Ron Paul: Federal Response To Hurricane Unnecessary

People die when they ignore evacuation orders.

Hey how many people in New Orleans who refused to evacuate for Hurricane Ivan died?

Hey how many people in New Orleans who refused to evacuate for Hurricane Georges died?

Hey how many people in New Orleans who refused to evacuate for Hurricane Andrew died?

Each the largest evacuation in U.S. history at the time.
With the exception that the Katrina evacuation was both ineptly run and, to a great extent, ignored by a pretty large portion of the New Orleans population.

That's not even true. The Katrina evacuation was the largest in U.S. history at the time and 80%-85% of the city evacuated. As a result - the hurricane itself didn't kill that many people. People died because man made structures failed to operate to their designed specifications.

Last edited:
More than 6,000 men, women and children lost their lives. Among the dead were 10 sisters and 90 children from the St. Mary's Orphans Asylum, operated by the Sisters of Charity.

The sisters also operated St. Mary's Infirmary in Galveston. It was the first Catholic hospital in the state, established in 1867.

They were also charged with caring for orphaned children, most of whom had lost parents during yellow fever epidemics.

The 1900 Storm: Galveston, Texas

So this is Ron Paul’s reactionary dream, and the dream of his supporters and most on the right: to return to a time when thousands lost their lives in hurricanes and yellow fever epidemics.

Whatever Paul and the right’s pathetic fantasy, we can never return to the past; and the policies they advocate are equally useless.

It's like they've turned into my grandpa. "When I was a kid, we had to walk to school in snow up to our armpits!! Uphill!! BOTH WAYS!!!"

Yeah, it was better then, old man.

Hey how many people in New Orleans who refused to evacuate for Hurricane Ivan died?

Hey how many people in New Orleans who refused to evacuate for Hurricane Georges died?

Hey how many people in New Orleans who refused to evacuate for Hurricane Andrew died?

With the exception that the Katrina evacuation was both ineptly run and, to a great extent, ignored by a pretty large portion of the New Orleans population.

That's not even true. The Katrina evacuation was the largest in U.S. history at the time and 80%-85% of the city evacuated. As a result - the hurricane itself didn't kill that many people. People died because man made structures failed to operate to their designed specifications.

People died because people didn't leave when they were told to.

Taking that number at face value (which I don't) that still leaves upwards of 100,000 people in urban NO alone.

Hardly what I would consider any kind of model of efficiency and competence, in the face of a 50+ year storm.

People died because people didn't leave when they were told to.

People died because a man made structure failed to operate as designed.

Taking that number at face value (which I don't)
What figure do you have? I got mine here: US Not Prepared for Another Hurricane Katrina, Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin and ex-FEMA Chief Michael Brown Agree

that still leaves upwards of 100,000 people in urban NO alone.

Yeah. About 25k of which rode out the storm in the superdome. Many of the rest lived on high ground. Many of those left after that simply did not want to leave their homes.

Hardly what I would consider any kind of model of efficiency and competence, in the face of a 50+ year storm.

If you can point to a larger evacuation prior to Katrina with > 80% evacuated, I'd love to see it.

Ron Paul thinks states don't need FEMA to help with natural disasters. I guess he should tell Rick Perry to give all of that money back. I don't understand why cons love this guy so much. He sounds like a loon to me.

First Read - Ron Paul: No FEMA response necessary

GILFORD, N.H. -- After a lunch speech today, Ron Paul slammed the Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA, and said that no national response to Hurricane Irene is necessary.
"We should be like 1900; we should be like 1940, 1950, 1960," Paul said. "I live on the Gulf Coast; we deal with hurricanes all the time. Galveston is in my district.
Yeah, Paul, Galveston is in your district. And what happened in Galveston 100 or so years ago? A hurricane that killed thousands. Too bad we can't go back to the way things were in 1900, when thousands died because of a lack of emergency preparedness.

My guess is the first thing he would do is tell the federal government to stop taxing people to pay for disaster relief, then he could tell states to pay for it out of their increased share of taxes they can keep.

On the other hand, I can think for myself, which you evidently find a challenge.

