Romney Refuses To Apologize For Condemning Dead Americans

I think in the past a presidential candidate wouldnt comment on something so delicate as this and leave it to the sitting President.

I guess times have changed.

Wrong, it was to condemn the attacks.

I strongly condemn the outrageous attack on our diplomatic facility in Benghazi, which took the lives of four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens. Right now, the American people have the families of those we lost in our thoughts and prayers. They exemplified America's commitment to freedom, justice, and partnership with nations and people around the globe, and stand in stark contrast to those who callously took their lives.

I have directed my Administration to provide all necessary resources to support the security of our personnel in Libya, and to increase security at our diplomatic posts around the globe. While the United States rejects efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others, we must all unequivocally oppose the kind of senseless violence that took the lives of these public servants.

On a personal note, Chris was a courageous and exemplary representative of the United States. Throughout the Libyan revolution, he selflessly served our country and the Libyan people at our mission in Benghazi. As Ambassador in Tripoli, he has supported Libya's transition to democracy. His legacy will endure wherever human beings reach for liberty and justice. I am profoundly grateful for his service to my Administration, and deeply saddened by this loss.

The brave Americans we lost represent the extraordinary service and sacrifices that our civilians make every day around the globe. As we stand united with their families, let us now redouble our own efforts to carry their work forward.

Read more: Obama, Clinton statements on Libya attack - SFGate

Nope, in the embassy news release, they condemned Americans for insulting Islam.

AFTER the embassy came under attack.

A swing and a miss.

The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions.

That would be the Embassy of the US in Cairo, not the statement of the POTUS. Nice try however.

the State Department is part of the Executive Branch sport. So yeah, they do speak for POTUS....

It's a funny thing how he is such a bad president yet we are much more respected throughout the world now that he is in office. The GOP answer to every incident in the world is for us to drop bombs or better yet, some of you think we ought to just nuke our enemies.

if we are so respected, then why is one of our Ambassadors dead....

three other Americans are dead also, why is it that we don't know who they are? I wonder about that.

They've identified one as an IT guy. The other two I believe were the security guards for the Ambassador.

I think in the past a presidential candidate wouldnt comment on something so delicate as this and leave it to the sitting President.

You must not of been born when Kerry was running for President

SNIP:

Kerry Attacks Bush on Handling of Iraq

By Lois Romano and Paul Farhi
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, September 7, 2004; Page A08

CANNONSBURG, Pa., Sept. 6 -- Sen. John F. Kerry, under pressure from Democratic leaders to draw sharper contrasts between himself and George W. Bush, launched a series of blistering attacks on the president Monday, saying the W in his opponent's name stands for "wrong . . . wrong choices, wrong priorities, wrong direction for our country."

from
Kerry Attacks Bush on Handling of Iraq (washingtonpost.com)

Not really. How did you miss the year 2004? :lol: Were you in a coma?

Kerry Criticizes Bush Over Iraq Prisoner Abuse | Fox News
Kerry Criticizes Bush Over Iraq Prisoner Abuse | Fox News
6 May 2004 – Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry (search) said Wednesday that the Bush administration's response to abuse of Iraqi prisoners by ...

Kerry criticizes Bush's Iraq policy
www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-03/.../content_315946.ht...
Kerry criticizes Bush's Iraq policy. By (Agencies) Updated: 2004-03-18 14:53. U.S.

Democrat John Kerry assailed President Bush on Wednesday for clinging to a ...
Kerry Criticizes Bush for Iraq War Policies | ArabNews
Kerry Criticizes Bush for Iraq War Policies | ArabNews

21 Aug 2012 – CHARLESTON, W. Va., 18 March 2004 — Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry yesterday marked the first anniversary of the war in ...

Kerry Criticizes Bush Handling of Iraq - 2004-09-02
www.voanews.com/content/a-13-a-2004-09-02.../262253.html

2 Sep 2004 – Democratic Party presidential candidate Senator John Kerry says President Bush has mishandled nearly every aspect of the Iraq war.

Kerry criticizes Bush's 'stubborn' Iraq policy | CTV News
www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/CanadaAM/20040317/kerry_bush040317/

17 Mar 2004 – Democrat John Kerry on Wednesday marked the first anniversary of the war in Iraq by criticizing U.S. President George Bush for failed policies ...

Kerry Criticizes Bush and Cheney on Halliburton's Iraq Contracts
The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia › Washington › Campaign 2004
17 Sep 2004 – ASHINGTON, Sept. 17 — Senator John Kerry continued his sharp criticism of the Bush administration today, this time accusing it of steering ...

