Ronald Reagan and The Children

The Great Trickledownalater gave two speeches to school children during his acting tour as President.

Both of them pushed his tax cuts for the rich.

Go figure. Must be a liberal thing.:lol:

so did George HW Bush.

link.....i want specific evidence that both used the talk to children to push their political agenda....and not just a talk about how school is important.....

I provided one link for both cases.
George Bush used his address to kick off his 8 million dollar war on drugs, I guess that worked out well.

What does the resistance to Obama speaking to children say about the attitudes of parents?

They don't trust him.

Why don't they trust him?

I think we all know that answer and it's not because he's black.
I remember when George Bush Sr gave the address about the war on drugs to school children, my parents did not stop me from listening to it even though they didn't trust the guy.
It says more about the parents then it does Obama.

i see....so what you're really saying is....obama's speech is a war on health.....

The Great Trickledownalater gave two speeches to school children during his acting tour as President.

Link and quotes?

You still won't admit CON$ are America hating hypocrites even with links.

Remarks and a Question-and-Answer Session With Students of John A. Holmes High School of Edenton, North Carolina

We've been working to take an economy that was in bad shape and get it moving and growing again; take our national defense and make it first-rate again after a long period of decline; and to restore reason, respect, and reality to our foreign policy. And I think it's fair to say that we've made a good deal of progress. Only 5 years ago our economy suffered from high inflation, high interest rates, mushrooming government spending, and steadily increasing unemployment. A lot of people couldn't find jobs, and people on fixed incomes were finding it harder to buy the basics, such as food and shelter. Well, we got inflation down, interest rates down, and our economy created over 1\1/2\ million new jobs just last year alone. The poor are now increasingly able to dig themselves out of poverty, and that's been good economic news.
The good news in defense is that our Armed Forces, which were suffering from neglect and low funding, have now made a comeback. Morale is up in the services, and the quality of our men and women in uniform has never been better -- and I mean never. As a matter of fact, we have the highest percentage of high school graduates in uniform today than we've ever had in the history of our nation, even back when we had the compulsory draft. In addition, our nation has encouraged a more realistic sense of defense needs.

We have to remain economically competitive, and that means being aware of two things: first, what makes economies tick, and second, what works in other societies. We've been trying very hard in Washington to make America even more economically fit by really overhauling our entire tax structure. When we came into office, the top personal tax rate that the Federal Government could put on your income was 70 percent. Now, you can understand, I think, that if you were getting up in those brackets -- there were 14 different tax brackets, depending on the amount of money in each bracket you earned. And when you could look and say, ``If I earn another dollar, I only get to keep 30 cents out of it,'' you can imagine the lack of incentive there. Well, we lowered it to 50 percent, and the economy really took off. Now we're trying to lower it yet again so that families can keep more of their money and so the national economy will be lean and trim and fit for the future.

There are a number of things that I've thought we did rather well and was proud of. But right now, the fact that both the Senate and the House have passed tax reform legislation for the income tax -- meaning that when we can get those two together -- one of their programs they passed, I don't like at all. The other one's pretty good. But both of them can be improved. This, I think, would be the greatest achievement. We have had an income tax system that was passed in 1913 and has grown to be such a monster that virtually -- well, the main part of the people in our country have to hire professional help to find out how much they owe the Government. And the tax is such that if you make a mistake, the Government then comes back and penalizes you and charges you a fine for having made a mistake. At the same time, the Government has warned you not to seek advice from their own employees, because their own employees don't understand the law. And, therefore, you'd be penalized for their mistake.
Now, as I told you, 14 brackets in the income tax and -- all the way up to 50 percent. When I was in motion pictures -- and as you know, motion pictures do pay a little above the average scale if you make a go of it -- you'd come to a time the top bracket was 90 percent. Well, you'd come to a point in which you were in the 90-percent bracket. And somebody would offer you a fine picture, and you'd just love to do it. But you said, ``I'm not going to do that picture for 10 cents on the dollar.''
Well, today this tax that the Senate -- or bill that the Senate has passed has only two brackets: 15 percent and then 27 percent. Meaning that there would always be an incentive, even if you're in the 27-percent bracket, because you're going to get to keep 73 cents out of every dollar you earn no matter how many dollars those are. And it's been simplified to the place that you won't need a public accountant to tell you how much you owe. You can figure out your tax yourself. It's fair. There will be about 6 million people at the bottom of the scale who'll be dropped from having to pay any income tax at all. And about 80 percent of the people will be in that 15-percent bracket.
So, I think the fact that we have finally gotten the Congress of the United States to deal with this problem of tax reform is the greatest achievement. And I'm going to be riding herd all the way to see that we finally get it through.

and it doesn't really fucking matter what they talked about, they were our Presidents and no one protested them doing this. The kids sat through it probably barely paying attention and then went on with their normal lives. They respected the fact they were our President and knew it wasn't a big deal.

