Romney as Republican Nominee?

InTrade has him at 23% to be the nominee. Don't we think that number is too low?

He is clearly the favorite at this point among the political insiders. He has the money and the organization to do it.

However, I doubt very seriously he will be the nominee. His faith was an issue last time around, and that won't change. In addition Romneycare in Massachusets is likely to haunt him when he runs.

If you're taking bets, I'd put money on Palin as the nominee. I could see her base helping her capture enough of the early states in the Primary process to allow her to take McCain's route all the way to the nomination.

InTrade has him at 23% to be the nominee. Don't we think that number is too low?

He is clearly the favorite at this point among the political insiders. He has the money and the organization to do it.

However, I doubt very seriously he will be the nominee. His faith was an issue last time around, and that won't change. In addition Romneycare in Massachusets is likely to haunt him when he runs.

If you're taking bets, I'd put money on Palin as the nominee. I could see her base helping her capture enough of the early states in the Primary process to allow her to take McCain's route all the way to the nomination.

The fact that Romney is a mormon is a problem when we last elected a man with the name "Hussein:, a mentor like "Wright", and friends like Ayers. Surely you jest.

Anybody could beat Obama. Even Betty Boop.

If the economy is still bad, or we double dip, sure. However, if that happens you're likely to see everyone tossed, including the newly elected Republicans. Bad Economic outlook always spells an anti-incumbent mood.

If the economy is fine? Then the GOP has a fight on their hands in 2012.

Personally, I think Obama is likely to lose in 2012 if the GOP can manage not to nominate Palin or Bachmann. I honestly think that if Romney could snag the nomination, you'd be looking at a Carter/Reagan esque result in 2012, no matter what the economy looks like.

The numbers are low because the far right is concerned with his religion and his support for the healthcare program in MA.
Also he's smart, keeps his mouth shut, something Palin, Gingrich, Huckabee, and other Republican wannabees haven't and likely can't learn. He's also sane, something Bachmann isn't.

Well, I can't tell from your post what your political leanings are, but I'll disclose mine. I'm an independent that votes Dem more often than Pub, slightly left leaning overall. I really like Obama and want him to be reelected. Of all of the Pubs, there are some I like and some I don't. That disclosed.

Among the potential GOP field, from what I can tell, Romney is the only major threat heads up against Obama. All of the others have enormous weaknesses. Obama is too strong and likely will be in 2012 to be beat by a weak candidate. I think the GOP will relaize before it's too late, that Romney is their only alternative. Palin is laughable. That said InTrade, which takes bets, has her as the 2nd most likely to win at this point, ROmney at 23%, Palin at 13%.

Romney is the guy that knows economics and money and can win that debate against Obama. Romney is the flip-flopper, who can easily move to the center, where he'd rather be anyway. If he can look remotely genuine and walk that fine line, that could reel in enough independents to challenge Obama in a general. Being Mormon and RomneyCare and flip-flopper, especially on abortion are not dealbreakers if he's the only alternative. I'd put Palin's odds at 100 to 1 or worse to become President in 2012. I don't think Christie or Rubio will run. Daniels, eh, maybe. Pawlenty, Thune, ha, no. Jindal, gimme a break. Barbour, haha. Trump, Huckabee, lol.

See what I'm saying. They don't have any alternative, but Romney...maybe you disagree. I don't see it, especially not with Palin. Over 1/2 of the elctorate has made up their mind that she's a buffoon. It doesn't matter what the other 25-45% think in a general election.

See what I'm saying. They don't have any alternative, but Romney...maybe you disagree. I don't see it, especially not with Palin. Over 1/2 of the elctorate has made up their mind that she's a buffoon. It doesn't matter what the other 25-45% think in a general election.

I voted for Obama. If Palin is the nominee, I'd probably vote for Obama again. I see Romney as one of the few candidates that could beat Obama regardless of the economic outlook.

The problem is that my personal preferences don't enter into my estimates about what will happen. I definitely do not want a Palin ticket under any circumstances. At all. But I do think if she wants the nomination she can put up a very strong fight for it.

I voted for Obama. If Palin is the nominee, I'd probably vote for Obama again. I see Romney as one of the few candidates that could beat Obama regardless of the economic outlook.

The problem is that my personal preferences don't enter into my estimates about what will happen. I definitely do not want a Palin ticket under any circumstances. At all. But I do think if she wants the nomination she can put up a very strong fight for it.

Wow, you are who I'm talking about then. I hope you're in the minority.

IMO it's awful optimistic to think any of the current front runners could beat the obama, unless things get a lot worse.
A bad combination of weak candidates on the right, and the obama getting a pass from massive numbers of people for some reason.

It's still very early though, and I'm still holding out hope that a real conservative leader emerges, from somewhere, that is willing.

IMO it's awful optimistic to think any of the current front runners could beat the obama, unless things get a lot worse.
A bad combination of weak candidates on the right, and the obama getting a pass from massive numbers of people for some reason.

It's still very early though, and I'm still holding out hope that a real conservative leader emerges, from somewhere, that is willing.

Good response. I want Obama to win again in 2012, so we're not like minded in our preference, but I appreciate the candor.

I like a lot of Republicans, Chrisite, Rubio maybe, Coburn, Ryan, Petraeus, etc...

I just don't like any of the potential nominees Romney, Jindal, Palin, Bachmann, Pawlenty, Huckabee Thune, Gingrich, Daniels. The only one I see as a serious challenger to Obama is ROmney, which is why I asked the question in the first place and why I don't want him to win the nomination. Do you see anyone as a potential darkhorse?

Good response. I want Obama to win again in 2012, so we're not like minded in our preference, but I appreciate the candor.

I like a lot of Republicans, Chrisite, Rubio maybe, Coburn, Ryan, Petraeus, etc...

I just don't like any of the potential nominees Romney, Jindal, Palin, Bachmann, Pawlenty, Huckabee Thune, Gingrich, Daniels. The only one I see as a serious challenger to Obama is ROmney, which is why I asked the question in the first place and why I don't want him to win the nomination. Do you see anyone as a potential darkhorse?

No, I don't. It would be nice to see Christie run, but he seems pretty adamant he won't, but someone like him would be my choice.

Romney will crush him if he gets the nod, and he is in a very strong position to do so.

Palin is not going to be nominated and she will not run.

No, I don't. It would be nice to see Christie run, but he seems pretty adamant he won't, but someone like him would be my choice.

I don't think Christie will run this time round either. He's dedicated to NJ for now.

I like Daniels as well but don't believe he will run either.

As much as some on this board are hoping and praying that Palin runs, I don't think she will.

I like Romney. He isn't perfect but then who running for office is?? Its early yet though and I will have to wait and see who actually runs.

If the economy and the job situation imporoves OL'BO could very well be re-elected.

If those situations don't improve then I believe Barry Boy will be toast.

Romney will NOT be the nominee.

1. He's a Mormon and the evangelicals will go crazy if he's nominated

2. His history with healthcare

1) I agree, the Republicans would rather nominate someone else

2) I think they may realize he's their only alternative

3) I think he'd have a reasonable chance of beating Obama, but the "he would crush Obama" line is silly. You don't know what would happen.

Forum List

Back