Ronald Reagan and The Children

The Great Trickledownalater gave two speeches to school children during his acting tour as President.

Both of them pushed his tax cuts for the rich.

Go figure. Must be a liberal thing.:lol:

Link and quotes?

You still won't admit CON$ are America hating hypocrites even with links.

Remarks and a Question-and-Answer Session With Students of John A. Holmes High School of Edenton, North Carolina

We've been working to take an economy that was in bad shape and get it moving and growing again; take our national defense and make it first-rate again after a long period of decline; and to restore reason, respect, and reality to our foreign policy. And I think it's fair to say that we've made a good deal of progress. Only 5 years ago our economy suffered from high inflation, high interest rates, mushrooming government spending, and steadily increasing unemployment. A lot of people couldn't find jobs, and people on fixed incomes were finding it harder to buy the basics, such as food and shelter. Well, we got inflation down, interest rates down, and our economy created over 1\1/2\ million new jobs just last year alone. The poor are now increasingly able to dig themselves out of poverty, and that's been good economic news.
The good news in defense is that our Armed Forces, which were suffering from neglect and low funding, have now made a comeback. Morale is up in the services, and the quality of our men and women in uniform has never been better -- and I mean never. As a matter of fact, we have the highest percentage of high school graduates in uniform today than we've ever had in the history of our nation, even back when we had the compulsory draft. In addition, our nation has encouraged a more realistic sense of defense needs.

We have to remain economically competitive, and that means being aware of two things: first, what makes economies tick, and second, what works in other societies. We've been trying very hard in Washington to make America even more economically fit by really overhauling our entire tax structure. When we came into office, the top personal tax rate that the Federal Government could put on your income was 70 percent. Now, you can understand, I think, that if you were getting up in those brackets -- there were 14 different tax brackets, depending on the amount of money in each bracket you earned. And when you could look and say, ``If I earn another dollar, I only get to keep 30 cents out of it,'' you can imagine the lack of incentive there. Well, we lowered it to 50 percent, and the economy really took off. Now we're trying to lower it yet again so that families can keep more of their money and so the national economy will be lean and trim and fit for the future.

There are a number of things that I've thought we did rather well and was proud of. But right now, the fact that both the Senate and the House have passed tax reform legislation for the income tax -- meaning that when we can get those two together -- one of their programs they passed, I don't like at all. The other one's pretty good. But both of them can be improved. This, I think, would be the greatest achievement. We have had an income tax system that was passed in 1913 and has grown to be such a monster that virtually -- well, the main part of the people in our country have to hire professional help to find out how much they owe the Government. And the tax is such that if you make a mistake, the Government then comes back and penalizes you and charges you a fine for having made a mistake. At the same time, the Government has warned you not to seek advice from their own employees, because their own employees don't understand the law. And, therefore, you'd be penalized for their mistake.
Now, as I told you, 14 brackets in the income tax and -- all the way up to 50 percent. When I was in motion pictures -- and as you know, motion pictures do pay a little above the average scale if you make a go of it -- you'd come to a time the top bracket was 90 percent. Well, you'd come to a point in which you were in the 90-percent bracket. And somebody would offer you a fine picture, and you'd just love to do it. But you said, ``I'm not going to do that picture for 10 cents on the dollar.''
Well, today this tax that the Senate -- or bill that the Senate has passed has only two brackets: 15 percent and then 27 percent. Meaning that there would always be an incentive, even if you're in the 27-percent bracket, because you're going to get to keep 73 cents out of every dollar you earn no matter how many dollars those are. And it's been simplified to the place that you won't need a public accountant to tell you how much you owe. You can figure out your tax yourself. It's fair. There will be about 6 million people at the bottom of the scale who'll be dropped from having to pay any income tax at all. And about 80 percent of the people will be in that 15-percent bracket.
So, I think the fact that we have finally gotten the Congress of the United States to deal with this problem of tax reform is the greatest achievement. And I'm going to be riding herd all the way to see that we finally get it through.

You consider that "America hating"?

Do you live in Opposite World?

