Roberts' Hearing A Forum For Catholic Bashing

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Nothing new here, just keeps happening:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/nextjustice/?id=110007259

2. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Offensive? Yes, but its just what I've come to expect. Can you imagine the shitstorm that would appear if a Muslim appointee was asked: "Now Mr. Mohammed, do you think you will be able to not follow the Q'u'r'a'n, and make sure no trace of Islam ever enters your decisions?" I can hear CAIR now...

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I can't imagine a US Senator saying anything of the sort. It's always been ok to bash Catholics.

4. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Unless your a KENNEDY from Chamelot :(

I wonder if the general public has any idea how pathetic these leftist politicians are?

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Actually, Kennedy managed to bash the Church on abortion, indirectly. There is no limit on attacking Catholics, only 'the extreme Catholic' representatives respond. In the US, Catholics are an analogy to the US, worldwide. Fair game, always, for any reason.

6. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
    They don't count. Only "extreme Fundamentalist" (read: practicing) Catholics are fare game. "Catholics" who hold none of the church's principles to such an extent they might as well convert to Unitarianism are A OK.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'm pretty touchy here, I grew up in a wealthy German-Lutheran community. Had to deal with adults that would question and deride a 5-7 year old, demanding answers and providing derisions of faith and ethnicity. (The Irish suck, not too mention the Catholics).

8. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Give me a break people. These Senators, and I would hardly characterize Arlen Specter as a liberal, were asking these questions of Roberts because it is important that a nominee be able to base decisions on the Constitution and not on his/her religion. The same questions have been asked of many other SCOTUS nominees. I guarantee that if this was a Muslim candidate, conservative Republicans would be asking these questions and more of the candidate. The right is only concerned with freedom of religion when they are prevented from forcing their religion down the rest our throats. There was no religious test put to John Roberts, but face it if he had answered, "I will vote according to Catholic doctrine" don't tell me you Protestants wouldn't be bothered.

acludem

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    go read the Catholic bashing thread. Based on yesterday's hearings. You are so wrong, this time.

10. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I just emailed the Dragon Lady and the "distinguished" Senator from Pennsylvannia (I was polite but told them in no uncertain terms how offended I was and that were stinking hypocrites .... in so many words, of course)

I don't expect that they'll read it, or, if they do, to care very much.... but at least they will have heard about it....

If anyone is so inclined to voice their displeasure via email, these are the URLs of their email pages.....

Senator Diane Fienstein http://feinstein.senate.gov/email.html

Senator Arlen Specter http://specter.senate.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=ContactInfo.Home

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1