Rubio vs Obama and natural born citizenship?

You misread or misunderstood.

IF the President was born in Hawaii (which I assume is true), then under the law he is a U.S. citizen. Period.

IF he had been born in Kenya, however, with only one parent being a U.S. citizen at that time, but the other parent (the dad) being a citizen OF Kenya, then it would not be clear that the President would be a NATURAL BORN Citizen of the United States.

If Mr. Rubio was born IN the United States, then he IS a natural born citizen. Period.

The Naturalization Act of 1790 stated that "the children of citizens of the United States that may be born beyond sea, or out of the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural born citizens"

So he would still be a natural born citizen as long as his mom is a citizen, which she is.

Did you notice that your quote says "citizenS" and you have used that to apply to one citizen?

I saw that.
Title 8 of the U.S. Code Section 1401 defines the following as people who are "citizens of the United States at birth:"
•Anyone born inside the United States *
•Any Indian or Eskimo born in the United States, provided being a citizen of the U.S. does not impair the person's status as a citizen of the tribe
•Any one born outside the United States, both of whose parents are citizens of the U.S., as long as one parent has lived in the U.S.
•Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year and the other parent is a U.S. national
•Any one born in a U.S. possession, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year•Any one found in the U.S. under the age of five, whose parentage cannot be determined, as long as proof of non-citizenship is not provided by age 21
•Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is an alien and as long as the other parent is a citizen of the U.S. who lived in the U.S. for at least five years (with military and diplomatic service included in this time)
•A final, historical condition: a person born before 5/24/1934 of an alien father and a U.S. citizen mother who has lived in the U.S.

sorry i wasn't more specific, and sorry but Obama is a citizen no matter how much I dislike him as a president.

The Naturalization Act of 1790 stated that "the children of citizens of the United States that may be born beyond sea, or out of the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural born citizens"

So he would still be a natural born citizen as long as his mom is a citizen, which she is.

Did you notice that your quote says "citizenS" and you have used that to apply to one citizen?

I saw that.
Title 8 of the U.S. Code Section 1401 defines the following as people who are "citizens of the United States at birth:"
•Any Indian or Eskimo born in the United States, provided being a citizen of the U.S. does not impair the person's status as a citizen of the tribe
•Any one born outside the United States, both of whose parents are citizens of the U.S., as long as one parent has lived in the U.S.
•Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year and the other parent is a U.S. national
•Any one born in a U.S. possession, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year•Any one found in the U.S. under the age of five, whose parentage cannot be determined, as long as proof of non-citizenship is not provided by age 21
•Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is an alien and as long as the other parent is a citizen of the U.S. who lived in the U.S. for at least five years (with military and diplomatic service included in this time)
•A final, historical condition: a person born before 5/24/1934 of an alien father and a U.S. citizen mother who has lived in the U.S.

sorry i wasn't more specific, and sorry but Obama is a citizen no matter how much I dislike him as a president.

The highlighted wouldn't help Pres. Obama IF he had been born in Kenya since his father was not a U.S. national. He was not born in a territory or outlying possession of the USA.
He was a Kenyan.

rubio either lied or was told stories by the family that ended up being false..

will it hurt his chances?

rubio lied about his family

Wat did Ricky Rubio lie about? hes been pretty honest since he started playing in the NBA.

He said his family came as cuban refugees.

they left before castro had power.

Now I am willing to give him the "old family story" break if the right is willing to do the same for others.

they wont

TdM lies. What he said wasn't a "lie" if he was simply mistaken. Assholes like TdM who don't give a crap about honesty themselves love to pretend that all inaccurate statements (of those whom they wish to slime) are "lies." But such is not the case.

A lie is a false statement made with the knowledge that it is false.

When Sen. Rubio said that his parents had fled Castro's Cuba, he apparently thought that WAS the timeline. Being wrong about it is NOT the same thing as lying.

Rubio said he would sneak into the US if he had to.

anyone with a brain would. Its our job to make sure they dont, although him being Cuban, they didnt have to sneak, we know how bad commies are and let them in for FREE!

Wat did Ricky Rubio lie about? hes been pretty honest since he started playing in the NBA.