If Obama's speech is this tame (and I've no doubt it will be about as lame as lame can get besides) I'm not concerned about it.

But let's not paper the world with propaganda and "prepare" the students.

Besides which, I could care less if the presidents want to address college age or near-college age students.

And I have no problem with telling kids to set goals to achieve their education. Just as I have absolutely no problem with the president pointing out the importance of the military.

if that is the true text of reagan's speech.....then my thoughts are:

1. it is irrelevent to compare this to obama....different times and most likely different people posting on this board than were voting back then

2. appears reagan did use schools to bullypulpit his politics, i don't agree with that and think it is wrong....the government thinks there is a reason you can't vote till you're 18.....

3. so, libs, to pull up something from pre internet era and say.....loook, you didn't say anything....is fucking stupid.....think about it

If you are referring to my link, it came from the Reagan Library!

the page doesn't say that....and a url can be hijacked....so i that is why asked.....further.....you spliced different parts of the page and made into your own "speech".....so it looked fake....

next time you splice....say so, its dishonest to make it look like it all come from a speech and not some from Q&A etc.....

I also posted some of his tax cut crapt to the school kids.

Ali, you are in denial.

And Yurt, it is the same. It's wrong for a president to pitch politics to school kids using this venue.

After he gives his talk and doesn't Reaganize it, the right will claim he changed because they caught him in time.

Since the right lost and a black man is president, some folks on the right have shown their true colors.:(

And screw anyone who says that race has nothing to do with the opposition to him by some on the right who's America isn't their America anymore.

Fffing losers.

Link and quotes?

Remarks and a Question-and-Answer Session With Students of John A. Holmes High School of Edenton, North Carolina

We've been working to take an economy that was in bad shape and get it moving and growing again; take our national defense and make it first-rate again after a long period of decline; and to restore reason, respect, and reality to our foreign policy. And I think it's fair to say that we've made a good deal of progress. Only 5 years ago our economy suffered from high inflation, high interest rates, mushrooming government spending, and steadily increasing unemployment. A lot of people couldn't find jobs, and people on fixed incomes were finding it harder to buy the basics, such as food and shelter. Well, we got inflation down, interest rates down, and our economy created over 1\1/2\ million new jobs just last year alone. The poor are now increasingly able to dig themselves out of poverty, and that's been good economic news.
The good news in defense is that our Armed Forces, which were suffering from neglect and low funding, have now made a comeback. Morale is up in the services, and the quality of our men and women in uniform has never been better -- and I mean never. As a matter of fact, we have the highest percentage of high school graduates in uniform today than we've ever had in the history of our nation, even back when we had the compulsory draft. In addition, our nation has encouraged a more realistic sense of defense needs.

We have to remain economically competitive, and that means being aware of two things: first, what makes economies tick, and second, what works in other societies. We've been trying very hard in Washington to make America even more economically fit by really overhauling our entire tax structure. When we came into office, the top personal tax rate that the Federal Government could put on your income was 70 percent. Now, you can understand, I think, that if you were getting up in those brackets -- there were 14 different tax brackets, depending on the amount of money in each bracket you earned. And when you could look and say, ``If I earn another dollar, I only get to keep 30 cents out of it,'' you can imagine the lack of incentive there. Well, we lowered it to 50 percent, and the economy really took off. Now we're trying to lower it yet again so that families can keep more of their money and so the national economy will be lean and trim and fit for the future.

