Rick Scott's police state

That's a very valid point. Unfortunately the choice for governor last year was a right of center swindling con artist and a left of center financial moron. Alex Sink's record as CFO is dismal.

I saw McCollum and Sink operate up close. I used to dislike McCollum back in the 90s but I did a complete 180 and wanted him as governor, including over Sink. But why was Sink's record as CFO dismal?

She was completely incompetent in preventing the graft and corruption. She oversaw the massive mismanagement of the state pension system. She ran for CFO on a pro-business platform and didn't deliver anything but anti-business policies. She wasn't even a competent watchdog, blinded (perhaps willfully so) by her own bias that government employees are trustworthy.

That's not a "Police State." Making Government smaller and more efficient does not = a "Police State." So the OP is obviously confused on what a Police State is. Florida has some very serious Budget problems. Rick Scott is trying to fix the problems in a mature & logical fashion. He's doing it much like Christie is doing it in New Jersey. The Democrats are making a bad habit out of branding anyone an "Evil Villain" if they try to address the serious problems in this nation. They just did it recently with Paul Ryan as well.

Ignoring the problems and labelling people "Evil Villains" isn't going to solve the problems. These tactics are short-term victories for the Democrats but they will likely be long-term losses for them in the end. A $14.5 Trillion Debt isn't just going to magically disappear. So Kudos to Rick Scott,Chris Christie,and Paul Ryan for trying to solve these problems. I think the People will respect them in the long run. And shame on the Democrats for their shallow & short-sighted attacks.

Last edited:
That's a very valid point. Unfortunately the choice for governor last year was a right of center swindling con artist and a left of center financial moron. Alex Sink's record as CFO is dismal.

I saw McCollum and Sink operate up close. I used to dislike McCollum back in the 90s but I did a complete 180 and wanted him as governor, including over Sink. But why was Sink's record as CFO dismal?

She was completely incompetent in preventing the graft and corruption. She oversaw the massive mismanagement of the state pension system. She ran for CFO on a pro-business platform and didn't deliver anything but anti-business policies. She wasn't even a competent watchdog, blinded (perhaps willfully so) by her own bias that government employees are trustworthy.

That's nonsense. I know the pension fund well. There isn't massive mismanagement at the state pension fund. The pension fund is one of the best run in the country. Scott tried to paint her as being responsible for the $24 billion decline during the financial crisis, but the trustees - the governor, CFO and AG - do not make investment decisions. And Sink had no more to do with the pension fund than Crist or McCollum, or Bush before her.

Oh, and the St Pete Times is full of shit, in case you want to go there.

Last edited:
Rick Scott is doing the right thing in Florida. He's tackling the very serious Budget problems there. The Democrats are branding him an "Evil Villain" but that's just cheap petty politics. They're doing the same thing with Paul Ryan. I think the People will respect these guys for at least trying to solve these serious problems. Ignoring these problems will not make them go away. The Democrats are playing their usual Class Warfare games and that's just very sad. Hopefully the People wont buy that stuff this time. It's time for the grown ups to buck up and tackle the problems. I wish Rick Scott the best of luck.

Of course the fact that he's granting our tax breaks and enventives to private citizens isn't troubling to many of us, is it?

That kind of revenue decreasing activity, (read corporate welfare) is fine with some of us.

Removing people that have a legitimate right to be in a public area while THEIR governor addresses a piece of legislation presented to him by the voters of THEIR state is certainly exercising rigid and repressive control over the social, economic, and political life of the population.

It's not a "public area." It was private property.

It loses its "private" property status when the Governor elects to use that land as a platform upon which he conducts the PUBLIC's business, BriPat.

Its a nice legalistic rationalization to hold a PUBLIC press conferences on private land so you can eliminate the public you don't want there.

But its unethical and an affront to the concept of this democratic republic to play that game.

It does not. The owners of the property do not loose their property rights simply because they allow the governor to use it for something they think is important.

That said, I again reiterate that Scott's staff was wrong for excluding people from the event. I already said that, but if I do not say it again someone will think I am defending him.

It loses its "private" property status when the Governor elects to use that land as a platform upon which he conducts the PUBLIC's business, BriPat.

Its a nice legalistic rationalization to hold a PUBLIC press conferences on private land so you can eliminate the public you don't want there.

But its unethical and an affront to the concept of this democratic republic to play that game.

It does not. The owners of the property do not loose their property rights simply because they allow the governor to use it for something they think is important.

That said, I again reiterate that Scott's staff was wrong for excluding people from the event. I already said that, but if I do not say it again someone will think I am defending him.

Apparently Editec believes everywhere the governor goes instantly becomes public property. The Founding Fathers would find that interpretation of the Constitution to be novel, to say the least.

Last edited:

You must be joking. So if the government attends the Republican convention for Florida, does that mean Democrats have to be admitted? Public property is public property, and private property is private property, regardless of who is using it or for what purpose. According to your theory, the governor's personal residence is now public property.

Don't be frikken absurd.

He shouldn't have advertised the event as "open to the public," but that's the only error he made. He violated no laws or committed any unethical acts.

This is purely a trumped up fuax scandal, as are most media attacks on Republicans.

Ave-Joe gets it.

When a public official is making public policy known, the concept of private property flies out the window.

ROFL! No it most certainly does not. Government never has the authority to violate anyone's property rights. That's one of the fundamental doctrines this country was founded on. Your conception of property rights is fascist to the bone.

If the owner of the private property doesn't like it, then they ought NOT allow the public official to use their land as a platform to conduct the PUBLIC's BUSINESS.