Now I am willing to give him the "old family story" break if the right is willing to do the same for others.

they wont

TdM lies. What he said wasn't a "lie" if he was simply mistaken. Assholes like TdM who don't give a crap about honesty themselves love to pretend that all inaccurate statements (of those whom they wish to slime) are "lies." But such is not the case.

A lie is a false statement made with the knowledge that it is false.

When Sen. Rubio said that his parents had fled Castro's Cuba, he apparently thought that WAS the timeline. Being wrong about it is NOT the same thing as lying.

gee are you soooo forgiving of Warren?

rubio lied about his family

they wont

Ricky Rubio is from Cuba? I'm pretty sure he is from Spain, he played for them in the Olympics in 2008.

I read that Rubio was born in Miami to parents who were both Cuban citizens at the time of his birth. I have also read that it doesn't matter if Obama was born in Hawaii or not because according to the Constitution's definition, his father wasn't a citizen of the USA so Obama can't be a natural born citizen. The other arguments I have read, have people saying that because Obama's mother was a citizen and he was born here, he is a natural born citizen. So if either argument rings true. There is no possible way Rubio can be a natural born citizen if one of your parents has to be a citizen. Right?

You misread or misunderstood.

IF the President was born in Hawaii (which I assume is true), then under the law he is a U.S. citizen. Period.

IF he had been born in Kenya, however, with only one parent being a U.S. citizen at that time, but the other parent (the dad) being a citizen OF Kenya, then it would not be clear that the President would be a NATURAL BORN Citizen of the United States.

If Mr. Rubio was born IN the United States, then he IS a natural born citizen. Period.

No he wouldn't. The Naturalization Act of 1790 was repealed in 1795. In 1961, the law stated that Obama's mother would not have been old enough to confer U.S. citizenship to baby Barack if he was born out of the country. That law changed in 1986.

I saw that.

The highlighted wouldn't help Pres. Obama IF he had been born in Kenya since his father was not a U.S. national. He was not born in a territory or outlying possession of the USA.
He was a Kenyan.

Hmm I thought his mother being American was enough to seal the deal? :dunno:

I saw that.

He was a Kenyan.

Not according to the very law cited by PLYMCO_PILGRIM.

Compare:

both of whose parents are citizens of the U.S., as long as one parent has lived in the U.S.

with:

if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year and the other parent is a U.S. national

He was a Kenyan.

Compare:

both of whose parents are citizens of the U.S., as long as one parent has lived in the U.S.

with:

if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year and the other parent is a U.S. national

Whats the difference between a US Citizen and a US National? this is confusing, Military families have kids born overseas all the time with a parent of a different country like Korea or Germany and those kids are Americans.

I saw that.

Title 8 Sec 1401 specifically defines only a Citizen, not a natual born Citizen. Article 2 Section 1 for the presidency specifically calls for the term 'Natural Born Citizen' to be eligible.:

[No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.]

The only time a Citizen could be president was at the time of the adoption of the Constitution until time for Constitutional Article 2 natural born Citizen could be born several presidents later. Those first few Citizen presidents were grandfathered in, hence the Article 2 Section 1 Clause 5 grandfather clause.

Marco Rubio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marco Antonio Rubio (born May 28, 1971) is the junior United States Senator from Florida, serving since January 2011. A member of the Republican Party, he previously served as Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives (2007–2009).

Born to Cuban immigrants, Rubio was raised in Miami, Florida, and Las Vegas, Nevada

I saw that.

Title 8 Sec 1401 specifically defines only a Citizen, not a natual born Citizen. Article 2 Section 1 for the presidency specifically calls for the term 'Natural Born Citizen' to be eligible.:

No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

The only time a Citizen could be president was at the time of the adoption of the Constitution until time for Constitutional Article 2 natural born Citizen could be born several presidents later. Those first few Citizen presidents were grandfathered in, hence the Article 2 Section 1 Clause 5 grandfather clause.

So basically only a person born in the US can run for President? what about John McCain? he was born in Panama.

Compare:

with:

Whats the difference between a US Citizen and a US National? this is confusing, Military families have kids born overseas all the time with a parent of a different country like Korea or Germany and those kids are Americans.

Military bases are considered US Soil and therefor you have citizenship.

Forum List

Back