There are a number of things that I've thought we did rather well and was proud of. But right now, the fact that both the Senate and the House have passed tax reform legislation for the income tax -- meaning that when we can get those two together -- one of their programs they passed, I don't like at all. The other one's pretty good. But both of them can be improved. This, I think, would be the greatest achievement. We have had an income tax system that was passed in 1913 and has grown to be such a monster that virtually -- well, the main part of the people in our country have to hire professional help to find out how much they owe the Government. And the tax is such that if you make a mistake, the Government then comes back and penalizes you and charges you a fine for having made a mistake. At the same time, the Government has warned you not to seek advice from their own employees, because their own employees don't understand the law. And, therefore, you'd be penalized for their mistake.
Now, as I told you, 14 brackets in the income tax and -- all the way up to 50 percent. When I was in motion pictures -- and as you know, motion pictures do pay a little above the average scale if you make a go of it -- you'd come to a time the top bracket was 90 percent. Well, you'd come to a point in which you were in the 90-percent bracket. And somebody would offer you a fine picture, and you'd just love to do it. But you said, ``I'm not going to do that picture for 10 cents on the dollar.''
Well, today this tax that the Senate -- or bill that the Senate has passed has only two brackets: 15 percent and then 27 percent. Meaning that there would always be an incentive, even if you're in the 27-percent bracket, because you're going to get to keep 73 cents out of every dollar you earn no matter how many dollars those are. And it's been simplified to the place that you won't need a public accountant to tell you how much you owe. You can figure out your tax yourself. It's fair. There will be about 6 million people at the bottom of the scale who'll be dropped from having to pay any income tax at all. And about 80 percent of the people will be in that 15-percent bracket.
So, I think the fact that we have finally gotten the Congress of the United States to deal with this problem of tax reform is the greatest achievement. And I'm going to be riding herd all the way to see that we finally get it through.

If Obama's speech is this tame (and I've no doubt it will be about as lame as lame can get besides) I'm not concerned about it.

Besides which, I could care less if the presidents want to address college age or near-college age students.

And I have no problem with telling kids to set goals to achieve their education. Just as I have absolutely no problem with the president pointing out the importance of the military.

I see you finally found the link, but I see you are still playing dumb.
I was calling CON$ like YOU America haters, not Reagan's propaganda.

I also posted some of his tax cut crapt to the school kids.

Ali, you are in denial.

And Yurt, it is the same. It's wrong for a president to pitch politics to school kids using this venue.

After he gives his talk and doesn't Reaganize it, the right will claim he changed because they caught him in time.

Since the right lost and a black man is president, some folks on the right have shown their true colors.:(

And screw anyone who says that race has nothing to do with the opposition to him by some on the right who's America isn't their America anymore.

Fffing losers.

your racist bullshit fails.....see libs complain about bush speech:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...abounds-liberals-whine-about-bush-speech.html

So provide a link that backs that up, dumshit.
And neg rep for being ridiculous.

Link and quotes?

I also posted a link that the papers he is passing out is so the children can discuss the importance of education. Obama is so terrible he is spreading propaganda about education.:doubt:

Oh well.
So long as there aren't any posters of Che going out. Or pics of young kids dying in the streets, I could care less.

if that is the true text of reagan's speech.....then my thoughts are:

1. it is irrelevent to compare this to obama....different times and most likely different people posting on this board than were voting back then

2. appears reagan did use schools to bullypulpit his politics, i don't agree with that and think it is wrong....the government thinks there is a reason you can't vote till you're 18.....

3. so, libs, to pull up something from pre internet era and say.....loook, you didn't say anything....is fucking stupid.....think about it

the page doesn't say that....and a url can be hijacked....so i that is why asked.....further.....you spliced different parts of the page and made into your own "speech".....so it looked fake....

next time you splice....say so, its dishonest to make it look like it all come from a speech and not some from Q&A etc.....

The poster asked for quotes relating to taxes, so I pulled the quotes that related to his tax plans.

The poster asked for quotes relating to taxes, so I pulled the quotes that related to his tax plans.

ok.....i just was reading it straight and it didn't mesh....

good link btw

So provide a link that backs that up, dumshit.
And neg rep for being ridiculous.

I can always tell when I nailed the America hating CON$ cold, they are reduced to nothing but spiteful neg reps. :rofl:
Thank you!

No one said that except you, Ali.:cuckoo:

It is about pushing politics to school kids by Reagan and now the right is pissing and moaning that Obama will do that when he won't.

Many on The right have become such a hateful group of closed minded lemmings since Obama has been elected. I know it has nothing to do with his race, but only his politics - Duh.

