Rick Perry- where did it all go wrong?

They've all had very respectable careers.

Terrifying and incredibly sad that these are the best the GOb/Repubs have to offer.

And, nothing to respect. Nothing at all.

I believe several things hurt Rick Perry. He did have surgery, and the effects of anaesthesia can last a long time. Perry entered the race too late, he also just for whatever reason was not himself. Unfortunately for Rick Perry, by the time he started doing really good in the debates, it was too late. If Rick Perry had started the debates they way he did his last two debates, he would most likely have the nomination locked up.

It is sad that Perry started off as bad as he did, he was the only candidate that stood up for and defended the Marines who pissed on the bodies of the Taliban.

Ya...he should have got out front with the U S soldiers pissing on bodies much earlier. That was his big mistake...waiting too long.

They've all had very respectable careers.

Terrifying and incredibly sad that these are the best the GOb/Repubs have to offer.

And, nothing to respect. Nothing at all.

so who do the Democrats have that is so great?....Obama?.....he came out of a group of Democrats who looked about as good as these fuckheads......

Obama did something!! He ran a campaign!! He said "Hope"!! He said "Change". He's black too!! Are you a racist?

It went wrong the day he was born.
Not for the one million Texans who got the jobs Perry helped recruit.

As a Texan, I'm glad we're getting him back.

As an American, I regret the nation will not be using his great talents at putting people back to work.

Rick Perry is a great American man. He makes our state a pretty good place to work, but the voters in key states decided against his ability to provide jobs on account of listening to news sources with petty critiques against him.

I think that there will be people who will declare the TEA Party dead.

It is dead. Thank God. The pendulum had swung way too far into the Twilight Zone.

I don't think so. The thing is, the TEA Movement hasn't really been around long enough to establish solid leaders. It took 16 years between Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan for the modern conservative movement to take hold.

Horrible analogy. You forget Goldwater actually won the nomination.

After Romney loses, Perry might well be able to take another shot at it. But he should take his time and spend more time introducing himself to the American public.

Perry's problem is that he sounds too much like Bush.

You know what. I won't call anyone of these candidates a joke or a flake. They've all had very respectable careers.

And I'm sorry. Running as a Republican candidate means you get the shit kicked out of you, your family, your friends and your kindergarten teacher and your dog by the left wing media arm of the White House on a day to day basis.

It takes balls to run. Kudos to Perry for trying.
So much for the conservative mantra of ‘personal responsibility.’

Rightists are the biggest whiners – blame everyone but oneself.

Perry’s failure was his own alone, having nothing to do with the mythical ‘liberal media.’

From the onset. It was clear he wasn't serious about being president. Serious meaning that he didn't take the time to prepare for the race.
He was a little busy recovering from back surgery, geaux, and he went into the race too soon after surgery. He simply wasn't himself. Coaches make their athletes take off a year sometimes, depending on the surgery and the amount of time they can take a 16-year-old high school player to a 35-year-old professional ballhandler back on the field. Campaigns are rigorous, and Perry is I think at least 50. I'm sure he had the best of care, but I think I've heard some surgery anesthetics become residual and might slow people down mentally and physically. He had to have the surgery, and it was at the worst time. He's usually not one to get mixed up mid-sentence and has always been a good speaker.

Even so, it will be good to have our governor Rick Perry back. The Perrys are real nice people. :)

I think that there will be people who will declare the TEA Party dead.

It is dead. Thank God. The pendulum had swung way too far into the Twilight Zone.

I don't think so. The thing is, the TEA Movement hasn't really been around long enough to establish solid leaders. It took 16 years between Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan for the modern conservative movement to take hold.

Horrible analogy. You forget Goldwater actually won the nomination.

After Romney loses, Perry might well be able to take another shot at it. But he should take his time and spend more time introducing himself to the American public.

Perry's problem is that he sounds too much like Bush.

point was, Goldwater lost the election. And the immediate response was to renominate Nixon the next cycle.

I hear people say that the TEA Movement goes too far and such. I still have yet to see anyone really tell me where they've gone too far.

He stumbled badly in the first debate and never recovered. It takes a lot more than slogans and platitudes to win over conservatives. They are smart and they research issues, they want substantive answers. Perry couldn't answer the questions in depth and it showed.

