Romney as Republican Nominee?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ElephantMcDonk, Jan 26, 2011.

1. ElephantMcDonk

ElephantMcDonk Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26

InTrade has him at 23% to be the nominee. Don't we think that number is too low?

2. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173

NO...!

3. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,722
    Anybody could beat Obama. Even Betty Boop.

4. ElephantMcDonk

ElephantMcDonk Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    keep telling yourself that

5. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    He is clearly the favorite at this point among the political insiders. He has the money and the organization to do it.

However, I doubt very seriously he will be the nominee. His faith was an issue last time around, and that won't change. In addition Romneycare in Massachusets is likely to haunt him when he runs.

If you're taking bets, I'd put money on Palin as the nominee. I could see her base helping her capture enough of the early states in the Primary process to allow her to take McCain's route all the way to the nomination.

6. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,722
    Isn't it funny how the truth is sometimes so hard to grasp?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Jackson

Jackson Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,677
    The fact that Romney is a mormon is a problem when we last elected a man with the name "Hussein:, a mentor like "Wright", and friends like Ayers. Surely you jest.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    If the economy is still bad, or we double dip, sure. However, if that happens you're likely to see everyone tossed, including the newly elected Republicans. Bad Economic outlook always spells an anti-incumbent mood.

If the economy is fine? Then the GOP has a fight on their hands in 2012.

Personally, I think Obama is likely to lose in 2012 if the GOP can manage not to nominate Palin or Bachmann. I honestly think that if Romney could snag the nomination, you'd be looking at a Carter/Reagan esque result in 2012, no matter what the economy looks like.

9. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,162
    The numbers are low because the far right is concerned with his religion and his support for the healthcare program in MA.
    Also he's smart, keeps his mouth shut, something Palin, Gingrich, Huckabee, and other Republican wannabees haven't and likely can't learn. He's also sane, something Bachmann isn't.

10. ElephantMcDonk

ElephantMcDonk Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26

Well, I can't tell from your post what your political leanings are, but I'll disclose mine. I'm an independent that votes Dem more often than Pub, slightly left leaning overall. I really like Obama and want him to be reelected. Of all of the Pubs, there are some I like and some I don't. That disclosed.

Among the potential GOP field, from what I can tell, Romney is the only major threat heads up against Obama. All of the others have enormous weaknesses. Obama is too strong and likely will be in 2012 to be beat by a weak candidate. I think the GOP will relaize before it's too late, that Romney is their only alternative. Palin is laughable. That said InTrade, which takes bets, has her as the 2nd most likely to win at this point, ROmney at 23%, Palin at 13%.

Romney is the guy that knows economics and money and can win that debate against Obama. Romney is the flip-flopper, who can easily move to the center, where he'd rather be anyway. If he can look remotely genuine and walk that fine line, that could reel in enough independents to challenge Obama in a general. Being Mormon and RomneyCare and flip-flopper, especially on abortion are not dealbreakers if he's the only alternative. I'd put Palin's odds at 100 to 1 or worse to become President in 2012. I don't think Christie or Rubio will run. Daniels, eh, maybe. Pawlenty, Thune, ha, no. Jindal, gimme a break. Barbour, haha. Trump, Huckabee, lol.

See what I'm saying. They don't have any alternative, but Romney...maybe you disagree. I don't see it, especially not with Palin. Over 1/2 of the elctorate has made up their mind that she's a buffoon. It doesn't matter what the other 25-45% think in a general election.