ROFL! If you don't like the fact that people have the right to lease their property to whomever they like and still retain their full rights to it, then you can stick it where the sun don't shine.

Try reading the Constitution before you further embarrass yourself.

That pretty much sums it up - it's not necessarily what he cut, it's the 'fuck you' politics that he brings to everything and the sweet-heart deals he makes with campaign contributors.

Any time government cuts spending on some program, it's saying "fuck you" to the people who benefit from that program, isn't it?

How does one cut a program without saying "fuck you" to someone?

When are libs going to admit they simply oppose any cut in spending?

Rick Scott stole 1.7 billion, minimum, from Medicare. Wonder how much he will steal from Florida?

He did no such thing.

This story grows wilder and more inaccurate every time I see it posted.

The asshole should be in Leavenworth, not the governor's mansion. Just shows what 'Conservatives' admire in people.

However, federal investigators found that Scott took part in business practices at Columbia/HCA that were later found to be illegal -- specifically, that Scott and other executives offered financial incentives to doctors in exchange for patient referrals, in violation of federal law, according to lawsuits the Justice Department filed against the company in 2001.

That's a blatant lie. Rick was never fined, and never charged with doing anything wrong – he was never even questioned as part of the investigation. And he played no part in Columbia/HCA’s decision to settle claims with the government.

The doctor payments were among 10 different kinds of fraud identified by the Justice Department in its 10-year probe of the company, records show. Three years after Scott left Columbia/HCA, the company admitted wrongdoing, pleading guilty to 14 felonies -- most committed during Scott's tenure -- in addition to paying two sets of fines totaling $1.7 billion.

They "admitted" no such thing. They simply settled with the government to get the investigation over with.

If want to read the truth about Rick Scott, instead of these sleazy despicable lies, you can do it here:

The Truth About Rick Scott

I would say slandering a perfectly respectable businessman, just because you don't like his political point of view, is the mark of an asshole who deserves to go to Leavenworth.

That's a blatant lie. Rick was never fined, and never charged with doing anything wrong – he was never even questioned as part of the investigation. And he played no part in Columbia/HCA’s decision to settle claims with the government

You're either a fool or a tool:

That deposition had to do with an anti-trust case involving his firm, not the Medicare fraud investigation.

You're an idiot and a liar.

You're either a fool or a tool:

That deposition had to do with an anti-trust case involving his firm, not the Medicare fraud investigation.

You're an idiot and a liar.
In the newly released video in the separate anti-trust case, Scott is seen testifying for two hours in case number 95-cv-00165, Orlando Regional Health v. Columbia/HCA Health, which is Scott's company.

As the video shows, he repeatedly dodges lawyers' questions while under oath - even at one point refusing to identify his own signature.

Moron.

In the newly released video in the separate anti-trust case, Scott is seen testifying for two hours in case number 95-cv-00165, Orlando Regional Health v. Columbia/HCA Health, which is Scott's company.

As the video shows, he repeatedly dodges lawyers' questions while under oath - even at one point refusing to identify his own signature.

Moron.

Not answering loaded questions is what good defense attorneys tell defense witnesses to do.

This has nothing to do with the issue under discussion. You failed to prove my claim was false, moron

Moron.

Not answering loaded questions is what good defense attorneys tell defense witnesses to do.

This has nothing to do with the issue under discussion. You failed to prove my claim was false, moron
I just proved that you're a liar. Deal with it.

I just proved that you're a liar. Deal with it.

You only proved that you're a moron.

Nope. You were busted britpat.

That pretty much sums it up - it's not necessarily what he cut, it's the 'fuck you' politics that he brings to everything and the sweet-heart deals he makes with campaign contributors.

Any time government cuts spending on some program, it's saying "fuck you" to the people who benefit from that program, isn't it?

How does one cut a program without saying "fuck you" to someone?

When are libs going to admit they simply oppose any cut in spending?

It's the symbolism of it. He got elected saying he'd cut spending. He did. Fair enough. But when you go out in public and turn a legislative process for the entire state into a political event for your own diehard supporters and exclude people in the private neighborhood who live there, it looks bad.

Apparently Editec believes everywhere the governor goes instantly becomes public property. The Founding Fathers would find that interpretation of the Constitution to be novel, to say the least.
The "ceremony" was advertised as open to the public. Even if it were a private affair, Scott does not own the land and has no business preventing residents from attending. He has no business instructing the police to remove people from his presence.

And his taxpayer paid for robocall really pissed off Republican officials because he basically blamed them for cutting funding to schools when in reality HE did.

:rofl:

Rick Scott used public money to make a campaign robocall.

Like I said, the guy is a toad.

You must be joking. So if the government attends the Republican convention for Florida, does that mean Democrats have to be admitted? Public property is public property, and private property is private property, regardless of who is using it or for what purpose. According to your theory, the governor's personal residence is now public property.

Don't be frikken absurd.

He shouldn't have advertised the event as "open to the public," but that's the only error he made. He violated no laws or committed any unethical acts.

This is purely a trumped up fuax scandal, as are most media attacks on Republicans.

If you're talking about the RNC that's going to be held in Florida for the next set of elections-they absolutely should not deny anybody entrance (as long as they have tickets-not sure if you need them or not), or deny people the right to gather outside of the convention.

And his taxpayer paid for robocall really pissed off Republican officials because he basically blamed them for cutting funding to schools when in reality HE did.

I've heard on more than a few occasions that the Republican legislature doesn't think highly of him. Don't know if it's true or not.

I've heard on more than a few occasions that the Republican legislature doesn't think highly of him. Don't know if it's true or not.
Same here. I do believe that even Florida Republicans find him too off-the-wall.

Forum List

Back