Romney has money parked in the Cayman Islands???

Nothing illegal about outsourcing, paralyzing congress, spreading hate , being racist or perpetually angry either...just die off, please...present company excepted...

Last edited:
But tax experts tell ABC News there are other reasons Romney may not want the public viewing his returns. As one of the wealthiest candidates to run for president in recent times, Romney has used a variety of techniques to help minimize the taxes on his estimated $250 million fortune. In addition to paying the lower tax rate on his investment income, Romney has as much as $8 million invested in at least 12 funds listed on a Cayman Islands registry. Another investment, which Romney reports as being worth between $5 million and $25 million, shows up on securities records as having been domiciled in the Caymans.

Official documents reviewed by ABC News show that Bain Capital, the private equity partnership Romney once ran, has set up some 138 secretive offshore funds in the Caymans.

Romney Parks Millions in Cayman Islands - ABC News

This alarms me a bit. I'm sure further investigation will follow but this causes me a few red flags.

We gotta make damn sure our nominee is FULLY vetted. We don't need any October surprises to cost us the election.

Not a big Romney fan - but I would point out that there's nothing illegal with opening a bank account in the Caymans. The IRS doesn't care where you bank so long as you report all your income.

Is there any reason to put money in the Caymans besides to shelter it from taxes?

That's kind of the point. Tax shelter. Vast numbers of wealthy people do it - some of these people are liberals. :eek:

If he has broken the law, I'll have an issue. Until then, it is not my business where he invests his money.

But tax experts tell ABC News there are other reasons Romney may not want the public viewing his returns. As one of the wealthiest candidates to run for president in recent times, Romney has used a variety of techniques to help minimize the taxes on his estimated $250 million fortune. In addition to paying the lower tax rate on his investment income, Romney has as much as $8 million invested in at least 12 funds listed on a Cayman Islands registry. Another investment, which Romney reports as being worth between $5 million and $25 million, shows up on securities records as having been domiciled in the Caymans.

Official documents reviewed by ABC News show that Bain Capital, the private equity partnership Romney once ran, has set up some 138 secretive offshore funds in the Caymans.

Rich people make use of our tax laws. :eek: OMG! I am outraged. Out-fucking-raged.

Except I'm not interested - unless he has broken the law.

I am highly amused watching some of you trying to slough off this revelation as though it didn't matter.

People do not "invest" in the Cayman islands.

They PARK money there to make it immune from US taxation.

I do not doubt that Romney hasn't broken any laws, though.

This TAX DODGE of his is probably perfectly legal.

It does however, suggest that Romney is an internationalist.

But given how wealthy he is?

That's pretty much to be expected.

It would not shock me to discover that anybody with that much money, is, either directly or through a baffling array of cut-out corporations, DODGING TAXES by putting their dough into places like the CAYMAN ISLANDS.

This is still another example of how we have granted the WEALTHY to play the game of capitalism with advantages the average American can never have.

The game of capitalism we are playing is rigged, folks.

Make no mistake about THAT.

Last edited:
I am highly amused watching some of you trying to slough off this revelation as though it didn't matter.

People do not "invest" in the Cayman islands.

They PARK money there to make it immune from US taxation.

I do not doubt that Romney hasn't broken any laws, though.

This TAX DODGE of his is probably perfectly legal.

It does however, suggest that Romney is an internationalist.

But given how wealthy he is?

That's pretty much to be expected.

It would not shock me to discover that anybody with that much money, is, either directly or through a baffling array of cut-out corporations, DODGING TAXES by putting their dough into places like the CAYMAN ISLANDS.

This is still another example of how we have granted the WEALTHY to play the game of capitalism with advantages the average American can never have.

The game of capitalism we are playing is rigged, folks.

Make no mistake about THAT.

It's not illegal. I care about people who break the law - or their oath of office, or act unethically. Having offshore accounts is none of these.

Therefore, this is whining. Jealous, petty assclowns who can't deal with a successful American.

