Rich Lowry finally says something intelligent

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
It's only taken him 2+ decades:

I understand the impulse for Trump to pick Pence — an experienced pol, in good standing with conservatives, and not much of a lightning rod, at least not yet (the Left tends to make any GOP pick a lightning rod). But Trump’s running mate will have to be extremely deft at explaining away and deflecting Trump controversies. There is no reason to believe that Pence will be good at this, and I’m guessing he won’t be. Christie (comfortable at defending anything) and especially Newt (one of the most glib politicians of the last 30 years) would be much better by this metric. They both have downsides. No one will be excited by Christie, certainly not conservatives. Newt is famously ill-disciplined. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the Trump team thinks it’s getting a safe choice in Pence and then when he inevitably has trouble defending Trump (he has never operated on this kind of national stage), it won’t look so safe anymore.

Read more at: Beware a Pence Fizzle

Few things.

First, Rich Lowry is a pussy beta so his opinions mean nothing ;)

Secondly, nothing is official. Trump hasn't announced yet

And last up, I do hope he does NOT pick Pence. That would be a big mistake and bad move. I'd like to see Newt, Christie or Scott Brown get the nod. We'll see soon enough.

Few things.

First, Rich Lowry is a pussy beta so his opinions mean nothing ;)
Agreed.

Secondly, nothing is official. Trump hasn't announced yet

And last up, I do hope he does NOT pick Pence. That would be a big mistake and bad move. I'd like to see Newt, Christie or Scott Brown get the nod. We'll see soon enough.
Most likely not going to be Christie. When he was U.S. Attorney in NJ in 2004 he put Ivanka's husband's father in prison, and it was very ugly. From Slate.com:

Steve Kornacki @SteveKornacki
Btw, Christie as US Attorney prosecuted Charles Kushner - father of Trump's son-in-law

1:15 PM - 26 Feb 2016

That's a reference to Christie having prosecuted Kushner, a New Jersey real estate tycoon, in a totally insane early-2000s case that involved Kushner hiring a prostitute to seduce his own brother-in-law and then having a recording of their tryst sent to his (Kushner's) sister. Kushner was sentenced to two years in prison in 2005 after reaching a plea agreement with Christie. In 2009, Kushner's son Jared married Drumpf's daughter Ivanka. Jared Kushner now frequently appears onstage at Drumpf campaign events.​

From what I understand, Christie went after him viciously, and there's bad blood with Jared.

Newt is as likely to sabotage Trump as he is to help him, especially if Newt starts seeing the wheels come completely off. Newt is always interested in Newt first. I don't think he even wants the job, frankly. He just wants to be a player again to get larger speaking fees and to be in demand. Being in the government would squash all of that. But he would be entertaining in the Veep debate, I'll give him that.

Scott Brown is an interesting choice, though. But he could quickly become another Dan Quayle. He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I guess we'll now find out how good Pence is at defending accused rapist Donald Trump.

Forum List

Back