Rode a Harley...

Jarlaxle

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2012
New England
Well, finally did it last Saturday: I rode a Harley. Dealer had an open house, wife was curious, so we went. She wanted to try one, the dealer invited me to ride one. I wound up on a Sportster, largely by default...most of the other people wanted to ride the big touring bikes. Well, worth a try, I suppose. It was a black 2013 with 3300 miles, and I put about 25 miles on it...it's a standard (1200 Custom, I think) model with the regular height seat, black cast wheels...had a solo seat with backrest (the "Signature" seat), a windshield, soft saddlebags, aftermarket foam grips, and Screaming Eagle slip-ons. Impressions follow...

First, the single most notable feature: the noise. The racket the pipes made was absolutely obnoxious, right from idle. It was far and away the loudest of the dozen or so bikes (one 883 Super Low and ~10 big twins), most of which had aftermarket pipes. (Even the others seemed surprised how loud it was at idle, one suggesting that whoever put the pipes on it punched out the baffles.)

Handling was better than I expected, though I didn't push an unfamiliar bike much. Ride wasn't anything impressive. One odd thing: a bump the front swallowed often sent a jolt through the back. (Rear travel is WAY too short.) Might have been the tires on this particular bike, but it seemed to like to follow grooves.

Brakes were...not bad. I was never in danger of doing a "stoppie", but also never felt any urge to pull a Fred Flintstone. (I do not recall if it had ABS.) I'm still not happy with a single front rotor (especially on a 550+lb bike), but it seemed adequate for the weight.

Power I'm honestly not sure about. Around-town was fine, but I didn't go much past 1/3 throttle, because that was about where the racket went from obnoxious to intolerable. (I honestly felt bad for anyone behind me.) Engine shook like it had Parkinson's, though it wasn't bad through the bars.

Controls were lousy. Mostly: forward controls. Don't understand the appeal, don't like them at all! (The only mid-control bike available had ape hangers.) Also, the forward controls had my knee and the air cleaner trying to occupy the same real estate pretty much the whole ride. Bars were OK, though I wished for a small (~2") pullback. Wind protection was pretty good, though I suspect weather protection in rain would be nil below the waist.

Heat from the engine was very noticeable; anytime I stopped, I was bathed in it. Not a problem when moving, but would be brutal in traffic!

...but they look so damn cool. Never owned one. Owned several Japanese bikes and one Italian. None looked as good as the Harley or had it's mystic.

Harleys are good, but you pay for the name as much as you pay for the bike. Your pipes might have been too much, but most cars aren't going to see a bike even if they look right at you, so I figure it couldn't they hurt if they hear you. I guarantee you that no Harley rider could enjoy their bike more than I enjoy my rice burner. Mine cost a lot less, and I can ride it to the rallies instead of having to haul it on a trailer. If I ever get a Harley, I'll probably change my mind about all that though.

I rode a new Sportster in '74 or '75. I had a 350 Honda at the time. It was exciting. It was a short ride though and it rattled like a paint mixer. I've ridden a full dresser too, it was very comfortable, too slow for me though.

Most HD guys consider the Sportster a girl's bike these days and I don't see the point if you can get a big boy. It looks pretty well cramped to me. They are big, heavy and slow so they are just for cruising along. Hopefully not blocking the road and holding up traffic.

I don't buy the loud pipes saves lives bullshit. You can't tell what direction it's coming from. I seriously dislike the loud HDs and almost all of them are around here. It's an attention getting macho thing, which basically sums up the purpose of the brand.

In 2003, they started mounting the Sportster engines with rubber grommets so that the vibration would be tolerable. The idea of actually reducing the vibration (as the Japanese have done) doesn't seem to be in the cards for H.D.

The riding position is intended to be very comfortable (feet in front of the butt rather than underneath), but that means that the rear suspension is the only protection you have against a back injury. (Hard-tails are insane - as are their riders). If the rear suspension is weak - as on a Sportie - it is a concern for anything more than around-town riding. Most Harley riders who give up riding do so because of repeated jarring of their spine.