If Perry was a Democrat, he'd be their candidate - liberals will buy anything....Hope and Change anyone?

Pretty much, yea.

Obviously someone lied to him.

I'd call those both accurate statements.

Mittens is a frontrunner who only has about 30% support in a four man race. That's just kind of sad when you think about it.

And sorry. Most of the other candidates were a joke. When you had people looking at Cardboard Pizza Man seriously, there was a problem with the quality of candidates.

Having the support of a third of the electorate in a four person race is pretty darn good.

If having 30% of the electorate is kind of sad, what does that say about your candidate who doesnt have close to that much?

He doesn't have 30% of the electorate. He's got 30% of the maybe 20 million people who participate in GOP primaries. Which is only about 10% of the electorate.

Right now, I'm still behind Newt, but I'd be happy with Santorum. But the fact he's struggling with these guys after spending tens of millions of dollars and the MSM mercilessly attacking them says he's a weak candidate.

It went wrong because he's not smart enough to be President.

Serves you right for supporting an average candidate.

Perry came in with high expectations and I think he thought it was gonna be easy.

It isn't easy running for POTUS. The debates are where the rubber hit the road and thats what killed him.

He was much better the last three debates and his speech yesterday where he endorsed Gingrich was just fine. To little to late though IMO.

Mayby 2016?? Who knows. He may say the hell with it. Running for POTUS isn't worth the bs that rolls your way.

He stumbled badly in the first debate and never recovered. It takes a lot more than slogans and platitudes to win over conservatives. They are smart and they research issues, they want substantive answers. Perry couldn't answer the questions in depth and it showed.

If Perry was a Democrat, he'd be their candidate - liberals will buy anything....Hope and Change anyone?

Okay then...as a conservative you should be able to tell us what Mitt's plans for the military are then, right?

I don't mean where he's going to send them. I mean, is he going to increase the size, decrease the size, close bases in Europe, Korea, Iraq, etc....?

Surely as a "smart" conservative, you've "researched" the issue and he's provided substantive answers.

Total agreement about Perry. He has never run in a race where the result wasn't a foregone conclusion. It showed on the National Stage and such non-vetting of candidates by Texas has shown in their state's dismal performance compared to other states.

It went wrong because he's not smart enough to be President.

Serves you right for supporting an average candidate.

I think he's smart enough, just didn't realize he was going to walk into a buzzsaw of a GOP establishment that is willing to cheat, lie, steal and slander in order to get their Weird Mormon Robot on the ballot.

So while conservatives resist this like a cat on its way to a bath, they double down on pushing him.

And Obama will cream the guy. Perry might have stood a chance.

Pretty much, yea.

Yes! I have often lamented the fact that liberals are so fond of slogans and platitudes. I am always hoping that some capable liberal will rise to prominence and speak in complete sentences..........treating the listener as though they were a thinking person.

I have always admired the "conservatives" that take center stage and never even attempt to introduce a slogan into the lexicon. They have such depth of thought and such high expectations of their supporters! They know they can't fool those voters.

*sigh*

Perry is a joke.

Gardasil
Succession
Gays in the Military Video
Going back into Iraq
His hunting lodge
Debate performances
Running from the first debate

That is a partial list.

His message never lined up with his record. He hasn't been a "consistent conservative". He was Gore's Texas campaign manager. He, by executive order, wanted to make sure that all girls in Texas got a shot for what amounts to an STD.

It's just too bad we didn't get to the Trans Texas Corridor. This is where he's confiscating your private property to build a highway that will bring in imports from Mexico much faster.

Those who supported him have to be thinking, "What were we thinking?"

CC, I'm still wondering if you got beat up by some Texas Rednecks in a bar once...

Because, honestly, you just keep kicking Perry over petty stuff, none of which was important.

He ran a bad campaign, absolutely. Romney ran an awful campaign in 2008, and he's the "frontrunner" right now. So Perry can take the lessons learned and come back in 2016, so you can look forward to that. (I still think Jeb Bush will be the nominee in 2016 after Mittens gets his ass handed to him by Obama).

Forum List

Back