RNC considers selling TV rights of presidential primary debates

Today class we will discuss the difference between pay and donation. Please open your lap tops, go to dictionary.com, search for 'pay' and 'donation'.

pay1    /peɪ/ Show Spelled
[pey] Show IPA
verb, paid or ( Obsolete except for defs. 12, 24c ) payed; pay·ing; noun, adjective
–verb (used with object)
1. to settle (a debt, obligation, etc.), as by transferring money or goods, or by doing something: Please pay your bill.
2. to give over (a certain amount of money) in exchange for something: He paid twenty dollars for the shirt.
3. to transfer money as compensation or recompense for work done or services rendered; to satisfy the claims of (a person, organization, etc.), as by giving money due: He paid me for my work.
4. to defray (cost or expense).
5. to give compensation for.

do·na·tion   /doʊˈneɪʃən/ Show Spelled
[doh-ney-shuhn] Show IPA

–noun
1. an act or instance of presenting something as a gift, grant, or contribution.
2. a gift, as to a fund; contribution.

Now that you have had the chance to review. Can anyone tell me the differences between the 2?

I have to question the credibility of anyone calling others brainless who doesn't read and comprehend their own quotes.

Um, it isn't me who doesn't understand the article. It absolutely WOULD amount to a donation to the RNC, no matter how you dress it up.

Thank you Care. God, righties are dumb.

I have to question the credibility of anyone calling others brainless who doesn't read and comprehend their own quotes.

Um, it isn't me who doesn't understand the article. It absolutely WOULD amount to a donation to the RNC, no matter how you dress it up.

Thank you Care. God, righties are dumb.

Then you have absolutely no concept of what a donation is.

When you purchase the broadcast rights for any type of things, you are clearly recieving consideration for your money. That would be the broadcast rights.

That "pay" would be going directly to the RNC for campaign funding purposes. There is no "pay" to a political campaign - only donation. Dumbasses.

Last edited:
Today class we will discuss the difference between pay and donation. Please open your lap tops, go to dictionary.com, search for 'pay' and 'donation'.

[pey] Show IPA
verb, paid or ( Obsolete except for defs. 12, 24c ) payed; pay·ing; noun, adjective
–verb (used with object)
1. to settle (a debt, obligation, etc.), as by transferring money or goods, or by doing something: Please pay your bill.
2. to give over (a certain amount of money) in exchange for something: He paid twenty dollars for the shirt.
3. to transfer money as compensation or recompense for work done or services rendered; to satisfy the claims of (a person, organization, etc.), as by giving money due: He paid me for my work.

[doh-ney-shuhn] Show IPA

–noun
1. an act or instance of presenting something as a gift, grant, or contribution.

Now that you have had the chance to review. Can anyone tell me the differences between the 2?

i don't see it two thumbs....

Paying the RNC, for a dinner ticket to view Politicians speak IS considered fund raising...

What precisely are the tv stations buying....from the RNC? they are buying the same thing, politicians speaking, so the money can go in to the RNC CAMPAIGN FUNDS, are they not?

regardless, as pointed out, the RNC passed this by and did not say they WOULD do this, at least not yet.

[pey] Show IPA
–verb (used with object)

[doh-ney-shuhn] Show IPA

–noun

Paying the RNC, for a dinner ticket to view Politicians speak IS considered fund raising...

What precisely are the tv stations buying....from the RNC? they are buying the same thing, politicians speaking, so the money can go in to the RNC CAMPAIGN FUNDS, are they not?

regardless, as pointed out, the RNC passed this by and did not say they WOULD do this, at least not yet.

I got tired of reading the link after it became clear that this was one of many ideas that were put on the table to help clear thier debt. AND it was not given any serious consideration.

In the world of politics what a word or action means can change with a clever explanation from a lawyer.

Give us money and we will feed you while we talk.

Give us money for an exclusive. Once it starts we have no control over what happens.

Peepers is pissed b/c he thinks FOX will buy it up and though soft ball questions.
FOX is not the #1 station in the nation, and it would be unlikely that they could out bid any of the big 3

Selling broadcast rights is not an in-kind donation.

What's so difficult to understand about this?

The media already controls who gets on TV and who doesn't.

How long has it been since we have seen a 3 way debate on TV?

If this passes muster, it could give an in to an array of 3rd parties to get thier voices heard.

And this would be different from obtaining funds thru fund raisers etc how??

Because you would have supposedly objective news sources contributing directly to one party and one party only. It's very different.

Not quite a contribution... they are buying broadcast rights...

broadcast rights of WHAT though....? of political speech....

if it was selling broadcast rights of Bambi meets Santa Clause, then to me, that could be different...

All money paid to a political party is considered a donation to the party. The "normal business" of the party is presenting candidates for office. Any funds they raise are toward that end. Therefore, selling the rights to the debates would constitute a "donation" like any other to the party subject to campaign finance laws.

I think there is a further issue in all of this as well. Can any news outlet be legally prohibited from not covering such debates for failure to buy rights to the same? Debates between political candidates are a matter of important public interest, and I would consider the first amendment to apply here.

The DNC is going to offer an event where Al Gore and President Obama speak. They are going to charge $200,000 per ticket for people to attend.

This isn't a donation, you see, it's paying admission to watch a speech.

No campaign violation there, right? right? Heck, the DNC's even going to include coffee and cookies - Starbucks coffee!

Because you would have supposedly objective news sources contributing directly to one party and one party only. It's very different.

if it was selling broadcast rights of Bambi meets Santa Clause, then to me, that could be different...

So because Rush Limbaugh, Glenn beck, Sean Hannity, not to mention other people sell the broadcast rights to their political speech, their distributors are now violating the law for providing donations?

Who exactly do you think owns the broadcast rights to the debate as of now? And why do you think it wouldnt have some monetary value to someone?

Political speech? No... because it will indeed be reported on freely by the press from all sources... But it is simply the RNC deriving income from it's property, which is the event itself, who has access, who has express written consent to transmit or broadcast

I would think you would be more concerned that big business broadcasters were getting free programing at the expense of politics and even some of taxpayer dollars

Personally, I say kudos... and I would say kudos to the DNC as well if they would do this

So because Rush Limbaugh, Glenn beck, Sean Hannity, not to mention other people sell the broadcast rights to their political speech, their distributors are now violating the law for providing donations?

Rush and Sean don't sell the right to broadcast their shows. They offer them free of charge to any station willing to carry them.

Forum List

Back