Right mesage to children on Immigration issues?

scifi97

Rookie
Jan 18, 2010
Are stories like the one below sending the right message to kids today about the immigration situation?

“I’m sorry about today,” Trik said.
“You didn’t do anything wrong.”
“I could’ve stopped Gerry or something.”
Trik sat down next to Ashley, crossing his legs.
“Gerry’s right.”
“About what?”
“We’re illegal.”
Trik sat stunned. He had no idea what to say or even what to think. He just stared at Ashley as she stared at Apollo with a blank look on her face.
“So’s Wanita’s family.”
“But mom said you were both born here.”
“Wanita and I were but it was after our parents snuck across the border and settled here.”
“How long have you known?”
“I just found out today. When I went home and told my mom what Gerry said she got really nervous and started asking me all kinds of strange questions. When I asked her why she sat me down and told me it was time for me to learn the truth. Wanita’s mom and my mom are sisters.”
“You didn’t even know Wanita is your cousin?”
“They didn’t want anyone to know they’re related incase one of them got caught,”
“Did Wanita’s family get caught?”
“Mom says she doesn’t know what happened but I think she just doesn’t want me to know.”
“I don’t care how your family got here. I’m glad you’re my friend.”
Ashley looked at him smiling.
“Thanks. Me too.”
“What’re you going to do now?”
“Same thing we’ve been doing I guess. Mom says a little longer and I’ll be able to stay even if they have to go back.”

(From Raptor Ravine. Found it on Amazon.)

We are a country of laws.......the message being sent is that if you break the law there are consequences to pay. Nothing complicated about that. We either stop them at the border using whatever means necessary or we open the borders to EVERYBODY - north/east/south/west. Pick your poison.

I prefer the one where they get shot for throwing rocks at a borer patrol agent.

Are stories like the one below sending the right message to kids today about the immigration situation?

“I’m sorry about today,” Trik said.
“You didn’t do anything wrong.”
“I could’ve stopped Gerry or something.”
Trik sat down next to Ashley, crossing his legs.
“Gerry’s right.”
“About what?”
“We’re illegal.”
Trik sat stunned. He had no idea what to say or even what to think. He just stared at Ashley as she stared at Apollo with a blank look on her face.
“So’s Wanita’s family.”
“But mom said you were both born here.”
“Wanita and I were but it was after our parents snuck across the border and settled here.”
“How long have you known?”
“I just found out today. When I went home and told my mom what Gerry said she got really nervous and started asking me all kinds of strange questions. When I asked her why she sat me down and told me it was time for me to learn the truth. Wanita’s mom and my mom are sisters.”
“You didn’t even know Wanita is your cousin?”
“They didn’t want anyone to know they’re related incase one of them got caught,”
“Did Wanita’s family get caught?”
“Mom says she doesn’t know what happened but I think she just doesn’t want me to know.”
“I don’t care how your family got here. I’m glad you’re my friend.”
Ashley looked at him smiling.
“Thanks. Me too.”
“What’re you going to do now?”
“Same thing we’ve been doing I guess. Mom says a little longer and I’ll be able to stay even if they have to go back.”

(From Raptor Ravine. Found it on Amazon.)

no this sends the wrong message. It doesn't teach the children the whole story of the reason those families are having problems. That reason being they broke the immigration LAW of the united states.

Also by breaking this law they have put into place a chain of unintended consequences.....such as taking away jobs from those who had immigrated here legally.

I know the people are breaking our law becuase they want to provide a better life for their family...but if that reasoning is acceptable then I am going to break into your house and rob you to make a better life for my family, ok?

Forum List

Back