Retailers report solid gains in August

Retailers usually have solid gains in August. It's called parents needing to by supplies for their children in preparation to going back to school.

Those gains will thus evaporate this month until November when once again you'll be shocked to see retail stores reporting solid gains because of a little known holiday called Christmas.

When we start approaching full employment again, ill be more optimistic for our economic future. But we won't do that until we get rid of the corruption in Washington.

• Banned
And the parents had the money huh?

they spent it on items they needed.

I know you want this country to fail because you place party over country but guess what?

Your party in congress went home and got an EARFULL from Americans and now they are already saying they will pass what Obama offers.

They know they are sunk if they keep obstructing everything

Despite those factors, revenue in August among 26 retailers was up 4.6 percent at stores open at least a year...

Wow.. they checked with 26 whole stores! We're saved!

Target said its monthly results, which were helped by an increase in average transaction size, also got a boost of one-half of a percentage point as shoppers in the East headed to its stores to buy groceries and other goods to prepare for Irene.
So now TM thinks the hurricane was good for the economy? :rofl:

Not everyone had gains, though. J.C. Penney Co. and Kohl’s Corp., both reported unexpected declines as shoppers continued to veer toward the higher- and lower-end retailers instead of those serving the middle-of-the-road customer.

Gap Inc., which had long been struggling with a sales malaise, said revenue at stores opened at least a year fell 6 percent. The declines were across all its brands, including its namesake stores, Banana Republic and Old Navy.

Leave it to TM to ignore the overall gist of an article in favor of the title.

And yet, one of TDM's lesser gods is perplexed by the lack of consumer spending over the last two years.

Bernanke puzzled by weak consumer spending - BusinessWeek

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said he's surprised by how cautious consumers have been in the two years since the recession officially ended. But the Fed chief offered no hints of any steps the Fed would take to boost the weak economy.

Bernanke said Thursday that a number of factors are keeping consumers from spending more, including high unemployment, a temporary spike in energy prices, falling home prices and high debt burdens.

Some economists say the Fed must take further action to help the economy avoid another recession.

The economy barely grew in the first half of the year, and the government said last week that employers stopped adding jobs in August.

But, TDM's new motto is "Keep Hope Alive" at all costs.

A single month increase in retail spending is good, for the retailers that saw increases. It sure as hell doesn't help the unemployed as retailers don't seem to be showing an increase in hiring employees.

Immie

Despite those factors, revenue in August among 26 retailers was up 4.6 percent at stores open at least a year...

Wow.. they checked with 26 whole stores! We're saved!

So now TM thinks the hurricane was good for the economy? :rofl:

Not everyone had gains, though. J.C. Penney Co. and Kohl’s Corp., both reported unexpected declines as shoppers continued to veer toward the higher- and lower-end retailers instead of those serving the middle-of-the-road customer.

Gap Inc., which had long been struggling with a sales malaise, said revenue at stores opened at least a year fell 6 percent. The declines were across all its brands, including its namesake stores, Banana Republic and Old Navy.

Leave it to TM to ignore the overall gist of an article in favor of the title.

i forgot about the rush to the stores for the hurricane. Thank you for the reminder.

I know you want this country to fail because you place party over country but guess what?

Your party in congress went home and got an EARFULL from Americans and now they are already saying they will pass what Obama offers.

Yeah. They increased their spending in a month where they traditionally increase their spending. I don't see that as an economic boom TM. That's just the natural cycle.

When are you going to realize that government isnt the solution to our economic problem. It is the cause of our economic problem.

Yeah. They increased their spending in a month where they traditionally increase their spending. I don't see that as an economic boom TM. That's just the natural cycle.

When are you going to realize that government isnt the solution to our economic problem. It is the cause of our economic problem.

Was this a gain over July sales or one year ago sales? I read it as being a gain in year ago sales, but it doesn't really say that.

It does mention "stores open at least a year" several times which led me to believe that it was year ago numbers that increased.

Immie

TM = Party over country as she puts it. Looking at the very small amount of "good news" so TM can support Obama who has forced failed policy on an economy that is tanking when you actually take everything into context.

More good news TM, the stock market is crashing and I'm sure you can link it all to Bush.

New Topics

Forum List

Back