The guy is a fool. He says get rid of the FBI and let the states handle it. He ignores the fact that in 20s and 30s before the FBI, bank robbers would rob a bank in one state and race for the state border. Then they would rob a bank in the next state. The states were powerless to stop this, since their jurisdiction stopped at the state lines!

His philosophy is that a state can handle itself better than the entire country. I find that thinking ironic, since the strongest countries in the world are the larger one. All the BRIC countries are the LARGE countries.

Radical Paul is a fool! It's his same reasoning that the civil war didn't need to be fought. That we could have done what England did and buy all the slaves from the South and then free them. That is a pipe-dream. Our countries situation was a lot different. No way the South would give up their slaves without a fight!

Ron Paul thinks states don't need FEMA to help with natural disasters. I guess he should tell Rick Perry to give all of that money back. I don't understand why cons love this guy so much. He sounds like a loon to me.

GILFORD, N.H. -- After a lunch speech today, Ron Paul slammed the Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA, and said that no national response to Hurricane Irene is necessary.
"We should be like 1900; we should be like 1940, 1950, 1960," Paul said. "I live on the Gulf Coast; we deal with hurricanes all the time. Galveston is in my district.
Yeah, Paul, Galveston is in your district. And what happened in Galveston 100 or so years ago? A hurricane that killed thousands. Too bad we can't go back to the way things were in 1900, when thousands died because of a lack of emergency preparedness.

And you ignore the fact that the FBI did not catch most of those bank robbers. And the fact that, in order to justify their existence, the FBI now investigates crimes that do not cross state lines.

So, we're going to compare a Cat 5 storm that struck without notice in 1900 with any given storm today, where' there are several days at least, if not a week's, worth of notice to evacuate and prepare?

And y'all wonder why people mock and laugh at you? :lol:

Any given storm today? What are you talking about? Have been paying attention to the news? There is a CAT 1 storm currently striking the east coast. Maybe that means nothing to you, but for the thousands without power, it actually does mean something. Seriously, what are you saying? Anything below a CAT 5 storm isn't worthy of emergency response? That's a pretty weak defense of Paul's ignorant statement. Are you sure you want to stick with that? If that's the best you can do, maybe you just shouldn't say anything.

How much information about that storm you are talking about did you get from the NOAA?

Google your state disaster recovery agency and you will see FEMA, FEMA, FEMA plastered everywhere from federal grants to plans to resources. Eliminate FEMA and you're going to explode the size and cost of disaster recovery in every state.
Where in hell do you think FEMA gets its money, that friggin' Tooth Fairy?

SHEEEEEEESH! :rolleyes:
It is absolutely absurd to propose that there should be no national leadership and planning for national disasters. At the first sign of a major disaster, state and local government are on the phone to the federal government asking what can you do, when can you do it, and what are we to do. Take the federal government out of the picture and you will have one great clusterfuck. State disaster planning and recover depends heavily on federal support.

Google your state disaster recovery agency and you will see FEMA, FEMA, FEMA plastered everywhere from federal grants to plans to resources. Eliminate FEMA and you're going to explode the size and cost of disaster recovery in every state.
Where in hell do you think FEMA gets its money, that friggin' Tooth Fairy?

SHEEEEEEESH! :rolleyes:
It is absolutely absurd to propose that there should be no national leadership and planning for national disasters. At the first sign of a major disaster, state and local government are on the phone to the federal government asking what can you do, when can you do it, and what are we to do. Take the federal government out of the picture and you will have one great clusterfuck. State disaster planning and recover depends heavily on federal support.
PFFFFFFT!

Fact remains that funding for all that "federal support" doesn't come out of a vacuum, Bubba.

What's absurd is that anyone would turn to far-removed federal bureaucrats as the supposed (says you) first call for any kind of locally relevant help...As though anyone and everyone in the midst of a natural disaster is totally helpless, in the absence of the benevolent patronage of Big Daddy Big Gubmint.

Double PFFFFFT!

Last edited:
So, we're going to compare a Cat 5 storm that struck without notice in 1900 with any given storm today, where' there are several days at least, if not a week's, worth of notice to evacuate and prepare?