There are a couple reasons for riding a Harley. They sound better than anything else, and their mid-range torque is superior to other engine designs. Specifically, if you are cruising at 40 or 50 mph and want to pass someone, all you have to do is crank the throttle; you don't have to downshift. If the one you rode was too loud that's unfortunate, but there are quieter pipes that sound great - compared to anything else.

I rent Harley's when I'm on vacation and I can see that they are nice bikes, even if they are underpowered and technologically obsolete. I will say this: when I stop for gas with an Ultra, strangers come up to me to talk about the bike. It happens all the time. It has NEVER happened to me with my Goldwing, Kawasaki, or other bike. Just sayin'.

I rode a new Sportster in '74 or '75. I had a 350 Honda at the time. It was exciting. It was a short ride though and it rattled like a paint mixer. I've ridden a full dresser too, it was very comfortable, too slow for me though.

Most HD guys consider the Sportster a girl's bike these days and I don't see the point if you can get a big boy. It looks pretty well cramped to me. They are big, heavy and slow so they are just for cruising along. Hopefully not blocking the road and holding up traffic.

I don't buy the loud pipes saves lives bullshit. You can't tell what direction it's coming from. I seriously dislike the loud HDs and almost all of them are around here. It's an attention getting macho thing, which basically sums up the purpose of the brand.

I already had 2 wrecks where people looked at me and then pulled out in front of me. If I could have fireworks shooting off and a siren I would.

Harleys are the most dependable IMO. Those v-twins are fuckin amazing. If you take care of them, they will go 100K easy.
The sportsters are their smaller framed bike. They are ok, but lack in just about every area, but they were made too.
I have vance and hines short stacks on my wide glide. It is loud as fuck. It will hit a lick like a 900 HP chevelle. I think it might have a cam in it as well though. I tried putting my baffles on it just made it sound like shit. Maybe the baffles are still on it? Obviously this is going by my experience only.
Unless you are smaller framed guy, or a normal built female, the sportster isn't for you.

I already had 2 wrecks where people looked at me and then pulled out in front of me. If I could have fireworks shooting off and a siren I would.
Yep, I know. Been riding for 44 years. I don't trust them and slow down around cars, I assume they can't see me and I cover my brakes.

Harleys are the most dependable IMO. Those v-twins are fuckin amazing. If you take care of them, they will go 100K easy.
The sportsters are their smaller framed bike. They are ok, but lack in just about every area, but they were made too.
I have vance and hines short stacks on my wide glide. It is loud as fuck. It will hit a lick like a 900 HP chevelle. I think it might have a cam in it as well though. I tried putting my baffles on it just made it sound like shit. Maybe the baffles are still on it? Obviously this is going by my experience only.
Unless you are smaller framed guy, or a normal built female, the sportster isn't for you.
My beemer has 170,000 so far....

That's a lot of miles man. Hell yeah! Ride the shit out of it!

Everyone else is your biggest danger on a bike. Stay defensive, for sure.

In 2003, they started mounting the Sportster engines with rubber grommets so that the vibration would be tolerable. The idea of actually reducing the vibration (as the Japanese have done) doesn't seem to be in the cards for H.D.

They couldn't, not without losing the distinctive sound.

The riding position is intended to be very comfortable (feet in front of the butt rather than underneath), but that means that the rear suspension is the only protection you have against a back injury. (Hard-tails are insane - as are their riders). If the rear suspension is weak - as on a Sportie - it is a concern for anything more than around-town riding. Most Harley riders who give up riding do so because of repeated jarring of their spine.

They kept lowering the Sportster by shortening the rear shocks...with predictable results. The new Roadster actually has decent travel, and swapping any other Sporty to the 13.5" Ironhead shocks will also give decent travel.