This alarms me a bit. I'm sure further investigation will follow but this causes me a few red flags.

We gotta make damn sure our nominee is FULLY vetted. We don't need any October surprises to cost us the election.

What? Fully Vetted? Come one, that was done in 2008, wasn't it? This is why we all needed to totally get behind Romney because he was "electable".

get with the program, man.

There is so much crap in Romney's closet, why do you think the White House wants him to win?

I'll use small words for you, Chris, to make it easier for you to understand...

Did
he
break
any
laws?

If so, he should be investigated, prosecuted, and if found guilty, punished, to the fullest extent of the law.

If not, you and yours should all shut the fuck up about it and go on about your hate filled lives.

It's not illegal. I care about people who break the law - or their oath of office, or act unethically. Having offshore accounts is none of these.

Therefore, this is whining. Jealous, petty assclowns who can't deal with a successful American.

Okay, CG, if you really think this is going to go over well with average working folks who play by the rules and pay their taxes and are struggling in this economy.

2011_11_romneycorp.jpg

Seriously, we need to get Romney a running mate that fits the bill.

How about this guy.

mustache-monopoly-guy.jpg

Exactly Gramps...the vetting process is very important. If this is true, it not only puts a black mark on Romney the candidate, it also puts into question his loyalty to the country and his Patriotism as an American. If this is true, Romney is part of the problem, not the solution.

Okay, CG, if you really think this is going to go over well with average working folks who play by the rules and pay their taxes and are struggling in this economy.

I am an 'average working folk who play by the rules and pay their taxes and is struggling in this economy'.

As long as Romney, or Obama, or Newt, or who the fuck ever, doesn't break any laws, I don't care HOW they shelter their income.

If you don't like the tax laws, elect someone who will change them. Don't whine about people who studied them, found the flaws, and used them.

For the record, I think the tax laws need to be simplified, and loopholes that allow tax shelters offshore need to be fixed.

His daddy was wealthy. He inherited some dough.

On his own he earned a lot of dough.

He has invested quite a lot of his wealth.

Is he (a) supposed to know exactly what each investment firm does with each insignificant or each significant portion of his investments? or (b) supposed to care all that much if some of his money gets invested in a place like the Cayman Islands?

How and why should that be an "oh nozies" moment?

I am not a Mitt fan, but I see lots of good reasons to limit the criticism to the politics the guy has, and not waste a freakin' second on this kind of tripe.
Especially when it comes to personal wealth.

No one else's business. But for those wringing thier hands and wanting that wealth for themselves?

Get a job and work hard...for that could be you too. Mind your own fucking business...and get to work.

So, making money IN AMERICA and shoving it into some tax haven country is fine with you? Christ, you ever think that maybe, just maybe shit like this is part of our economic problems? Nahhh, never occurred to you... it's all because of Obama and the lefty brigade.

I am an 'average working folk who play by the rules and pay their taxes and is struggling in this economy'.

As long as Romney, or Obama, or Newt, or who the fuck ever, doesn't break any laws, I don't care HOW they shelter their income.

If you don't like the tax laws, elect someone who will change them. Don't whine about people who studied them, found the flaws, and used them.

For the record, I think the tax laws need to be simplified, and loopholes that allow tax shelters offshore need to be fixed.

Why isn't it tax evasion? Oh yeah... because some(probably Conservative) legislation made it "legal".

Why isn't it tax evasion? Oh yeah... because some(probably Conservative) legislation made it "legal".

And if a Democrat did this? you'd be equally up in arms?

I don't excuse unethical actions because they are technically legal. Not sure why you do.

Again, this shows a real problem with Romeny's personality. He destroys good paying jobs to make himself more money, then shelters it in the Cayman alongside the drug dealers and embezzlers, because he doesn't want to pay his fair share.

It shows a level of avarice that most people are going to find offensive.

Romney is a horrible candidate. And the GOP is rushing to get him, no matter what. It's an awful system. If all the other choices suck more, we need new choices.

Forum List

Back