Romney threw big bird under the bus

Romney will cut funding to Big Bird?
That is the best you have?
Big Bird and the Rest of the Sesame Street Gang don't need government funding, they are quite successful on their own. In fact, they find it insulting that people think they need government assistance to get by.

Big Bird and the Rest of the Sesame Street Gang don't need government funding, they are quite successful on their own. In fact, they find it insulting that people think they need government assistance to get by.

I would classify it more as INVESTMENT, not a hand out.

Leaving aside "Sesame Street" for a second, does PBS provide a public benefit?

PBS has 350 Member stations across the US, it's programs are viewed by 123 million Americans. It employs tens of thousands of people.

It improves literacy and education.

In short, we get more back as a country from that 440 million spent on PBS than we do on 440 million spent on, let's say, a F-22 Raptor that has never seen combat even though we've been involved in 2 wars in the last decade.

If Big Bird is so all important to you, break out your checkbook.

IF tax subsidies to Exxon are so important, break out your checkbook.

If the F-22 Raptor is so important, break out your checkbook.

Now, I concede, we probably should look at ending CPB's subsidy at some point. But it's a drop in the bucket compared to other things, and at the end of the day, the things we all agree the government should do will cost a lot more and the only way to keep funding them is to raise taxes.

PBS has 350 Member stations across the US, it's programs are viewed by 123 million Americans. It employs tens of thousands of people.

In short, we get more back as a country from that 440 million spent on PBS than we do on 440 million spent on, let's say, a F-22 Raptor that has never seen combat even though we've been involved in 2 wars in the last decade.

Hey if you people in Illinois want to keep Big Bird, pony up the $$$$ yourselves................on wait, you can't your state is more broken than the feds. You can't pay your own debts but you want the rest of us to follow your ridiculous spending ideas. No doubt you want to keep Big Bird especially if you can force me to pay for it.

God, I'm so glad I got out of that Hell Hole!! Oh snap, let me restate that........I'm so glad I got out of that over spending, paying off politicians, ridiculous Union wages Hell Hole.

Hey if you people in Illinois want to keep Big Bird, pony up the $$$$ yourselves................on wait, you can't your state is more broken than the feds. You can't pay your own debts but you want the rest of us to follow your ridiculous spending ideas. No doubt you want to keep Big Bird especially if you can force me to pay for it.

God, I'm so glad I got out of that Hell Hole!! Oh snap, let me restate that........I'm so glad I got out of that over spending, paying off politicians, ridiculous Union wages Hell Hole.

You and me both, left Illinois back in the 80's after growing up there...Haven't been back since

It employs tens of thousands of people.

oh boy, WE get to PAY people to run Big Bird..

gives you the warm fuzzies doesn't it.

Actually, it does... Since all my neices and nephews learned how to read growing up with Big Bird and Barney.

These folks were paid for a service. I'd rather have the money spent on that than Mitt buying dressage horses and car elevators after cheating workers out of their jobs.

So now you're down living in "Deliverance" country and you think that's an improvment?

"SQUEAL LIKE A PIG!"

Somehow, I suspect I'm paying more taxes than you are... but since I don't want to get into a discussion where you pretend you aren't living in a trailer park, praying to Jay-zus that we smite the sinners, I'll just leave it at that.

It employs tens of thousands of people.

Actually, it does... Since all my neices and nephews learned how to read growing up with Big Bird and Barney.

These folks were paid for a service. I'd rather have the money spent on that than Mitt buying dressage horses and car elevators after cheating workers out of their jobs.

Excuse me, BUT what mitt does WITH HIS money is not my worry, Big Bird taking money from our children is.

My son grew up watching Big Bird. That's when Big Bird was poor and had just been hatched. Big Bird is now Big Money and can afford to support himself. Sesame Street is one big commercial for Sesame Street toys today. If Big Bird went commercial, in the time slot that it currently occupies, it would be able to support itself quite easily. After all, the muppet movies make tons of money on their own. Public financing of Big Bird amounts to an unfair subsidy for Hasbro Toys.

What's puzzling is that democrats are always complaining about corporate welfare and how corporations get unfair tax breaks. How democrats could support the continued public financing of a franchise like Sesame Street is beyond me. It's not like the characters are in the public domain and can be used by the public. Try it and see how fast you get slapped with a copyright infringement lawsuit.

