Republicans Have Long History of NOT Supporting Veterans

Reader Views: Republicans Should Support Veterans
Posted on August 20, 2011 by Examiner Media

As a veteran, and one who uses the services of the VA hospital in Montrose, I read with interest last week’s article about Congresswoman Nan Hayworth’s fight to “save Montrose and save Castle Point.” I wish Ms Hayworth success, but I fear her battle is going to be mainly with her own party.

There is a common misconception about Republicans, who are known for large defense spending and getting us into wars easily, but they have a woeful history for supporting veterans.

These are the facts: under the guidance of House Republican Leader John Boehner, Republicans voted against providing special $500 payments for every month that 185,000 service members and veterans were forced to serve under stop-loss orders since Sept. 11, 2001.

Republicans voted against extending the New GI Bill college benefits to all children of service members who have died on active duty since 9-11-01.

Republicans voted against providing businesses with a $2,400 tax break for the hiring of an unemployed veteran, a $250 one-time payment to nearly two million disabled veterans receiving benefits from the Veterans Affairs Department as part of the make-work-pay tax credit, and $1.2 billion for veterans’ medical facilities repairs throughout the country.

Republicans voted against ensuring that activated military reservists do not suffer a pay cut by providing a tax credit for small businesses employers who continue to pay their National Guard and Reserve employees when they are called up to serve.

Under President George W. Bush it was even worse.

Republicans voted against a $1,500 bonus for troops serving in Iraq and Afghanistan while voting for a pay raise for them. [H.R. 3289, Vote #554, 10/17/03. Rejected 213-213].

The Bush administration cut off veterans’ health care for veterans who make as little as $26,000 a year in the lead up to the Iraq War, which resulted in more than 1.6 million veterans being denied VA health care over four years.

As the Iraq War began, House Republicans voted to cut $14 billion from veterans’ health care and $14 billion from veterans’ benefits, including veterans’ pensions, compensation, and education. This could have denied health care to 168,000 veterans, or cut the number of VA nurses by 8,700.[H Con. Res. 95, 2003 Vote #82, 3/21/03]

Republicans voted for the FY 2007 budget that hurts America’s veterans, including cuts in health care totaling $6 billion and as much as tripling TRICARE health care costs for military retirees under 65. [HCR376, 5/18/2006, Vote# 158]

President Obama on the other hand, has taken historic action in support of our troops and veterans such as:

Enacting the new G.I. Bill to provide returning troops with a full, four-year college education.

He is enacting historic investments in veterans’ health care and services, and ensuring that funding one year in advance to prevent political or legislative delays.

He has expanded economic opportunities for returning soldiers. He also enacted landmark legislation providing support to family members and others who care for wounded veterans, and enhancing health services for the 1.8 million women veterans.

Making speeches on town hall steps is all very well, and while it’s nice to hear, “Thanks for your service”, but it’s really time for our politicians to put up or shut up.

Kevin Roberts, USMC Veteran,

Pleasantville

Republicans Should Support Veterans | The Examiner News

Imagine the flag waving party screwing over veterans!

Republicans getting caught with their pants down is kind of exciting...

what's exciting is you believing you've hit on a jackpot of some sorts..the reasons for the no votes were pointed out to you but you JUST ignored them and went on and on and on anyway IF anything you should be pissed at the Democrats for throwing OTHER SHIT in the bill that were going for the VETS you say you care so much about...but you are just a partisan hack and transparent.
.now we know you'll be bringing us more jackpot shit for us from the Hufferpost, so we all wait on the edge of our seats...YAWN

Last edited:
what's exciting is you believing you've hit on a jackpot of some sorts..the reasons for the no votes were pointed out to you but you JUST ignored them and went on and on and on anyway IF anything you should be pissed at the Democrats for throwing OTHER SHIT in the bill that were going for the VETS you say you care so much about...but you are just a partisan hack and transparent.
.now we know you'll be bringing us more jackpot shit for us from the Hufferpost, so we all wait on the edge of our seats...YAWN

Thanks for dropping by however you fail to mention what other shit was in the bills. Perhaps it was not other shit. McCain could be lying. Bush always waves flags yet always blows off vets as well. In spite of his public rhetoric.