Kerry Criticizes Bush's 'Stubborn' Iraq Policy - Democratic ...
Democratic Underground › Discuss
5 posts - 4 authors - 18 Mar 2004

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democrat John Kerry, marking the first anniversary of the Iraq war, accused President Bush on Wednesday of ..

Kerry Criticizes Bush On Iraq, Draws Anti-war Heckler .
news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1291&dat...id...sjid...

Kerry criticizes Bush on Iraq, draws anti-war heckler . NEW YORK - Democrat John Kerry faulted President Bush for a unilateral approach toward Iraq that has ...

Kerry criticizes June 30 Iraq deadline - politics - msnbc.com
www.msnbc.msn.com/.../kerry-criticizes-june-iraq-deadl... - United States

6 Apr 2004 – Kerry criticizes June 30 Iraq deadline ... Bush also said al-Sadr is working against democracy in Iraq, but Kerry suggested Tuesday that ...

Kerry Criticizes Bush Address to U.N. (washingtonpost.com)
Washington Post: Breaking News, World, US, DC News & Analysis › Politics › Elections › 2004 Election

22 Sep 2004 – Kerry Criticizes Bush Address to U.N.. Saying President Lacks Credibility, Democrat Cites Missed Chance on Iraq. By Dan Balz and David ...

Google

GOOD for Romney, he is running FOR PRESIDENT and he has EVERY right to speak on this..

You people don't make the rules of when we can speak or not speak...go take a hike

Inevitably, the Romney campaign chose to use the attacks to make a hasty and stupid criticism last night, which represented the most tasteless political opportunism while also managing to misrepresent the administration’s response to the attacks. Here is the President’s statement on the Benghazi attack. Readers can judge for themselves, but it seems an appropriate initial response to me. There is no “sympathy” for the attackers to be found in that statement, and the Romney campaign’s attempt to use a foolish statement from the U.S. embassy in Cairo as the official position of the administration was typically dishonest. Romney didn’t have much credibility on this front before last night, and he has even less now.

The Attacks in Benghazi and Cairo | The American Conservative

I agree with you, Steph. Romney should speak up whenever he wants!!! Oh, by the way. These remarks are from The American Conservative.

so what where it came from...anyone can make a name up and call themselves Conservative
You people will not shut us up...calling us racist didn't do it and this isn't going to do it

What isn't?? Telling you the truth??? You dumb broad, you!!!! :lol:

GOOD for Romney, he is running FOR PRESIDENT and he has EVERY right to speak on this..

You people don't make the rules of when we can speak or not speak...go take a hike

Inevitably, the Romney campaign chose to use the attacks to make a hasty and stupid criticism last night, which represented the most tasteless political opportunism while also managing to misrepresent the administration’s response to the attacks. Here is the President’s statement on the Benghazi attack. Readers can judge for themselves, but it seems an appropriate initial response to me. There is no “sympathy” for the attackers to be found in that statement, and the Romney campaign’s attempt to use a foolish statement from the U.S. embassy in Cairo as the official position of the administration was typically dishonest. Romney didn’t have much credibility on this front before last night, and he has even less now.

I agree with you, Steph. Romney should speak up whenever he wants!!! Oh, by the way. These remarks are from The American Conservative.

Deleted, but saved tweets, don't change the real timeline.

I wouldn't know. I have no interest in tweeting.

so what where it came from...anyone can make a name up and call themselves Conservative
You people will not shut us up...calling us racist didn't do it and this isn't going to do it

What isn't?? Telling you the truth??? You dumb broad, you!!!! :lol:

dumb broad? are you looking in a mirror again:lol:

Yesterday we noted that Mitt Romney, down in the polls after the convention, was throwing the kitchen sink at President Obama. Little did we know the kitchen sink would include -- on the anniversary of 9/11 -- one of the most over-the-top and (it turns out) incorrect attacks of the general-election campaign . Last night after 10:00 pm ET, Romney released a statement on the attacks on the U.S. embassies in Egypt and Libya. After saying he was “outraged” by these attacks and the death of an American consulate worker, Romney said, “It's disgraceful that the Obama administration's first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks.” Yet after learning every piece of new information about those attacks, the Romney statement looks worse and worse -- and simply off-key. First, Romney was referring to a statement that the U.S. embassy in Egypt issued condemning the “efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims.” But that embassy statement, which the White House has distanced itself from, was in reference to an anti-Islam movie and anti-Islam pastor Terry Jones, and it came out BEFORE the embassy attacks began. Then this morning, we learned that the U.S. ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens, and others died in one of the attacks
First Thoughts: Over the top - First Read
Just saw where Romney is refusing to apologize for his politically motivated statement that the Americans in the Embassy, fearing for their lives, were terrorist sympathizers.

