Roast chicken in a bag

High_Gravity

Belligerent Drunk
Nov 19, 2010
Richmond VA
When I was little my mom used to make roast chicken in a bag in the oven, I been thinking of trying to do this myself anyone have any recipes they want to share?

chicken-marinade-in-a-bag.jpg

I got these parchment bag things from a store -- looked like a good idea at the time. Once I got 'em home and opened the box I saw these things are enormous. Won't even fit in a big toaster oven. You could fit a whole chicken in it easily.

product_bags.png

But it seems like a good way to marinade for a while, like a curry. Hmmm... might happen soon.

Don't have recipes per se -- I've got some various marinade sauces and I'll generally start with their instructions and then just improvise ad hoc.

HERBED ROASTED CHICKEN IN A BAG
1 tbsp. flour
2 sm. onions (quartered)
2 celery ribs (coarsely chopped)
1 whole chicken (about 3 lb.)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp. butter (melted)
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. rosemary (crumbled)
1/2 tsp. dried sage

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Shake flour in a 10 x 16 inch oven cooking bag. Place bag in a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. Scatter onions and celery in bottom of bag. Season chicken cavity with salt and pepper. Place chicken in bag on top of vegetables. Combine melted butter, thyme, rosemary and sage in a small bowl. Brush chicken with herbed butter. Close bag with nylon tie. Make 6 1/2 inch slits in top for steam to escape. Bake 50 minutes, until juices run clear. Makes about four servings.

HERBED ROASTED CHICKEN IN A BAG
1 tbsp. flour
2 sm. onions (quartered)
2 celery ribs (coarsely chopped)
1 whole chicken (about 3 lb.)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp. butter (melted)
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. rosemary (crumbled)
1/2 tsp. dried sage

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Shake flour in a 10 x 16 inch oven cooking bag. Place bag in a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. Scatter onions and celery in bottom of bag. Season chicken cavity with salt and pepper. Place chicken in bag on top of vegetables. Combine melted butter, thyme, rosemary and sage in a small bowl. Brush chicken with herbed butter. Close bag with nylon tie. Make 6 1/2 inch slits in top for steam to escape. Bake 50 minutes, until juices run clear. Makes about four servings.

Thanks so much!

Brine in the refrigerator 2 days in advance.

2 gallons of water.
1/2 cup Kosher salt
1/2 cup garlic or garlic powder.
1/2 cup onion or onion powder.
Sprig of rosemary if you can find some fresh or grow your own.

I would think roasting in a bag would tend to steam the chicken rather than roast it.

A roast chicken is about the easiest dish to make there is- I use a high heat method- preheat oven to 500 degrees- salt and pepper inside and out- put on a rack in an oven proof casserole, roast for about half hour- checking internal temperature at about 20 minutes.

Everyone should know how to make a roast whole chicken.

It really isn't, the salt cures the meat, and thins the skin, and makes it yummy.

We used to make swiss steak in a bag...just meat, and some flour, salt, pepper, garlic, onions, green peppers, a can of diced tomatoes...nom nom nom.

Forum List

Back