Ronald Reagan and the Taliban

Funny story, or sad if you really think about it.......

They were talking about Hamas, a girl raised her hand and said,"Oh, I love Hummus, I eat it all the time!"

My daughter said she just looked at the teacher, the teacher looked at her, and they both burst out laughing.

One thing about my kid, she LOVES learning about World Events.

Uh oh. Now you've done it. You've gone and insulted the great Conservative God.

In Reagan's defense, they weren't the Taliban when we were funding them. Only when we stopped funding them did they become the Taliban.

How sad for your daughter that the first line of her link contains an editing error in Reagan's speech. He referred to "Afghan freedom fighters" and your daughter's educational tools included this editing comment, "[the Taliban]".

The Taliban were only one of the mujahideen, and one that the ISI supported.

No doubt there are other inexact errors and misleading information as well, but I have yet to look. That's really a shame.

My 14 yo is studying terrorism in social studies right now.

Oh that's dispicable!!!

Indoctrination at it's WORST!!!!

What...are they teaching her how to wire herself up?

Next, they will teach her about the pleasures of lesbianism!!!

How sad for your daughter that the first line of her link contains an editing error in Reagan's speech. He referred to "Afghan freedom fighters" and your daughter's educational tools included this editing comment, "[the Taliban]".

No doubt there are other inexact errors and misleading information as well, but I have yet to look. That's really a shame.

She just showed it to me, she's not using it to write a report.

She found this ON HER OWN, because she was interested in what they talked about in class. She's like that, if something catches her interest she wants to learn more about it.

The fact is, we were funding Hekmatyar, Haqquani, and the other Pashtun factions that would go on to become the Taliban and make our "most wanted" list.

We virtually ignored all other factions of the Muhajadeen, to include Massoud at our peril. We should have listened to the French, not the Paks.

It's not like we had any indication before the 80s that Hekmatyar was a ruthless thug.

Oh wait.... We totally did!

The fact is, we were funding Hekmatyar, Haqquani, and the other Pashtun factions that would go on to become the Taliban and make our "most wanted" list.

We virtually ignored all other factions of the Muhajadeen, to include Massoud at our peril. We should have listened to the French, not the Paks.

It's not like we had any indication before the 80s that Hekmatyar was a ruthless thug.

Yet, it is sad that an educational tool is not accurate - it is simplistic, misleading, and does not reflect the situation. At the time Reagan made the speech, the Taliban were not even organized. I have no idea what is so difficult about being accurate when presenting material to students.

My 14 yo is studying terrorism in social studies right now. She showed me this site, I found it very interesting. My, how times change!

What's so interesting? We supported the Red Chinese during WW II against the Japaneese. We actually sold them missle technology so they could build ICBMS that could reach N. America AND carry nukes.

Clinton embraced Hafaz Assad.

Nothing new here, just another attempt by the teacher's unions to blame reagan for 9/11.

Next....

Yet, it is sad that an educational tool is not accurate - it is simplistic, misleading, and does not reflect the situation. At the time Reagan made the speech, the Taliban were not even organized. I have no idea what is so difficult about being accurate when presenting material to students.

Again:

THIS WAS NOT PRESENTED AS A LEARNING TOOL BY HER TEACHER!

She looked this up, ON HER OWN, AT HOME, because she is interested in learning more about how the Taliban started, among other things.

Lots of things kids look up on the internet may not be 100%, that's what you get when you get rid of encyclopedias, eh?

Considering that the majority of people in this country can't even find Afghanistan on a map, I applaud them for trying even if they missed some of the nuance.

Reagan certainly shoulders some of the blame for the emergence of the Taliban, but he doesn't shoulder all or most of it (IMO). Our foreign policy is notoriously short-sighted and that hardly begins or ends with one president.

Again:

THIS WAS NOT PRESENTED AS A LEARNING TOOL BY HER TEACHER!

She looked this up, ON HER OWN, AT HOME, because she is interested in learning more about how the Taliban started, among other things.

Lots of things kids look up on the internet may not be 100%, that's what you get when you get rid of encyclopedias, eh?
Good. Then I hope your daughter looks at several sources. And if she doesn't then I hope her teacher is thorough in giving her the information.

I have no idea what your reference to getting rid of encyclopedias means.

I swear, I think some of you need to go back to school and take reading comprehension 101.
Or maybe some should go back to school so that they can understand non sequiturs. Just because I responded the way I did, does not mean that I don't comprehend what you wrote earlier. I didn't see it as I was busy elsewhere.

Piss off with your baseless and kneejerk assumption and gratuitous insult, EZ.

I swear, I think some of you need to go back to school and take reading comprehension 101.
Or maybe some should go back to school so that they can understand non sequiturs. Just because I responded the way I did, does not mean that I don't comprehend what you wrote earlier. I didn't see it as I was busy elsewhere.

Speaking of piss....

Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning?

Speaking of piss....

No one. I did not deserve that kneejerk assumption.

Speaking of piss....

No one. I did not deserve that kneejerk assumption.

"Lighten up, Francis."

To be fair, I was talking to Soggy in LA too, where the hell does the teachers union blaming 9/11 on Reagan come from? :cuckoo:

And of course, he jumped right in with his idiot comment before reading that this was NOT FROM A TEACHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just think people need to not jump to conclusions before they post.

You saying the word non sequitur means nothing since you abuse it so very much. How do you like those apples, pearl clutcher?

Forum List

Back