What a pompous self righteous ass Romney is...
Wow, did you dislocate your hip with that kind of lie?

I don't get why you people have to turn an outrage against the sovereign territory of an American embassy into a slanging match between democracts and republicans. This has nothing to do with either Obama or Romney. The US ambassador was killed. Stick to blaming the muslim lunatic fanatic scum that we helped to gain power in their desert wastelands for this outrage.

Agreed, but it is Romney's duty to criticize the actions of the current administration. It is after all their actions that set this in play.

He acted quite presidential if ya ask me.

The dead Americans families I feel for though..... their relatives are gone and we are squabbling about politics.

Sad day in American history.

That is such bull.

Romney's original statement is fine. He doesn't need to clarify.

The WH needs to clarify, however...

Did they know that the terrorists had announced their plan to attack on 09/11 back on 08/30, as a protest against the imprisonment of the terrorist responsible for the WTC bombing in 1993, when they issued their multiple condemnations of people who dare to engage in political discourse that offends our enemies??

And knowing, why did they choose to castigate Americans for abuse of freedom of speech, when they knew that the protest was to object to the imprisonment of convicted terrorists?

I'm fucking angry that Obama didn't tell the islamis that America has freedom of speech and you must understand that. Period.

If these monsters are going to riot, burn and kill over an insult. Then I want nothing whatsoever to do with islam. It isn't a religion that's capable with American beliefs. The day so called Americans say otherwise, I can only guess it's to take away our freedoms.

Last edited:
Romney's original statement is fine. He doesn't need to clarify.

The WH needs to clarify, however...

Did they know that the terrorists had announced their plan to attack on 09/11 back on 08/30, as a protest against the imprisonment of the terrorist responsible for the WTC bombing in 1993, when they issued their multiple condemnations of people who dare to engage in political discourse that offends our enemies??

Are you suggesting that Romneys comments havent sparked controversy? And I'm not talking about bloggers and Internet tough guys. I'm watching the nightly news right now, and they are discussing Romneys comments and basicly calling them over the line, speaking out too soon without the facts.

Sounds like you're pretty scared of them.
By what you say, you KNOW we need to do something about it, but you're just too afraid that you'll have to do something.

Lefties are always saying how we are exaggerating when we condemn Islam. So why are you so worried? I think our military should just fly over and "POOF" they're GONE!

Lie.

Intelligent and reasonable people are dead set against blaming innocent people for what terrorists do.

rw's just like spreading hate so it doesn't matter to them whether or not the target of their hate is a terrorist or just an ordinary person.

THAT is the difference between left and right.

How in hell are we supposed to know who the innocent people are and who the terrorists are? It was so-called "innocent" Afghani soldiers that killed our SF not too long ago! Soldiers that our government / soldiers were training! Of course it matters to the right...so how about you tell me HOW we can tell the difference!

Yesterday we noted that Mitt Romney, down in the polls after the convention, was throwing the kitchen sink at President Obama. Little did we know the kitchen sink would include -- on the anniversary of 9/11 -- one of the most over-the-top and (it turns out) incorrect attacks of the general-election campaign . Last night after 10:00 pm ET, Romney released a statement on the attacks on the U.S. embassies in Egypt and Libya. After saying he was “outraged” by these attacks and the death of an American consulate worker, Romney said, “It's disgraceful that the Obama administration's first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks.” Yet after learning every piece of new information about those attacks, the Romney statement looks worse and worse -- and simply off-key. First, Romney was referring to a statement that the U.S. embassy in Egypt issued condemning the “efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims.” But that embassy statement, which the White House has distanced itself from, was in reference to an anti-Islam movie and anti-Islam pastor Terry Jones, and it came out BEFORE the embassy attacks began. Then this morning, we learned that the U.S. ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens, and others died in one of the attacks
First Thoughts: Over the top - First Read

Just saw where Romney is refusing to apologize for his politically motivated statement that the Americans in the Embassy, fearing for their lives, were terrorist sympathizers.

What a pompous self righteous ass Romney is...

Up your drip.

Forum List

Back