Voting Against Veterans

# Veterans Groups Give McCain Failing Grades. In its most recent legislative ratings, the non-partisan Disabled American Veterans gave Sen. McCain a 20 percent rating for his voting record on veterans' issues. Similarly, the non-partisan Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America gave McCain a "D" grade for his poor voting record on veterans' issues, including McCain's votes against additional body armor for troops in combat and additional funding for PTSD and TBI screening and treatment.

# McCain Voted Against Increased Funding for Veterans' Health Care. Although McCain told voters at a campaign rally that improving veterans' health care was his top domestic priority, he voted against increasing funding for veterans' health care in 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007. (Greenville News, 12/12/2007; S.Amdt. 2745 to S.C.R. 95, Vote 40, 3/10/04; Senate S.C.R. 18, Vote 55, 3/16/05; S.Amdt. 3007 to S.C.R. 83, Vote 41, 3/14/06; H.R. 1591, Vote 126, 3/29/07)

# McCain Voted At Least 28 Times Against Veterans' Benefits, Including Healthcare. Since arriving in the U.S. Senate in 1987, McCain has voted at least 28 times against ensuring important benefits for America's veterans, including providing adequate healthcare. (2006 Senate Vote #7, 41, 63, 67, 98, 222; 2005 Senate Votes #55, 89, 90, 251, 343; 2004 Senate Votes #40, 48, 145; 2003 Senate Votes #74, 81, 83; 1999 Senate Vote #328; 1998 Senate Vote #175; 1997 Senate Vote #168; 1996 Senate Votes #115, 275; 1995 Senate Votes #76, 226, 466; 1994 Senate Vote #306; 1992 Senate Vote #194; 1991 Senate Vote #259)

VetVoice:: McCain's Miserable Record of Not Supporting America's Troops and Veterans

well then don't vote for McCain. easy nuff.

No problem it's a piece a of cake to NOT vote republican
well your half way there......when you can also say that about Democrats you will have made it.........

As a veteran, and one who uses the services of the VA hospital in Montrose, I read with interest last week’s article about Congresswoman Nan Hayworth’s fight to “save Montrose and save Castle Point.” I wish Ms Hayworth success, but I fear her battle is going to be mainly with her own party.

There is a common misconception about Republicans, who are known for large defense spending and getting us into wars easily, but they have a woeful history for supporting veterans.

These are the facts: under the guidance of House Republican Leader John Boehner, Republicans voted against providing special $500 payments for every month that 185,000 service members and veterans were forced to serve under stop-loss orders since Sept. 11, 2001.

Republicans voted against extending the New GI Bill college benefits to all children of service members who have died on active duty since 9-11-01.

Republicans voted against providing businesses with a $2,400 tax break for the hiring of an unemployed veteran, a $250 one-time payment to nearly two million disabled veterans receiving benefits from the Veterans Affairs Department as part of the make-work-pay tax credit, and $1.2 billion for veterans’ medical facilities repairs throughout the country.

Republicans voted against ensuring that activated military reservists do not suffer a pay cut by providing a tax credit for small businesses employers who continue to pay their National Guard and Reserve employees when they are called up to serve.

Republicans voted against a $1,500 bonus for troops serving in Iraq and Afghanistan while voting for a pay raise for them. [H.R. 3289, Vote #554, 10/17/03. Rejected 213-213].

The Bush administration cut off veterans’ health care for veterans who make as little as $26,000 a year in the lead up to the Iraq War, which resulted in more than 1.6 million veterans being denied VA health care over four years.