I provided one link for both cases.
George Bush used his address to kick off his 8 million dollar war on drugs, I guess that worked out well.

drugs were and are affecting schools....and if you are honest you will admit that the "war" was already underway.....he wasn't SELLING it or trying to INDOCTRINATE people to take a political stance....

if he wants to tell kids to eat healthy, exercise more....cool.....but to use this as a poltical bullypulpit is troubling.....what about those "suggested" class handouts......not biased....no, not at all :eusa_hand:

What does the resistance to Obama speaking to children say about the attitudes of parents?

They don't trust him.

I remember when George Bush Sr gave the address about the war on drugs to school children, my parents did not stop me from listening to it even though they didn't trust the guy.

i see....so what you're really saying is....obama's speech is a war on health.....

he is going to talk about education and staying in school, it is going to be a short speech. Get the fuck over it!

and it doesn't really fucking matter what they talked about, they were our Presidents and no one protested them doing this. The kids sat through it probably barely paying attention and then went on with their normal lives. They respected the fact they were our President and knew it wasn't a big deal.

it absolutely does matter.....

would approve of bush giving a speech to kids about the need to invade iraq and remove saddam? of course not.....don't be a partisan hack here.....

and notice the difference.....obama has class handouts, study guides etc.....

he is going to talk about education and staying in school, it is going to be a short speech. Get the fuck over it!

thats it? link please.

Link and quotes?

You still won't admit CON$ are America hating hypocrites even with links.

Remarks and a Question-and-Answer Session With Students of John A. Holmes High School of Edenton, North Carolina

We've been working to take an economy that was in bad shape and get it moving and growing again; take our national defense and make it first-rate again after a long period of decline; and to restore reason, respect, and reality to our foreign policy. And I think it's fair to say that we've made a good deal of progress. Only 5 years ago our economy suffered from high inflation, high interest rates, mushrooming government spending, and steadily increasing unemployment. A lot of people couldn't find jobs, and people on fixed incomes were finding it harder to buy the basics, such as food and shelter. Well, we got inflation down, interest rates down, and our economy created over 1\1/2\ million new jobs just last year alone. The poor are now increasingly able to dig themselves out of poverty, and that's been good economic news.
The good news in defense is that our Armed Forces, which were suffering from neglect and low funding, have now made a comeback. Morale is up in the services, and the quality of our men and women in uniform has never been better -- and I mean never. As a matter of fact, we have the highest percentage of high school graduates in uniform today than we've ever had in the history of our nation, even back when we had the compulsory draft. In addition, our nation has encouraged a more realistic sense of defense needs.

We have to remain economically competitive, and that means being aware of two things: first, what makes economies tick, and second, what works in other societies. We've been trying very hard in Washington to make America even more economically fit by really overhauling our entire tax structure. When we came into office, the top personal tax rate that the Federal Government could put on your income was 70 percent. Now, you can understand, I think, that if you were getting up in those brackets -- there were 14 different tax brackets, depending on the amount of money in each bracket you earned. And when you could look and say, ``If I earn another dollar, I only get to keep 30 cents out of it,'' you can imagine the lack of incentive there. Well, we lowered it to 50 percent, and the economy really took off. Now we're trying to lower it yet again so that families can keep more of their money and so the national economy will be lean and trim and fit for the future.

There are a number of things that I've thought we did rather well and was proud of. But right now, the fact that both the Senate and the House have passed tax reform legislation for the income tax -- meaning that when we can get those two together -- one of their programs they passed, I don't like at all. The other one's pretty good. But both of them can be improved. This, I think, would be the greatest achievement. We have had an income tax system that was passed in 1913 and has grown to be such a monster that virtually -- well, the main part of the people in our country have to hire professional help to find out how much they owe the Government. And the tax is such that if you make a mistake, the Government then comes back and penalizes you and charges you a fine for having made a mistake. At the same time, the Government has warned you not to seek advice from their own employees, because their own employees don't understand the law. And, therefore, you'd be penalized for their mistake.
Now, as I told you, 14 brackets in the income tax and -- all the way up to 50 percent. When I was in motion pictures -- and as you know, motion pictures do pay a little above the average scale if you make a go of it -- you'd come to a time the top bracket was 90 percent. Well, you'd come to a point in which you were in the 90-percent bracket. And somebody would offer you a fine picture, and you'd just love to do it. But you said, ``I'm not going to do that picture for 10 cents on the dollar.''
Well, today this tax that the Senate -- or bill that the Senate has passed has only two brackets: 15 percent and then 27 percent. Meaning that there would always be an incentive, even if you're in the 27-percent bracket, because you're going to get to keep 73 cents out of every dollar you earn no matter how many dollars those are. And it's been simplified to the place that you won't need a public accountant to tell you how much you owe. You can figure out your tax yourself. It's fair. There will be about 6 million people at the bottom of the scale who'll be dropped from having to pay any income tax at all. And about 80 percent of the people will be in that 15-percent bracket.
So, I think the fact that we have finally gotten the Congress of the United States to deal with this problem of tax reform is the greatest achievement. And I'm going to be riding herd all the way to see that we finally get it through.
How many brains did Ronnie damage with that speech? It was almost like he was preaching hatred of America. Sad.