Excuse me, BUT what mitt does WITH HIS money is not my worry, Big Bird taking money from our children is.

It isn't Mitt's money.

It's money he made putting working folks out of jobs, sending jobs overseas, destroying entire communities.

Which has become a virtue with today's GOP.

Hense, why you can't sell your message even in a bad economy. Everyone tunes you out.

My son grew up watching Big Bird. That's when Big Bird was poor and had just been hatched. Big Bird is now Big Money and can afford to support himself. Sesame Street is one big commercial for Sesame Street toys today. If Big Bird went commercial, in the time slot that it currently occupies, it would be able to support itself quite easily. After all, the muppet movies make tons of money on their own. Public financing of Big Bird amounts to an unfair subsidy for Hasbro Toys.

What's puzzling is that democrats are always complaining about corporate welfare and how corporations get unfair tax breaks. How democrats could support the continued public financing of a franchise like Sesame Street is beyond me. It's not like the characters are in the public domain and can be used by the public. Try it and see how fast you get slapped with a copyright infringement lawsuit.

The Muppet Movies don't engage in anything educational.

The thing is, Sesame Street isn't a big commercial. yes, there are toys, but the purpose of the show isn't to sell the toys, or create ad time for Fast Food, Candy and other toys, which is what most other children's programming is designed to do.

What that 440 million dollar grant for PBS is an investment that creates billions of dollars in job creation and public benefit. It is exactly the oppossite of a lot of the boondoggles such as buying weapons system the military doesn't want to keep jobs in a community or money going to big contractors.

It isn't Mitt's money.

It's money he made putting working folks out of jobs, sending jobs overseas, destroying entire communities.

Which has become a virtue with today's GOP.

Hense, why you can't sell your message even in a bad economy. Everyone tunes you out.

tired of you repeating the same crap over and over..Just vote for Obama his wonderful job growing (four years of over 8% unemployment) in this country and stop pretending you are a Republican

tired of you repeating the same crap over and over..Just vote for Obama his wonderful job growing (four years of over 8% unemployment) in this country and stop pretending you are a Republican

When the Republican Party returns to sanity, I'll happily come back.

That means kicking the Corporate Bloodsuckers and Religious Crazies to the curb.

Obama didn't get us into this mess, Bush did.

And Romney wants to do the same shit that got us into this, but double down.

romney-bigbird.jpg

The Muppet Movies don't engage in anything educational.

The thing is, Sesame Street isn't a big commercial. yes, there are toys, but the purpose of the show isn't to sell the toys, or create ad time for Fast Food, Candy and other toys, which is what most other children's programming is designed to do.

What that 440 million dollar grant for PBS is an investment that creates billions of dollars in job creation and public benefit. It is exactly the oppossite of a lot of the boondoggles such as buying weapons system the military doesn't want to keep jobs in a community or money going to big contractors.

Wal Mart creates more jobs than Sesame Street. Maybe we should pay for all their advertising too!

There is no reason, whatesoever, that Sesame Street can't support itself. It makes enough money to do so. Public funding of Sesame Street is an advertising subsidy for Hasbro.

Wal Mart creates more jobs than Sesame Street. Maybe we should pay for all their advertising too!

There is no reason, whatesoever, that Sesame Street can't support itself. It makes enough money to do so. Public funding of Sesame Street is an advertising subsidy for Hasbro.

Do you know how much subsidies WalMart gets from Government to expand operations...

Report says Wal-Mart received $1B in government subsidies. - May. 24, 2004

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Over $1 billion in government subsidies have gone into transforming discounter Wal-Mart Stores from a regional discount store operator into the world's largest retailer, according to a report Monday from Good Jobs First, a Washington-based subsidy watchdog group.

"Wal-Mart presents itself as an entrepreneurial success story, yet over a few decades it has made extensive use of tax breaks, free land, cash grants and other forms of public assistance," Philip Mattera, research director of Good Jobs First said in a statement.

Whoops. Argument fail...

I see your point. But Hasbro does pay taxes its profits. If one computed the difference between the market value of the advertising subsidy and the taxes paid on the company's profits, would the number be positive or negative? In other words does the government take in more in taxes from Hasbro than it pays out to the company in the form of an advertising subsidy?

This Fellow LIKES Big Bird!

Forum List

Back