As the Iraq War began, House Republicans voted to cut $14 billion from veterans’ health care and $14 billion from veterans’ benefits, including veterans’ pensions, compensation, and education. This could have denied health care to 168,000 veterans, or cut the number of VA nurses by 8,700.[H Con. Res. 95, 2003 Vote #82, 3/21/03]

Republicans voted for the FY 2007 budget that hurts America’s veterans, including cuts in health care totaling $6 billion and as much as tripling TRICARE health care costs for military retirees under 65. [HCR376, 5/18/2006, Vote# 158]

President Obama on the other hand, has taken historic action in support of our troops and veterans such as:

Enacting the new G.I. Bill to provide returning troops with a full, four-year college education.

He is enacting historic investments in veterans’ health care and services, and ensuring that funding one year in advance to prevent political or legislative delays.

He has expanded economic opportunities for returning soldiers. He also enacted landmark legislation providing support to family members and others who care for wounded veterans, and enhancing health services for the 1.8 million women veterans.

Making speeches on town hall steps is all very well, and while it’s nice to hear, “Thanks for your service”, but it’s really time for our politicians to put up or shut up.

Pleasantville

yea i can see it.....i can also see the Democrats doing it.....why cant you?......

Thanks for dropping by however you fail to mention what other shit was in the bills. Perhaps it was not other shit. McCain could be lying. Bush always waves flags yet always blows off vets as well. In spite of his public rhetoric.

I guess you didn't EVEN BOTHER to look at your own bills you posted...
hufferpost is calling.

hufferpost is calling.

As I said perhaps there was no shit. After all what McCain may call shit I may see yumo pineapple.

hufferpost is calling.

As I said perhaps there was no shit. After all what McCain may call shit I may see yumo pineapple.

not our problem you're not bright enough to see the other ADDED shit in the bills..
but carry on..:eusa_whistle:
and here's a suggestion for you...don't VOTE for McCain

Pleasantville

both sides have done it.....the Iraq 1 war vets that work in the PO sure as hell dont have a lot of good things to say about the Clinton Administrations handling of them.....and a good portion of these guys identify as Democrats.....

Facts are so inconvenient for Pub dupes...Harry, get back on your meds.

Republicans Have Long History of NOT Supporting Veterans, or anyone esle but the rich. Great salesmen though....the dittoheads have NO sales resistance LOL.

Being against stupid wars does not mean you're against the soldiers, fer crying out loud.

here is some of the shit dumbass......from different sources.....next time ask your mommy or daddy to help you post on things you know little about......
Defense Appropriations Bill Full of Pork
Tasty Pork in the Defense Bill - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine
Defense Bill Earmarks Total $4 Billion - WSJ.com
Tracking Your Taxes: Defense Bill Pays For Prostate Screenings, Sprinkler System | Fox News

No problem it's a piece a of cake to NOT vote republican
well your half way there......when you can also say that about Democrats you will have made it.........

I vote for the candidates not the parties. Which allows me to vote in every aisle accordingly...

Screwing over vets is simply unacceptable behavior!!

sure you do,thats why you said ......"No problem it's a piece a of cake to NOT vote republican".......you have been waving the Democratic flag since you have been here.....and if you thought screwing over Vets is unacceptable you would be bad mouthing both parties.....your just another one of those who sit WAY OUT in the Left field bleachers.....

If it's under Obama repubs say too much pork but if under Bush pork was great.

Anyway the repubs have been screwing vets since the days of Bush/Cheney..... what was the pork in those days.

The pork was vets benefits.....

Support the Vets!!!

Facts are so inconvenient for Pub dupes...Harry, get back on your meds.

Republicans Have Long History of NOT Supporting Veterans, or anyone esle but the rich. Great salesmen though....the dittoheads have NO sales resistance LOL.

Being against stupid wars does not mean you're against the soldiers, fer crying out loud.

Frankie if there is anyone in this forum who is on Medication its you......notice the things that get said about you from the posters here......here is a little tidbit for you Frankie.....most Posters here put you in the same category as Mr. Shamen,Douger and Cheesewarow.....i know i cant imagine why myself.....

Every social program, pay raise, and benefit for veterans or anyone else are thanks to Democrats- and yes they deserve it. Pubs major in giveaways to big business and the wealthy...

Forum List

Back