In a recent interview with student reporter Damon Weaver, President Obama announced that on September 8 – the first day of school for many children across America – he will deliver a national address directly to students on the importance of education. The President will challenge students to work hard, set educational goals, and take responsibility for their learning. He will also call for a shared responsibility and commitment on the part of students, parents and educators to ensure that every child in every school receives the best education possible so they can compete in the global economy for good jobs and live rewarding and productive lives as American citizens.
Since taking office, the President has repeatedly focused on education, even as the country faces two wars, the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression and major challenges on issues like energy and health care. The President believes that education is a critical part of building a new foundation for the American economy. Educated people are more active civically and better informed on issues affecting their lives, their families and their futures.

This is the first time an American president has spoken directly to the nation’s school children about persisting and succeeding in school. We encourage you to use this historic moment to help your students get focused and begin the school year strong. I encourage principals, teachers, and students to join me in watching the President deliver this address on Tuesday, September 8, 2009. It will be delivered live on the White House Web site Welcome to the White House at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Standard Time.

In advance of this address, we would like to share the following resources: a menu of classroom activities for students in grades preK-6 and for students in grades 7-12. These are ideas developed by and for teachers to help engage students and stimulate discussion on the importance of education in their lives. We are also staging a student video contest on education. Details of the video contest will be available on our Web site U.S. Department of Education Home Page in the coming weeks.

On behalf of all Americans, I want to thank our educators who do society’s most important work by preparing our children for work and for life. No other task is more critical to our economic future and our social progress. I look forward to working with you in the months and years ahead to continue improving the quality of public education we provide all of our children.

Sincerely,

Arne Duncan, U.S. Secretary of Education

Obama to deliver Web address to school children on Sept. 8

wow they are passing out fliers to help children discuss the importance of education at school, the nerve of these people.

if that is the true text of reagan's speech.....then my thoughts are:

1. it is irrelevent to compare this to obama....different times and most likely different people posting on this board than were voting back then

2. appears reagan did use schools to bullypulpit his politics, i don't agree with that and think it is wrong....the government thinks there is a reason you can't vote till you're 18.....

3. so, libs, to pull up something from pre internet era and say.....loook, you didn't say anything....is fucking stupid.....think about it

They don't trust him.

I have no problem with a president meeting with school children and discussing the constitution, the different branches of the government, the electoral college, the way things work, even history or current events. Provided it's done to educate, not indoctrinate, and it's carefully neutral.

Papering the schools with propaganda is beyond the pale, as is "preparing" the teachers, who in turn are to "prepare" the kids, if that's what is happening.

There's nothing funnier than watching a high-level politician fielding questions from uncoached kids.

There's nothing scarier than watching a high-level politician attempting to program them.

Where's the link to Reagan trying to indcotrinate kids?
where is the link Obama is going to do anything but talk about the importance of education?
You guys spin it and then start to believe it.

This thread is about the fact that if Reagan and Bush did it, it's okay for Obama. And there's no link for it.

There's still no link for it.

So where does that leave us?

Oh yeah. Spin and the left's lying threads. No wonder Ravi made an appearance.

if that is the true text of reagan's speech.....then my thoughts are:

1. it is irrelevent to compare this to obama....different times and most likely different people posting on this board than were voting back then

2. appears reagan did use schools to bullypulpit his politics, i don't agree with that and think it is wrong....the government thinks there is a reason you can't vote till you're 18.....

3. so, libs, to pull up something from pre internet era and say.....loook, you didn't say anything....is fucking stupid.....think about it

If you are referring to my link, it came from the Reagan Library!

My kids see Obama yammer all the time on the news. They'd rather watch Spongebob or iCarly. I'm sure when he "addresses" them their eyes will glaze over and they will grab their little handheld pokemon & princess games and zone out.

At first they used to get sort of excited, because he was on TV and we'd had talks about the election and how important it is to vote, and the basics of the republic.

But now it like "Oh no, HIM again? Does he ever SHUT UP? Quick, turn it to a commercial!"

I have no problem with a president meeting with school children and discussing the constitution, the different branches of the government, the electoral college, the way things work, even history or current events. Provided it's done to educate, not indoctrinate, and it's carefully neutral.

Papering the schools with propaganda is beyond the pale, as is "preparing" the teachers, who in turn are to "prepare" the kids, if that's what is happening.

There's nothing funnier than watching a high-level politician fielding questions from uncoached kids.

There's nothing scarier than watching a high-level politician attempting to program them.

where is the link Obama is going to do anything but talk about the importance of education?

This thread is about the fact that if Reagan and Bush did it, it's okay for Obama. And there's no link for it.

As I have said repeatedly, nobody plays dumb better than CON$.

I've already posted the link directly from the Reagan Presidential Library. And I also at the same time predicted you would never admit the truth even after the link was provided.

CON$ are sooooooo predictable. :rofl:

Last edited:

I think Ed pretty much proved Reagan was trying to use his address for political reasons when it came to tax cuts and the economy. He posted the whole speech and proved our point.

Forum List

Back