Rubio vs Obama and natural born citizenship?

BBCAmerica

May 23, 2012
I read that Rubio was born in Miami to parents who were both Cuban citizens at the time of his birth. I have also read that it doesn't matter if Obama was born in Hawaii or not because according to the Constitution's definition, his father wasn't a citizen of the USA so Obama can't be a natural born citizen. The other arguments I have read, have people saying that because Obama's mother was a citizen and he was born here, he is a natural born citizen. So if either argument rings true. There is no possible way Rubio can be a natural born citizen if one of your parents has to be a citizen. Right?

The person themselves must be a natural born US citizen. Both Rubio and Obama are national born, US citizens, but that doesn't stop the birther idiots to keep trolling with their "Obama is a kenyan" crap. You can also bet the birther brigade would be in full force after Rubio as well for being a product of illegals if he had more light on him, say if he became the VP nom.

I read that Rubio was born in Miami to parents who were both Cuban citizens at the time of his birth. I have also read that it doesn't matter if Obama was born in Hawaii or not because according to the Constitution's definition, his father wasn't a citizen of the USA so Obama can't be a natural born citizen. The other arguments I have read, have people saying that because Obama's mother was a citizen and he was born here, he is a natural born citizen. So if either argument rings true. There is no possible way Rubio can be a natural born citizen if one of your parents has to be a citizen. Right?

Though some conservatives may contend that as the reason of rejecting Obama's citizenship- the argument by most was that it was suspected he was born in Kenya. It was further alleged that he applied for student grants on the notion he was a foreign national (that's why conservatives want to peek at his college records). The qualifications for president and vice president are clearly stated as "natural born citizen", Rubio therefor qualifies.

No Rubio was born in Spain, just like his parents.

Ricky Rubio
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a Catalan name. The first family name is Rubio and the second is Vives.
Ricky Rubio

No. 9 – Minnesota Timberwolves
Point guard
Personal information
Born October 21, 1990 (age 21)
El Masnou, Barcelona, Spain
Nationality Spain
Listed height 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)
Listed weight 180 lb (82 kg)
Career information
NBA Draft 2009 / Round: 1 / Pick: 5th overall
Selected by the Minnesota Timberwolves
Pro career 2005–present
League NBA
Career history
2005–2009 DKV Joventut Badalona
2009–2011 FC Barcelona Bàsquet
2011–present Minnesota Timberwolves
Career highlights and awards
NBA All-Rookie First Team (2012)
NBA BBVA Rising Star (2012)
FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship MVP (2006)
3× FIBA European Young Player of the Year (2007, 2008, 2009)
Superbasket Magazine's European Player of the Year: Mr. Europa (2008)
Euroleague Rising Star (2010)
Medals[hide]
Men's Basketball
Competitor for Spain
Olympic Games
Silver 2008 Beijing National Team
FIBA European Championship
Gold 2011 Lithuania National Team
Gold 2009 Poland National Team
Ricard "Ricky" Rubio i Vives (born October 21, 1990) is a Spanish professional basketball player for the Minnesota Timberwolves of the National Basketball Association (NBA). Rubio became the youngest player ever to play in the Spanish ACB League on October 15, 2005, at age 14.[1][2] He made his Euroleague debut on October 24, 2006, at age 16, becoming the first player born in the 1990s to play in a Euroleague game.[3] On June 25, 2009, he was drafted with the fifth pick in the first round of the 2009 NBA Draft by the Timberwolves,[4] making him the first player born in the 1990s to be drafted by the NBA. The Timberwolves had an agreement in principle with his former Spanish team, DKV Joventut, to buy out his contract, but Rubio backed out of the deal.[5] On August 31, 2009, Joventut traded the rights to Rubio to FC Barcelona,[6] and Rubio signed a six-year contract with FC Barcelona the following day.[7] On May 31, 2011, Rubio reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves for the 2011–12 NBA season.[8]
Ricky Rubio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The person themselves must be a natural born US citizen. Both Rubio and Obama are national born, US citizens, but that doesn't stop the birther idiots to keep trolling with their "Obama is a kenyan" crap. You can also bet the birther brigade would be in full force after Rubio as well for being a product of illegals if he had more light on him, say if he became the VP nom.

If Romney/Rubio won the election, the birthers would disappear
Just like the 9-11 Truthers disappeared after Bush left office

Rubio was born in the U.S. and is therefore a citizen. Case closed.

If Romney/Rubio won the election, the birthers would disappear
Just like the 9-11 Truthers disappeared after Bush left office

Well for one thing, Rubio is too young to be VP, the kid will be just 22 in October (see my link in my previous post)). There also is no birther issue with Rubio. He was born in Spain and he admits it. Also, you don't have to be American to play in the NBA, so this birther issue really doesn't apply.

Last edited:

You misread or misunderstood.

IF the President was born in Hawaii (which I assume is true), then under the law he is a U.S. citizen. Period.

IF he had been born in Kenya, however, with only one parent being a U.S. citizen at that time, but the other parent (the dad) being a citizen OF Kenya, then it would not be clear that the President would be a NATURAL BORN Citizen of the United States.

If Mr. Rubio was born IN the United States, then he IS a natural born citizen. Period.

The Constitution does not define the phrase natural-born citizen so, in reality, there is no true answer to your question in the eyes of our federal government.

So, my answer to your question is that Rubio and Obama could be both considered natural born citizens in my opinion based off the opinions made by judges in other cases where this type of citizenship was questioned.

IF the President was born in Hawaii (which I assume is true), then under the law he is a U.S. citizen. Period.

IF he had been born in Kenya, however, with only one parent being a U.S. citizen at that time, but the other parent (the dad) being a citizen OF Kenya, then it would not be clear that the President would be a NATURAL BORN Citizen of the United States.

If Mr. Rubio was born IN the United States, then he IS a natural born citizen. Period.

The Naturalization Act of 1790 stated that "the children of citizens of the United States that may be born beyond sea, or out of the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural born citizens"

So he would still be a natural born citizen as long as his mom is a citizen, which she is.

The Naturalization Act of 1790 stated that "the children of citizens of the United States that may be born beyond sea, or out of the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural born citizens"

So he would still be a natural born citizen as long as his mom is a citizen, which she is.

Citizens is plural.

Did you notice that your quote says "citizenS" and you have used that to apply to one citizen?

So if your father is not American you aren't either?:confused:

Though some conservatives may contend that as the reason of rejecting Obama's citizenship- the argument by most was that it was suspected he was born in Kenya. It was further alleged that he applied for student grants on the notion he was a foreign national (that's why conservatives want to peek at his college records). The qualifications for president and vice president are clearly stated as "natural born citizen", Rubio therefor qualifies.

As much as Obama, yes.

Rubio was born in the U.S. and is therefore a citizen. Case closed.

As was Obama. Case closed.

Forum List

Back