Ireland so free as today. Corona is problem this year - but not so the freedom of Ireland. Or do I not see something what's important for Ireland? Is there anywhere a rose in the shadow, which needs light to grow?

May be, this occupation is much softer than was the British one (may be not), but they are still not independent.

Occupation? Ireland? Could be more tourists there from all over Europe, I guess. And much better: More and more Irish could also be tourists in other countries all over the world - flying with clean aeroplanes. We will see - the Corona year 2020 is for sure a problem - but a better future will come. Perhaps not so for the Brits - as it looks like. They depend on nothing - not even on the idea to count also the covid-19 deaths in senior residences. And they count also on a hard Brexit. I fear that's also not good in case of the last rest of the still active Irish-British conflicts. My compassion for the Brits is high. But in case of Ireland I see just in the moment nothing what needs compassion. I have a good feeling for the future of Ireland.

Last edited:
Like many other Americans, I have always been impressed that English cops have been unarmed, except when needed in a particular situation.

Why?

Says who? Donald Trump?

Why?

Says who? Donald Trump?

He’s half British.

He is what? He's an idiot, who grew up in an ivory plane over NY.

Can’t you read?

Why?

Says who? Donald Trump?

He’s half British.

Can’t you read?

Take his British side and bring it to Britannia. Send the other side of his bio-genetical information to hell - we don't need it here in Germany. We have here enough idiots like him on our own.

Last edited:

Why?

Says who? Donald Trump?

He’s half British.

Can’t you read?

Take his Britsih side and bring it to Britannia. Send the other side of his bio-genetical information to hell - we don't need it here in Germany. We have here enough idiots like him on our own.

Idiots, yes.

Not like him. Like you.

Why?

Says who? Donald Trump?

He’s half British.

Can’t you read?

Take his Britsih side and bring it to Britannia. Send the other side of his bio-genetical information to hell - we don't need it here in Germany. We have here enough idiots like him on our own.

Idiots, yes.

Not like him. Like you.

Fortunatelly much more idiots like me. The last German I saw today was a young graceful man with his baby and an old dog. I loved it very much how the old dog took care. I loved it very much to see the baby studying some things in the nature around - and I loved it very much to see how the calm father kissed his baby. Three impressing characters in harmony with each other and the world all around.

In Donald Trump I'm only able to see a stupid, helpless, bumptious, authoritarian stuck-up twit, who has not any idea what he is escalating and what the consequences and collateral damages of his never ending senseless agressive stupidities will be.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back