There are a couple reasons for riding a Harley. They sound better than anything else, and their mid-range torque is superior to other engine designs. Specifically, if you are cruising at 40 or 50 mph and want to pass someone, all you have to do is crank the throttle; you don't have to downshift. If the one you rode was too loud that's unfortunate, but there are quieter pipes that sound great - compared to anything else.

Honestly...i am at the point now where I would fully support legally requiring unaltered factory exhaust on all motorcycles, no exceptions, and any bike with altered exhaust being immediately seized and destroyed.

I rent Harley's when I'm on vacation and I can see that they are nice bikes, even if they are underpowered and technologically obsolete. I will say this: when I stop for gas with an Ultra, strangers come up to me to talk about the bike. It happens all the time. It has NEVER happened to me with my Goldwing, Kawasaki, or other bike. Just sayin'.

My wife rode a big Road King and despised it. She thought it was an ungainly, overweight, top-heavy pig with bad handling, a lousy gearbox, and (in her words) "scary" brakes.

Last edited:
That's a lot of miles man. Hell yeah! Ride the shit out of it!
The old girl is still going strong. The old airheads were known for that, I had a valve job, well two, one was done wrong, put rings in her once and the pistons and cylinders are untouched, as is the bottom end. Tranny never has been opened up either.

Probably just jinxed myself.

Actually, the Twin Cam bikes have a laundry list of problems, including but not limited to cam chain tensioners, primary chain tensioners, gearbox problems, and flywheels moving on the crank.

Pablum. The Evolution engine is vastly superior...the best thing about the Sporty is the 350+lbs of lard it ISN'T carrying!

Actually, the Twin Cam bikes have a laundry list of problems, including but not limited to cam chain tensioners, primary chain tensioners, gearbox problems, and flywheels moving on the crank.

Pablum. The Evolution engine is vastly superior...the best thing about the Sporty is the 350+lbs of lard it ISN'T carrying!
I have a lot fo Harley friends and I have never heard of that.
It is lighter, but my wideglide is pretty light too. A tad heavier than mny street bike, but light nonetheless.
Again, my opinion is just from personal experience. That always differs lol. I have driven 2 sportsters and I am 6'1 and about 210 (typically anyways. I have gained a few pounds since getting married lol). That's why I said that..

Noise pollution is a huge problem. In a beautiful national park, you hear Harleys for miles around. They should be banned since riders have no consideration.

As far as midrange and not downshifting, that's the hallmark of most or all twin cylinder machines. My Ducati has torque down low, the beemer does too, just lot as much. The Duc is a V-twin too, a L-twin specifically.

Someone posted this on a Ducati forum years ago, no hate mail please!

"I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS the guy. I was riding on one of those really, really twisting sections of canyon road with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the curves have warning signs that say "15 MPH".

I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those big-cubic-inch motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone.

I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could catch him, but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and cornering. three corners later, I was on his fender. Catching him was one thing; passing him would prove to be another.

Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the mountain. I think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly got by him before he could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to him as we started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the throttle and outpower me. His horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this only made me more determined than ever.

My only hope was to outbrake him. I held off squeezing the lever until the last instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an instant I was by him. Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of his engine as he struggled to keep up. Three more miles to go before the road straightens out and he would pass me for good.

But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I stretched out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the canyon, he was more than a full corner behind. I could no longer see him in my rear-view mirror.

Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles before he passed me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I was no match for that kind of horsepower, but it was done. In the tightest section of road, where bravery and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him. though it was not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the canyon and I had preserved the proud tradition of another of America's best bikes.

I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so hard in my life. And some of the credit must go to Schwinn, as well. They really make a great bicycle..."

Harley's are the most dependable? Are you shitting me? A Goldwing with a hundred thousand miles on it is just getting broken in.

There is a reason why few motor-vehicle companies are making air-cooled engines any more. They are inherently inferior to water-cooled. Not to mention the phenomenon of having an overheating oven between your legs when you stop at a stoplight in the summer. At least BMW has the good sense to have the cylinders hanging out in the airstream.

Forum List

Back