Any given storm today? What are you talking about? Have been paying attention to the news? There is a CAT 1 storm currently striking the east coast. Maybe that means nothing to you, but for the thousands without power, it actually does mean something. Seriously, what are you saying? Anything below a CAT 5 storm isn't worthy of emergency response? That's a pretty weak defense of Paul's ignorant statement. Are you sure you want to stick with that? If that's the best you can do, maybe you just shouldn't say anything.

How much information about that storm you are talking about did you get from the NOAA?
The National Hurricane Center which is a part of NOAA is responsible for providing predictions, storm characteristics, tracking information, storm category, and naming for all tropical storms and hurricanes. They are the official source for all hurricane information used by disaster planning.

I guess Paul, would like to replace them with your local TV weatherman.

Yeah, I know that no liberals are defending Paul (and for good reason). It's the kooky cons who are defending him. And as we've seen from your posts, your defense is extremely weak.
FEMA should be let loose only if requested .The agency is bloated and ineffective.
BTW, your side went cuckoo for cocoa puffs when FEMA didn't move it's collective ass quickly enough to save New Orleans.

Will all these FEMA NUTS love FEMA so much when they are ushered into those camps they have ready to insure they continue to be in control. Be careful what you wish for. You want a government agency to provide for your every need? Bureau of prisons can do that.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::cuckoo:

Sounds like somebody forgot to take their meds

My guess is the first thing he would do is tell the federal government to stop taxing people to pay for disaster relief, then he could tell states to pay for it out of their increased share of taxes they can keep.

On the other hand, I can think for myself, which you evidently find a challenge.

So, because I expect the fed gov't to provide disaster relief, I can't think for myself? Apparently, you find it challenging to not come across as a delusional asshole.

Pretty much all of it. Are there any other silly questions you'd like to ask me? Like how often do I use interstate highways, or how much of my electricity comes from the national grid?

:cuckoo:

Another idiot that doesn't understand neighbors helping neighbors.

Oh the horror of my people helping me instead of my big daddy gubmit.

And the freaking nightmare of pulling yourself up. :eek:

And you wonder why so many of us consider liberals little more than children.

:lol::lol::lol:

Way to put words in my mouth. Where did I say that neighbors shouldn't help neighbors? And where did I say that the fed gov't is the only solution? Unlike Paul, and ass-hats like yourself, I believe that the fed gov't does play a role in providing for the general welfare of its citizens. You know, like it says in the Constitution. That doesn't mean that I want the fed gov't to do everything for me. There are just some things that I can't do on my own - like rescue people stranded by flooded out bridges; like fly in helicopters to provide supplies to stranded citizens; like fix broken bridges and roads. And you wonder why so many of us consider a lot of cons to be delusional idiots.

Way to put words in my mouth. Where did I say that neighbors shouldn't help neighbors? And where did I say that the fed gov't is the only solution? Unlike Paul, and ass-hats like yourself, I believe that the fed gov't does play a role in providing for the general welfare of its citizens. You know, like it says in the Constitution. That doesn't mean that I want the fed gov't to do everything for me. There are just some things that I can't do on my own - like rescue people stranded by flooded out bridges; like fly in helicopters to provide supplies to stranded citizens; like fix broken bridges and roads. And you wonder why so many of us consider a lot of cons to be delusional idiots.

You agian show how you lack mentally.

Ever hear of state government?

They are more than capable of doing everything you listed w/o yet another vast central fed coming to save the day.

Your personnal lack of comprehention amazes me.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal

You agian show how you lack mentally.

Ever hear of state government?

They are more than capable of doing everything you listed w/o yet another vast central fed coming to save the day.

Your personnal lack of comprehention amazes me.

Again, where did I say that states can't help their citizens? You have a problem with putting words in people's mouths, don't you? Sure, states should provide as much assistance as possible - I never said otherwise - but to say that there is no place for the fed gov't in emergency situations (or any situation for that matter) is beyond naive; it's complete ignorance.

Forum List

Back