Republican legislator slams Muhammad Ali

I don't really get the point of this thread. Ali DID dodge the draft. Sometimes the truth hurts, but it doesn't mean we should not speak it.

I personally don't think "dodging the draft" is particularly reflective of Ali's character. He more than made up for his mistake (if it was one) by becoming a hero to hundreds of millions of people. Oh, and let's not how this "draft dodger" endorsed Ronald Reagan for president in 1984. Another thing is that it's pretty childish to condemn a man because of his faith, even if he was a member of the Nation of Islam.

I can ignore his "racism" for all the good he did for this world. I also recall when Nelson Mandela died, this same stuff happening. It's pathetic to me. Really.

Last edited:
I don't really get the point of this thread. Ali DID dodge the draft. Sometimes the truth hurts, but it doesn't mean we should not speak it.

He didn't dodge the draft. He flat out told them he wasn't going.

I personally don't think "dodging the draft" is particularly reflective of Ali's character. He more than made up for his mistake (if it was one) by becoming a hero to hundreds of millions of people. Oh, and let's not how this "draft dodger" endorsed Ronald Reagan for president in 1984. Another thing is that it's pretty childish to condemn a man because of his faith, even if he was a member of the Nation of Islam.

I recall when Nelson Mandela died, this same stuff happening. It's pathetic to me. Really.

I wasn't condemning anyone at ALL. I spoke the truth though. Sorry you took it as me slamming him.

He didn't dodge the draft. He flat out told them he wasn't going.

:lol: Okay Okay...I call it draft dodging. So I used the wrong wording IYO? I am positive there were MANY MANY others that would have preferred not to go as well...........but they did.

I recall when Nelson Mandela died, this same stuff happening. It's pathetic to me. Really.

I wasn't condemning anyone at ALL. I spoke the truth though. Sorry you took it as me slamming him.

I wasn't addressing you directly, Kat. I'm sorry if you took it that way. :(

Oh. Well, now who has egg on their face? :redface::redface::redface::redface: (sorry)

Oh. Well, now who has egg on their face? :redface::redface::redface::redface: (sorry)

That's what happens when I start playing with my eggs before breakfast. I spend the rest of my day trying to get them off my face. But they do make a great exfoliant.

"Tennessee Republican" is practically a synonym for "shitty human being".

http://deadspin.com/whatever-you-sa...ource=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Its pretty much a given that the moment a popular figure dies, there will be some jerk somewhere.
It would be nice if people just acknowledged the man's/woman's passing without comment if you cannot say something comforting to the family and the mourners.

I cringe whenever a republican or conservative passes away because I know there will be some liberal nutjobs who will be out for blood. But then I'm almost always surprised at the discretion, class and dignity my fellow liberals exercise. When a liberal passes away, I'm never surprised by the amount of venom conserve-hate-ives spew; it's almost like they are involved in a contest.

http://deadspin.com/whatever-you-sa...ource=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

So this guy didn't want to go fight for a country that would turn his religion into the enemy? I wonder why.

Is it unpatriotic to go do the bidding of the rich, and fight their wars?

Think he converted when he knew he was going to be drafted. Hence where the term draft dodging came in to play.

It is also interesting how people criticize Trump's racism, but won't address Ali's or criticize Ali's but not Trump's. Am I living in an alternate universe?
Trump is not a racist. Don't let the left dictate your opinions.

Actually he is. He is not being characterized as a racist; he is a racist.
Please tell him to not change a thing... The best thing that could happen to HRC is to have Trump near an open microphone.

Its pretty much a given that the moment a popular figure dies, there will be some jerk somewhere.
It would be nice if people just acknowledged the man's/woman's passing without comment if you cannot say something comforting to the family and the mourners.

I cringe whenever a republican or conservative passes away because I know there will be some liberal nutjobs who will be out for blood. But then I'm almost always surprised at the discretion, class and dignity my fellow liberals exercise. When a liberal passes away, I'm never surprised by the amount of venom conserve-hate-ives spew; it's almost like they are involved in a contest.

Well of course!! :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back