Revis Island

It won't be any less than Nnamdi Asomugha's.

And even though I think this holding out shit is such a bitch ass move, the Jets better get on it.

Check out his current contract details:

* It includes $11 million in guarantees.

* The first four years are worth a total of $16 million.

* The deal voids after four years if Revis hits 35% playing time in the first year or 45% in any of the next three years.

* If it voids, the Jets have the option of buying back the fifth and sixth years. The fifth year would cost $5 million. The sixth year would cost $9 million or $11 million or $13 million or $15 million, depending on a complicated points system.

* If it voids after the fourth year, the Jets can’t use the franchise or transition tag on him. The only way they could prevent him from becoming a free agent is to exercise the buy backs.

Details Out on Darrelle Revis’ Contract | thejetsblog.com

So he would be due $4 mil this season, $5 mil next season, then anywhere from $9-15 mil the following year. Assuming he is crushing the point system they set in place that's $24 mil over the next 3 years.

I got a feeling he wants 5yrs $100 mil.

I could have sworn I saw on SC the other day they said he's due only 1 mil this year. I might be wrong though.

But 100 mil for a CB is ridiculous. As great as Revis is, his ass can walk.

Yeah here it is:

Sources: New York Jets resume talks with Darrelle Revis - ESPN New York

Time is running out. The Jets open training camp Sunday; Revis, due to make only $1 million this season, is threatening a holdout.

He's apparently asking for 16.5/yr

Revis is seeking to become the highest-paid cornerback in the league, looking for about $16.5 million per year. The Jets' offer, proposed several weeks ago, is about $12 million a year, with no fully guaranteed money.

The Jets are making a reasonable offer at 12, but I don't get the no guaranteed money. At the very least, the guy deserves something guaranteed.

I think what you heard was they offered him a short term deal that would pay him another $1 mil this season.

I agree 100 mil is nutty but this guy's head has been crazy inflated the last year ... he could very well be asking for that. Might as well as high as possible to start. He wont get it but I still think what he does get is going to be an impressive number.

Yeah here it is:

Sources: New York Jets resume talks with Darrelle Revis - ESPN New York

Time is running out. The Jets open training camp Sunday; Revis, due to make only $1 million this season, is threatening a holdout.

He's apparently asking for 16.5/yr

Revis is seeking to become the highest-paid cornerback in the league, looking for about $16.5 million per year. The Jets' offer, proposed several weeks ago, is about $12 million a year, with no fully guaranteed money.

The Jets are making a reasonable offer at 12, but I don't get the no guaranteed money. At the very least, the guy deserves something guaranteed.

Well alight then, scratch that rumor of mine.

Must be nice having to negotiate heatedly between 12 million a year and 16.5 :rolleyes:

Filthy rich, or just a little bit more filthy rich :lol:

I'll never understand it.

I imagine it must be like having a guaranteed winning lottery ticket and the power to alter the payout.

They should do it like lotteries, where the player can pick full cash payout or annuity. If they pick cash payout they get significantly less, but if they pick annuity they're bound by injury and performance clauses.

So 12 mil/5 years he can take the 60 now and be done with it, or 16.5 and he has to stay healthy and perform to standards over those 5 years to make the whole 82.5

Yeah the cash would have to be less for that to be a real choice. I didn't really think it through. Maybe more like 9 mil. 45 mil cash now, or 82 over 5 years.

45 still puts him right there with Asomugha.

Last edited:
Jets owner has gut feeling that Revis won't be playing this season.

Let's analyze the logic behind this...

Revis wants big money, so he goes so far as to not even play football for a whole season.

Now you got a guy next year who's out of football shape, and isn't even WORTH that big money now.

What a fucking moron.

Jets owner has gut feeling that Revis won't be playing this season.

Let's analyze the logic behind this...

Revis wants big money, so he goes so far as to not even play football for a whole season.

Now you got a guy next year who's out of football shape, and isn't even WORTH that big money now.

What a fucking moron.

And he still owes the Jets the same three years he owes them now because he didn't play.

This whole situation is messed up. Though Mark on Mike & Mike in the Morning made a great point a few days ago. He talked about how NFL contracts are pretty much written on toilet paper and that Revis is just trying to make money now while the iron is hot. Both the Owners and Players are in bed on these kind of contacts, so I feel sorry for nobody.

As a Patriots fan, this story is especially interesting to me though.

This whole situation is messed up. Though Mark on Mike & Mike in the Morning made a great point a few days ago. He talked about how NFL contracts are pretty much written on toilet paper and that Revis is just trying to make money now while the iron is hot. Both the Owners and Players are in bed on these kind of contacts, so I feel sorry for nobody.

As a Patriots fan, this story is especially interesting to me though.

I don't really know much about the nuances of football financial negotiations, but a contract is a contract. The only thing that would hinder either side's financial foothold in the legally binding agreement would be unknown loopholes in the text.

But that's why you have lawyers who take care of that shit for you.

Forum List

Back