Last edited:
Obamariods still trying and failing to make a genuine comparison between Obama and Reagan. The Obama KoolAid destroys the brain cells.

Obama...He the best...best ever...hope change...the best...we need people like him...to make us all...hopey and chagey.

scarface-photo-xl-scarface-6235696.jpg

It is about pushing politics to school kids by Reagan and now the right is pissing and moaning that Obama will do that when he won't.

Many on The right have become such a hateful group of closed minded lemmings since Obama has been elected. I know it has nothing to do with his race, but only his politics - Duh.

You have a bad case of Obamaroids, Reagan was talking about what he accomplished, he wasn't enlisting 4th graders in his cause

You have a bad case of Obamaroids, Reagan was talking about what he accomplished, he wasn't enlisting 4th graders in his cause

Show where that is in the lesson plan, please:

Before the Speech:
• Quick Write or Think/Pair/Share (Students spend a few minutes Thinking and writing about the question; Paired with another student to discuss, then Sharing their ideas with the class as a whole). What do we associate with the words responsibility, persistence, and goals? How would we define each term? A teacher might create a web of student ideas for each of the words.
• Quick Write or Brainstorm: What are your strengths? At what are you successful as a person/student? What makes you successful at these efforts? List at least three things you are successful at and why you feel successful with these tasks.
• Short readings. Notable quotes excerpted (and posted in large print on board) from President Obama’s speeches about education. Teacher might ask students to think alone, compare ideas with a partner, and share their collaborations with the class (Think/Pair/Share) about the following: What are our interpretations of these excerpts? Based on these excerpts, what can we infer the President believes is important to be successful educationally?
• Brainstorm or Concept Web: Why does President Obama want to speak with us today? How will he inspire us? How will he challenge us? What might he say?
• Brainstorm or Concept Web: What other historic moments do you remember when the President spoke to the nation? What was the impact? Students could create a Cause/Effect graphic organizer.

During the Speech:
• Listening with a purpose: personal responsibility, goals, persistence. Teachers might ask pairs of students to create a word bank from the web of any one of the terms (personal responsibility, goals, or persistence) at the top of a double-column style notes page. On the right-hand side, students could take notes while President Obama talks about personal responsibility, or goals, or persistence, trying to capture direct quotations. At the end of the speech, students could then write the corresponding terms from the word bank in the left hand column, to increase retention and deepen their understanding of an important aspect of the speech.
• Listening with a purpose: Inspiration and Challenges. Using a similar double-column style notes page as the one above, the teacher could focus students on quotations that either propose a specific challenge to them or inspire them in some meaningful way. Students could do this individually, in pairs or groups.

Transition/Quick Review: Teachers could ask students to look over the notes and collaborate in pairs or small groups. What more could we add to our notes? Teachers might circulate and ask students questions such as: What are the most important words in the speech? What title would you give it? What’s the thesis?

After the Speech:
Guided Discussion:
• What resonated with you from President Obama’s speech? What lines/phrases do you remember?
• Who is President Obama addressing? How do you know? Describe his audience.
• We heard President Obama mention the importance of personal responsibility. In your life, who exemplifies this kind of personal responsibility? How? Give examples.
• How are we as individuals and as a class similar? Different?
• Suppose President Obama were to give another speech about being educationally successful. Who could he speak to next? Who should be his next audience? Why? What would he say?
• What are the three most important words in the speech? Rank them. What title would you give this speech? What’s the thesis?
• What is President Obama inspiring you to do? What is he challenging you to do?
• What do you believe are the challenges of your generation?
• How can you be a part of addressing these challenges?
Video Project:
• Teachers could encourage students to participate in the Department of Education’s “I Am What I Learn” video contest. On September 8th the Department will invite K-12 students to submit a video no longer than 2 min, explaining why education is important and how their education will help them achieve their dreams. Teachers are welcome to incorporate the same or a similar video project into an assignment. More details will be released via U.S. Department of Education Home Page.

and you don't know what you are talking about, no where in his speech is obama putting forth a political agende or trying to gain support for his cause moron. He is discussing the importance of education and staying in school and the papers he is handing out are tools to help students discuss the importance of education, passed presidents, and what they can do make sure they achieve a good education.

