Roast chicken in a bag

Brining is awesome.

So is knowing what heat to cook stuff at, and having a good oven...

What is brining? like marinating?
I had some chicken in brine and was worried about it spoiling so I put it in the freezer. When I thawed it and fried it I had never tasted such firm yet tender and flavorful meat. I'm wondering what the act of freezing it may do to the process.

As long as you keep it cold you don't have to worry about it spoiling, btw.

I had some chicken in brine and was worried about it spoiling so I put it in the freezer. When I thawed it and fried it I had never tasted such firm yet tender and flavorful meat. I'm wondering what the act of freezing it may do to the process.

Just sayin...no matter how you thaw chicken, it will lose moisture. The freezing could not have improved the chicken, since the damage done by thawing is unavoidable.
There is no way chicken can spoil during the brine process...the salt...yeah.

I must have had some chicken that was already going bad. I once brined some chicken for 4 days and the meat was spoiled when I took it out of the refrigerator. I dont take any chances after that.

It can pick up flavors from the fridge, that can make it yucky. But honestly, all meat gets better the longer it sits. You might want to rinse it off though.

Brining is awesome.

So is knowing what heat to cook stuff at, and having a good oven...

Convection...the only way.
And don't forget - a good chef's knife.
Oh no, don't be a knife snob!
I can do the most amazing things with cheap knives..not that I don't like expensive ones.

Oh I am afraid I am a knife snob. Having said that, there are some pretty good cheap ones.
I have two chefs knives, paring knife and one sudoku knife...probably about $600 for the lot I guess. But I can take an 8" chef knife and cut a radish so thin you can read through it.

I must have had some chicken that was already going bad. I once brined some chicken for 4 days and the meat was spoiled when I took it out of the refrigerator. I dont take any chances after that.

Four days?????

Four days?????
Yep. I was operating under the assumption that the brine would put even more flavor in the meat.

Just sayin...no matter how you thaw chicken, it will lose moisture. The freezing could not have improved the chicken, since the damage done by thawing is unavoidable.
There is no way chicken can spoil during the brine process...the salt...yeah.

You are supposed to brine in ICED water because a chicken can definitely spoil when you brine. The water should be below 40 degrees.

You don't need the bag. The bag is to hold in moisture, but that is not needed when cooking chicken properly.

The "Secret" to Moist, Delicious Chicken

1) And this is the most important, brine the chicken for at least 3-4 hours. Preferably overnite or longer.
Simply take the chicken, once cleaned, and place in large mixing bowl completely under cold water. Add 1 full TBS of sea salt, don't worry about sodium or "salty taste" the salt is to open the pores of the chicken to allow the water to permeate the meat. Remove chicken and put spices/herbs whatever you like, or recipe calls for.
2) Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and rub into chicken.
3) For a whole chicken, preheat oven to 450. And place chicken in oven Set the timer for 15 minutes. This will sear the meat and brown the outside, and seal in the moisture.
4) WITHOUT opening oven door - turn oven down to 350. And cook until internal temp. is 165. WIll be between 40 minutes to 1 hour depending on size of chicken.

Your chicken will be perfect. Crisp on the outside, and super moist.
Don't skip any steps. It will not turn out right if you do.

But the bag is fun!

And so un-messy!

I know it is the internets and people can claim anything...just sayin, people have asked me for years "how do you make chicken this juicy?" whether it is whole chicken, or bone-in split or whatever...cooking pork or chicken in an oven without brining is a sin. When you go to a great restaurant and you cut into that thick pork chop and juices literally squirt out and the plate is covered in liquid...how do they do that? They brine and sear it.

Hmmm so you brine the pork too? how do you do that, the same way as the chicken?

You don't need the bag. The bag is to hold in moisture, but that is not needed when cooking chicken properly.

The "Secret" to Moist, Delicious Chicken

1) And this is the most important, brine the chicken for at least 3-4 hours. Preferably overnite or longer.
Simply take the chicken, once cleaned, and place in large mixing bowl completely under cold water. Add 1 full TBS of sea salt, don't worry about sodium or "salty taste" the salt is to open the pores of the chicken to allow the water to permeate the meat. Remove chicken and put spices/herbs whatever you like, or recipe calls for.
2) Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and rub into chicken.
3) For a whole chicken, preheat oven to 450. And place chicken in oven Set the timer for 15 minutes. This will sear the meat and brown the outside, and seal in the moisture.
4) WITHOUT opening oven door - turn oven down to 350. And cook until internal temp. is 165. WIll be between 40 minutes to 1 hour depending on size of chicken.

Your chicken will be perfect. Crisp on the outside, and super moist.
Don't skip any steps. It will not turn out right if you do.

But the bag is fun!

And so un-messy!

I know it is the internets and people can claim anything...just sayin, people have asked me for years "how do you make chicken this juicy?" whether it is whole chicken, or bone-in split or whatever...cooking pork or chicken in an oven without brining is a sin. When you go to a great restaurant and you cut into that thick pork chop and juices literally squirt out and the plate is covered in liquid...how do they do that? They brine and sear it.

Hmmm so you brine the pork too? how do you do that, the same way as the chicken?

I hardly ever brine anything. If it's an extra tough cut of meat, I cook it in the slow cooker. That makes pretty much any cut of meat tender. When I make a chicken or a turkey, I put an herb, garlic and butter mixture all over it and under the skin. I add just a bit of water or broth to the pan, and it comes out great every time. :)

Another tip, cook your chicken or turkey upside down for the first half of cooking, then turn it right side up to make it browned. That makes all the juices run into the breast part (which tends to dry out during cooking) and makes it tender and juicy. You have to use a rack though.

When I was little my mom used to make roast chicken in a bag in the oven, I been thinking of trying to do this myself anyone have any recipes they want to share?

My mom made similar, she cooked it in tinfoil. THe chicken breast some seasoning and some veggies would roast in the tinfoil. then you would dump it over rice. YUMMY.

Yes, you wrap your chicken/ turkey in foil and take it off to brown it. That is the juiciest bird you will ever eat. Using a bag...Betty Crocker nonsense for white ladies who never learned how to properly cook!

Yes, you wrap your chicken/ turkey in foil and take it off to brown it. That is the juiciest bird you will ever eat. Using a bag...Betty Crocker nonsense for white ladies who never learned how to properly cook!

I don't use tin foil or a bag. I rub it with herb butter, garlic butter or garlic and herb butter, and that browns the skin, and my chickens always come out good.

Forum List

Back