RIP Gregg Allman

I actually drank with him at a bar in 1994. The Allman Brothers recorded an album at Burt Reynolds Ranch in Jupiter.

They stayed the PGA National Resort cottages for a month.

There was a bar on the premises that I frequented back then. Empty bar and he came in and sat pretty much right next to me.

Grand experience for me. Not to get too into it, but he had a real serious alcohol problem and it was on full display. Not that he was angry or loud, but he...a few of us had to help him out to get to his ride. He actually put a 100 dollar bill in a jukebox. His manager explained that he had never seen quite a slave to alcohol and he had been around many musicians.

It really was a good experience. He was a decent man. Like I said, he was not an angry or loud drunk. Some guy yelled out at the bar (this was a decent place too), "what's it like to fuck Cher!?" The guy said it loud too.

Greg Allman got furious with the guy. He told him it was a decent family place and to shut up. He was actually pretty subdued about it.

Like I said, he was a decent guy, regardless of his struggles with substance. I was happy to hear he kept fighting it.

RIP..

Forum List

Back