Rode a Harley...

At least BMW has the good sense to have the cylinders hanging out in the airstream.
That's true and it does work. I bought mine in Fresno, and had no problems, even in traffic, without an oil cooler.

But there was only so much they could get out of the powerplant so they are cooled now. Harleys are fun bikes though, I'd have one if I was rich and had a stable.

The only Harley worth owning is a V-rod, appropriately accessorized. But they must be very uncomfortable to ride. The used ones you see (at least around here) have ridiculously low mileage - which to me says that their owners don't enjoy riding them.

Harley's are the most dependable? Are you shitting me? A Goldwing with a hundred thousand miles on it is just getting broken in.

There is a reason why few motor-vehicle companies are making air-cooled engines any more. They are inherently inferior to water-cooled. Not to mention the phenomenon of having an overheating oven between your legs when you stop at a stoplight in the summer. At least BMW has the good sense to have the cylinders hanging out in the airstream.
HD seems to be entering the water cooled market and now offer 750 and 500 water-cooled models.

harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/street-750.html

Last edited:
Been riding H-D for 40+ years. ..... :cool:

Not the best handling, Not the best breaking. Not the most reliable. Not the the fastest. Not the most comfortable or ergonomic.

But the coolness factor is off the charts....... :thup:

Last edited:
So I have a question for the Harley people.

What's with the re-birth of "ape-hangers"? They are ridiculous, always were ridiculous, and make the rider look like a fool. Why are they coming back? Did some reality TV person start using them?

Besides looking stupid as hell.

Ape-hangers aren't comfortable and are somewhat unsafe. ...... :cool:
I disagree. Eat your heart out, I just did about 120 miles on a custom 1200 sporty hardtail with apes. Mostly soybean, potato, corn farmlands with straight roads, but some traffic land at the start and finish. Maybe 40 miles through curves in the forest sections. Six customs in the group. I sure am lucky. My neighbor is a custom builder. Does it for a living. When I mentioned apes he offered a loaner and an invite to a little run. Might pay for it tomorrow with some soreness, but it was worth it. I had no issues with my ride.

120 miles is long? Seriously? That's not a day's ride...that's what I call a "lunch run".
Agree, with two stops we were out for about four hours. Short run, but hey, I haven't run with apes for 35 years and the same with a hardtail sporty. It was a treat for me. I am half way through my sixth decade.

Why would anyone ruin a new motorcycle by removing the rear suspension?
It was a '83 frame with a rebuilt bored and stroked '06 1205 16" extended Springer.
Purple metal flake tin, black frame, lots of chrome.

Excuse me, I think I will throw up now.
My regular ride since '91 has been a EVO 2 on a '66 CHP frame with original CHPS Pearl White tin and black frame, RP front end, floor boards, saddle seat, buckhorn bars, stripped of rear crash bars, front bars retained, vintage leather bags.

The op clearly went in to this nursing one hell of a preconceived notion with his little project here although I have to admit, I have no dog in this race.

The only Harley worth owning is a V-rod, appropriately accessorized. But they must be very uncomfortable to ride. The used ones you see (at least around here) have ridiculously low mileage - which to me says that their owners don't enjoy riding them.

Your crap recommendation is noted. If the owners don't want to ride them, what's the point in buying one?

Forum List

Back