Republican Senators send a letter to Iran. Wow. Damn!

Republicans Warn Iran -- and Obama -- That Deal Won t Last - Bloomberg View

A group of 47 Republican senators has written an open letter to Iran's leaders warning them that any nuclear deal they sign with President Barack Obama's administration won’t last after Obama leaves office.
Organized by freshman Senator Tom Cotton and signed by the chamber's entire party leadership as well as potential 2016 presidential contenders Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz and Rand Paul, the letter is meant not just to discourage the Iranian regime from signing a deal but also to pressure the White House into giving Congress some authority over the process.

“It has come to our attention while observing your nuclear negotiations with our government that you may not fully understand our constitutional system … Anything not approved by Congress is a mere executive agreement,” the senators wrote. “The next president could revoke such an executive agreement with the stroke of a pen and future Congresses could modify the terms of the agreement at any time.”

Arms-control advocates and supporters of the negotiations argue that the next president and the next Congress will have a hard time changing or canceling any Iran deal -- -- which is reportedly near done -- especially if it is working reasonably well.

Well, this is new, even in the world of the GOP batshit-crazy. This really does one-up it all. It's also kind of funny that there is a constitutional error in what the Senators wrote to the government of Iran. The Senate does NOT ratify treaties. That is even indicated directly on their Senate website. Instead, the Senate takes up a resolution of ratification, by which the Senate formally gives its advice and consent, empowering the president to proceed with ratification” . It's a fine point, almost splitting hairs, but worth noting.

So, Republicans hate this Democratic President so much that they are even willing to pen a letter to someone they consider an enemy of ours.

Back to the Bloomberg link:

It's stunning. And it's a rebuke on an international stage that doesn't really have a precedent. Imagine Democrats micro-managing the START talks in the 80s by sending an open letter to Gorbachev? It just wouldn't have been viewed as an acceptable political move while the talks were still happening.

The only conclusion we can make is that the GOP is not the loyal opposition, it is a severly disloyal opposition and deserves to be treated with disdain and contempt for such unamerican behavior. The GOP simply hates America, it's that simple.
Obama needs approval of the senate to ratify a treaty.
with a 2/3 vote...as of now, he will have trouble getting a 50% vote.....so I don't understand why the letter.....what was it to accomplish?
Why the letter?

You said you support it.

This government is completely trash. Its like 2 immature fuckin fraternities going tit for tat with each other like girls
I support the right for any member of congress to express his/her view.

However, I don't see what those 47 senators expected to gain form it...it surely wont help....so I don't support it OR denounce it....until I find out what their angle was.

Holy shit!!!!!

It is fucking trolling. That's it. Idiot nutters trolling the POTUS.

It isn't complicated.

This is the first time we have had a genuine moron as president. Uncharted waters.

If you didn't want to have an actual discussion, you should have said so. We will just have to remember this sort of thing if there is ever another republican president.

Treasonous actions are okay if you think the President elected in two electoral landslides is a "moron". Good to know for the Dems in the future.
If you wanted an actual discussion you would not be screaming treason. Read the basis for the Senates warning. Even the ayatollah understands how the cow eats the cabbage.
Sabotage, aiding and abetting and giving the enemy an advantage adds up to treason. It is what it is.
You mean preventing the president's treason?
There are plenty of ways for the Senate to contest or prevent treaties from reaching fruition or agreement. Sabotaging negotiations is not one of them that is acceptable. Sabotaging negotiations is treason.
How does this sabotage negotiations? We haven't told iran anything they don't know. And there is no guarantee they will abide by what they negotiate in the first place.

No Stat...if Bush did something like what Obama is doing - ALL of you guys would be screaming bloody murder.
President Obama no way, no how should be making any deals as important as this without Congress. That is absolutely stupid. We are not Venezuela.
You might remember something called the Revolutionary War that was fought to remove ourselves from Monarchical governance.
No we'd probably be shocked
Wow that's damn near treasonous. Interfering in the most important negotiation our country is facing in a way that benefits the enemy. But that's the GOP for you, politics before America. :cool:
Obama's treaty paves a super highway for Iranian nukes and you jackasses call the GOP treasonous.

Grow up and get your head out of Obama's ass.
Get your head out of your own ass first. "Paves a superhighway for Iranian nukes?" Is that what Hannity and Levin have been calling it? You people are ridiculous.

But MAD implies allowing them to have a nuke to be deterred. The Jews have said no deal to that.
It also implies that both parties have the means to destroy the other.
How could Iran threaten the US with destruction?

Great move by the Republicans to demonstrate to Hussein Obama once and for all that hasn't got the Dictator style power to which he thinks he is entitled!

Only a committed appeacing admirer of the Iranian Regime could not clearly see that the Mullahs are playing its usual double game.

The surprising thing is the Iranian Regime is clearly announcing its dangerous intentions, as did Hitler, but Hussein Obama chooses to ignore the obvious.

But MAD implies allowing them to have a nuke to be deterred. The Jews have said no deal to that.
It also implies that both parties have the means to destroy the other.
How could Iran threaten the US with destruction?
They can't directly. They can using Obabble's open borders. And the focus is israel...they could be decimated with one bomb...they are not going to tolerate that....no way.

Your fantasies of war are just that. Five million Jews versus 300 million Arabs and 75 million Persians. Do the math.
Suddenly there will be 5 million Persians...and they will have radiation sickness.
Yep, you're a total loon alright.
Won't be me...it will be the Jews.
The little Jewish Nazi didn't come here because he has any real power. He doesn't, and he knows it, so why don't you?
I am content for the Jewish peeps to make the decision...
They can't, and they know it.

Suddenly there will be 5 million Persians...and they will have radiation sickness.
The little Jewish Nazi didn't come here because he has any real power. He doesn't, and he knows it, so why don't you?
Why not?

Why not?
Because taking action on their own would lead to their destruction, and they know it. It's why they haven't done it already and just spent their time talking here instead of acting there.

Why not?
Because taking action on their own would lead to their destruction, and they know it. It's why they haven't done it already and just spent their time talking here instead of acting there.
Taking action before iran goes nuclear is their only chance. One they are wiling to take.

Why not?

Do you really think that any of the other nuclear powers would allow Israel to nuke Iran?

Forum List

Back