Republicans serve the devil his tea.......

Republicans serve the devil his Tea - The Week

The GOP's Faustian bargain with the Tea Party will cost it dearly in 2012 — or sooner
posted on September 16, 2010, at 5:40 PM

From the day this president was inaugurated, the GOP has fed off the forces that coalesced into the angry astringency of the Tea Party movement.

First the GOP maintained lockstep opposition to the stimulus, despite support from Republican economists. Republicans then proliferated lies about health reform — from the chimera of rationing to the nonexistent death panels. They next stoked the fires by pretending that the legislation to crack down on Wall Street was instead a giveaway to Wall Street.

Shrunken and narrowed, the GOP is increasingly dominated by a far-right rump. Republicans are now riding high on the tide of economic discontent. But they are even less popular than the Democrats—and far less popular than Obama — according to The New York Times/CBS poll. Republican leaders miscalculated their way into a place where their own influence has waned: They’ll lose seats in 2010 that they could have won, and they’ve imperiled the customary route to their presidential nomination, strengthening Barack Obama’s prospects for re-election.

Wingy, you are the best!

I just love the fact that you are not only willing and able to champion the lefty view, but come out with predictions, which may very well turn around and bite you on the rear.

You are what makes this board fun and interesting! Kudos!

1. "The GOP's Faustian bargain with the Tea Party..."
I suppose one could post about the internecine battles on the right...but not I!
I'm still basking in the afterglow brought on by your brave, perhaps foolhardy, post.

2. "...GOP maintained lockstep opposition to the stimulus..."
Some would leap at the opportunity to document what a flop the bloated 'scamuous' was, and carp about how many of us on the right predicted same.

But not I!

3. " ...proliferated lies about health reform — from the chimera of rationing to the nonexistent death panels."
Oops...I almost said 'Berwick'....

4. "They’ll lose seats in 2010 that they could have won,..."
Some with less self control might show how this applies to the Democrat ascendancy of '08...but I have said contol!

5. "...strengthening Barack Obama’s prospects for re-election."
There are some who would quickly counter with articles about Hillary, and President Obama pulling a Polk in '12, but I would not even link to Obama might not run in 2012: Finally, something worth supporting! - Philadelphia Camden County Conservative | Examiner.com

Thank you, brave wingy, for the joy and merriment you have brought to my day!
Rest assured, you will be high in my evening devotions.
:lol:

You seem to be trying to write off the GOP, as much as I detest the two party system which includes those useless sacks of flesh such as Gingrich, they are no more going away than the Democratic Party did in 04 after they took an ass whupping.

No...not write them off

The political pendulum swings back and forth and the GOP will have its day again. Its just that the Tea Party will not accelerate the process. To gain control you have to govern from the center. The Tea Party which is just rebranded Republican Conservativism, enforces an extremist doctrine and punishes anyone who strays towards the center.

The result will be a diminished Republican base which alienates the majority of Americans who occupy the center politically

Spoken as a true partisan.

You seem to be trying to write off the GOP, as much as I detest the two party system which includes those useless sacks of flesh such as Gingrich, they are no more going away than the Democratic Party did in 04 after they took an ass whupping.

No...not write them off

The political pendulum swings back and forth and the GOP will have its day again. Its just that the Tea Party will not accelerate the process. To gain control you have to govern from the center. The Tea Party which is just rebranded Republican Conservativism, enforces an extremist doctrine and punishes anyone who strays towards the center.

The result will be a diminished Republican base which alienates the majority of Americans who occupy the center politically

We shall see

The Tea Party has shown its ability to invigorate 30% of the electorate. The other 70% still looks at them as a bunch of nutjobs.

By embracing that guaranteed 30% of the vote, the GOP ensures that they will be a minor party for years to come

No...not write them off

We shall see

The Tea Party has shown its ability to invigorate 30% of the electorate. The other 70% still looks at them as a bunch of nutjobs.

By embracing that guaranteed 30% of the vote, the GOP ensures that they will be a minor party for years to come

Have a source for those figures? Or is this a way of showing denial that this Government, in particuliar the Statist Democrats are in deep doo-doo?

Look at all of you teabag heads throwing the insults around so fast and furious!!! Sounds kind of frantic to me. You all know what's going to happen and you're just hysterical over it!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Forum List

Back