Show where that is in the lesson plan, please:

Before the Speech:
• Quick Write or Think/Pair/Share (Students spend a few minutes Thinking and writing about the question; Paired with another student to discuss, then Sharing their ideas with the class as a whole). What do we associate with the words responsibility, persistence, and goals? How would we define each term? A teacher might create a web of student ideas for each of the words.
• Quick Write or Brainstorm: What are your strengths? At what are you successful as a person/student? What makes you successful at these efforts? List at least three things you are successful at and why you feel successful with these tasks.
• Short readings. Notable quotes excerpted (and posted in large print on board) from President Obama’s speeches about education. Teacher might ask students to think alone, compare ideas with a partner, and share their collaborations with the class (Think/Pair/Share) about the following: What are our interpretations of these excerpts? Based on these excerpts, what can we infer the President believes is important to be successful educationally?
• Brainstorm or Concept Web: Why does President Obama want to speak with us today? How will he inspire us? How will he challenge us? What might he say?
• Brainstorm or Concept Web: What other historic moments do you remember when the President spoke to the nation? What was the impact? Students could create a Cause/Effect graphic organizer.

During the Speech:
• Listening with a purpose: personal responsibility, goals, persistence. Teachers might ask pairs of students to create a word bank from the web of any one of the terms (personal responsibility, goals, or persistence) at the top of a double-column style notes page. On the right-hand side, students could take notes while President Obama talks about personal responsibility, or goals, or persistence, trying to capture direct quotations. At the end of the speech, students could then write the corresponding terms from the word bank in the left hand column, to increase retention and deepen their understanding of an important aspect of the speech.
• Listening with a purpose: Inspiration and Challenges. Using a similar double-column style notes page as the one above, the teacher could focus students on quotations that either propose a specific challenge to them or inspire them in some meaningful way. Students could do this individually, in pairs or groups.

Transition/Quick Review: Teachers could ask students to look over the notes and collaborate in pairs or small groups. What more could we add to our notes? Teachers might circulate and ask students questions such as: What are the most important words in the speech? What title would you give it? What’s the thesis?

After the Speech:
Guided Discussion:
• What resonated with you from President Obama’s speech? What lines/phrases do you remember?
• Who is President Obama addressing? How do you know? Describe his audience.
• We heard President Obama mention the importance of personal responsibility. In your life, who exemplifies this kind of personal responsibility? How? Give examples.
• How are we as individuals and as a class similar? Different?
• Suppose President Obama were to give another speech about being educationally successful. Who could he speak to next? Who should be his next audience? Why? What would he say?
• What are the three most important words in the speech? Rank them. What title would you give this speech? What’s the thesis?
• What is President Obama inspiring you to do? What is he challenging you to do?
• What do you believe are the challenges of your generation?
• How can you be a part of addressing these challenges?
Video Project:
• Teachers could encourage students to participate in the Department of Education’s “I Am What I Learn” video contest. On September 8th the Department will invite K-12 students to submit a video no longer than 2 min, explaining why education is important and how their education will help them achieve their dreams. Teachers are welcome to incorporate the same or a similar video project into an assignment. More details will be released via U.S. Department of Education Home Page.

Wait, is this what Reagan sent out?

and you don't know what you are talking about, no where in his speech is obama putting forth a political agende or trying to gain support for his cause moron. He is discussing the importance of education and staying in school and the papers he is handing out are tools to help students discuss the importance of education, passed presidents, and what they can do make sure they achieve a good education.

Too bad the White House disagrees with you.

"White House Withdraws Call for Students to 'Help' Obama

President Obama's plan to speak to the nation's schoolchildren in a video address next week erupted into controversy as critics claimed he was trying to indoctrinate America's kids. "

White House Withdraws Call for Students to 'Help' Obama - Political News - FOXNews.com

wow he wanted them to help him educate them better and to help themselves in achieving all they can be.
God he is fucking terrible man.

Forum List

Back