Review of J. Peterson: Maps of Meaning

If you dislike the guy so much, why don't you take it up with him, instead of starting so many threads here to whine about him?

If you dislike the guy so much, why don't you take it up with him, instead of starting so many threads here to whine about him?

I'm not whining. I am analyzing a philosophical standpoint for the betterment of people's understanding and to stimulate an intellectual debate.

The man speaks clearly, rationally and reasonably about what is going on linguistically. That is something we all definitely have to take a careful look at. We need to make sure we really understand the basics. Above all, we need to fully appreciate, integrate, practice those basics. They are being used against all of us, as things are now.

We desperately need reasoned and informed voices such as Peterson's.

Neo-Hegelian

even dictionary.com doesn't bother to define it.
Even The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy doesn’t list the term. As with many terms prefixed with NEO ( I presume your search was conducted under NEO and not HEGELIAN)
listings will invariably be under the particular ISM your interested in, not one of it’s variations or offshoots .
Sorry if that sounds pedantic but my training as a librarian lurches to the forefront now and again. If a program existed that listed web content according to Dewey Decimal Classification life would be a lot easier than the idiocy embodied in most search engines.
As to the prostitution of language today I suggest we’d be in far less of a mess if M BA’s weren’t in charge of universities. Their skill in creating meaningless terminology is infecting far too many disciplines outside their own specious area. Then we have the ancient problem of philosophers using terms in unique ways exclusive to their own tomes. Schopenhauer’s ‘Will’ comes to mind. And don’t get me started on the French deconstructionists - steam starts to come out of my ears.

Interestingly Googling the term brings up Absolute idealism under which Neo-Hegelianism cracks a passing mention. Go figure

As to Peterson’s claim "All myths and religion boil down to the joint effort of humankind to create the ideal society. Spirit becomes manifest in cultural products and homogeneous social interaction. “ I’m too interested in preserving my sanity to research this claim further but my intitial reaction is along the lines of ‘utter bullshit’ if I can be so un-philosophic.

Concerning DICTIONARY.COMS absurdly limited definition of neo-hegelian
  1. "Hegelianism as modified by various philosophers of the latter half of the 19th century.” all it tells us is WHEN not WHAT.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back