Romney agreed with Perry on immigration...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Missourian, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124

FactCheck: [Romney] Took hard-line on illegals, but only late in term

Romney’s Iowa TV ad portrays Romney’s immigration stance as hard-line compared with Huckabee’s. It’s true that a plan Huckabee supported would have granted in-state tuition rates and eligibility for scholarships to any student who had attended an Arkansa public high school for at least three years, regardless of immigration status. It’s also true that Romney vetoed a similar bill in 2004. But Romney’s illegal immigrant bashing is of fairly recent vintage.

In 2004, the Boston Globe reported that Romney was reluctant to veto the tuition proposal--and not at all the certain, sure-footed decision maker portrayed in the ad.

At the time, Romney said, “I hate the idea of in any way making it more difficult for kids, even those who are illegal aliens, to afford college in our state.”

Romney wasn’t a hardliner on immigration until late in his tenure as governor. None of the specifics presented here are false, but the ad presents a black-and-white contrast that doesn’t exist in reality.

Source: FactCheck.org: AdWatch of 2007 campaign ad, “The Record” Dec 13, 2007

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. ladyliberal

ladyliberal Progressive Princess

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +291
    From the quote, it sounds more like he didn't take a position either way. In any event, it seems clear that Romney's attacks on Perry's immigration policy are politically motivated. I think people have a pretty good understanding of how Romney works. A recent CNN poll found that Romney's weakest statistic by far was in " Which Republican candidate is most likely to fight for their beliefs?": New CNN Poll: Perry on top when it comes to electability – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs. It seems as though even Romney supporters see him largely as opportunistic, they just trust him anyway.

3. Maple

Maple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +568
    Is that all you got????????????? Rick Perry did not turn Republican until 1988 after the Reagan era and to take the cake worked for AL GORE'S campaign.

And the real problem that you are attempting to deny is that Perry STILL supports illegal immigration, in fact, he encourages it with in state tuition for illegals and his oppostion to the fence. Crazy and one that is sure to lose him the nomination.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  4. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124

Romney said in the debate when responding to Perry's stance on in-state tuition for the children of illegal immigrants "This doesn't make any sense to me."

Obviously it make a lot of sense to him...as he says virtually the same thing in 2004 as Perry said in the debate last night.

The rest of your post I totally agree with.

I think people back Romney because they think he has the best chance of winning, and I don't begrudge them that.

But I don't want to vote for a guy I don't trust.

I'd rather vote for the guy who will stand up and say "This is what I believe in...this is what you can expect from me if I'm elected" rather than the guy who will say anything to get elected and who knows what he is really going to do.

5. Maple

Maple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +568
    Then would you care to explain why Romney beats Obama in a one to one match up and no other candidate does???

6. Maple

Maple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +568
    Michelle Bachman certainly does not have anything nice to say about Perry, in fact, she accuses him of cronie capitalism and the HPV virus is just the tip of the ice berg.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvaZEOTW51M&feature=related]Michele Bachmann Post Debate - YouTube[/ame]

7. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    Why does the right obsess over this so – is it that important to exhibit your ignorance of the law to be the GOP presidential nominee?

8. oreo

oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,150

And according this article Michelle Bachmann may have a point about Perry and croni-capitalism.

Perry's meeting with cancer patient 'lobbyist' only came after his executive order | The American Independent

9. Maple

Maple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +568
    So, do you still trust Perry after these serious allegations? I don't see Michelle Bachman as a liar. I think she is a straight shooter.

10. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124

Straight shooter "I didn't say that" Bachmann?

Perry, who isn't afraid to say "I was wrong" is a straight shooter.

Bachmann "I never said anything about mental retardation is caused by the vaccine" is not a straight shooter.