Rep suggestion - Up Yours

Honestly, just the opposite...imho.

It's time USMB cuts the rep points in half, (or in quarter at this point) of everyone, as gunny used to do....every time it got to the point of long time members reaching about 1000 in rep points.

It's the only way to keep rep points in check and some kind of hope to new members of some day, being able to catch up.

Sure you cut the little newbie's rep points in half as well, going from 20 to 10 rep points still is less painful than going from 2000 to 1000 imo...but a necessary evil so that newbies have another incentive to become 'oldies but goodies' here at usmb as well....

I think if we leave the rep points the way they are, then this will be a site of the "Haves" and "haves not", class warfare indeed!

It's not time to give the long time members a way to get even more rep points, (or rep points within their circles) It's time to cut everybody's rep points in half or more so that newbies or quasi newbies have a "chance"...again, in my opinion....and in the best interest of the board.

Last edited:

It's time USMB cuts the rep points in half, (or in quarter at this point) of everyone, as gunny used to do....every time it got to the point of long time members reaching about 1000 in rep points.

It's the only way to keep rep points in check and some kind of hope to new members of some day, being able to catch up.

Sure you cut the little newbie's rep points in half as well, going from 20 to 10 rep points, still is less painful than going from 2000 to 1000 imo...but a necessary evil so that newbies have another incentive to become 'oldies but goodies' here at usmb as well....

I think if we leave the rep points the way they are, then this will be a site of the "Haves" and "haves not", class warfare indeed!

It's not time to give the long time members a way to get even more rep points, (or rep points within their circles) It's time to cut everybody's rep points in half or more so that newbies or quasi newbies have a "chance"...again, in my opinion....and in the best interest of the board.

The newbs have little chance of catching up at this point. You might be right here Care.

Perhaps when a poster gets to say, 2000 points they automatically get reset to maybe 3-400?

Also, on another board I frequent, all the Mods are given an outrageous amount of rep so they can neg some one back to the stone age in one swipe.

Let the member keep the old rep points (stats)and let everyone compete again to see who gets the most. And if it means that much then set a time limit to get there.

Sure you cut the little newbie's rep points in half as well, going from 20 to 10 rep points still is less painful than going from 2000 to 1000 imo...but a necessary evil so that newbies have another incentive to become 'oldies but goodies' here at usmb as well....

I can get behind that, as well. Personally? I would LOVE to see a board wipe. :) But as I understand it, people threw such tantrums that everything was reverted.

I asked for that at some point in time ... starting everybody at ground zero. However, I'm sure we'd all just continue our current repping habits, which probably flies in the face of the intended use of rep.

We should take a vote. :D

I'm hearing about 'rep circles' which I assume is some kind of mutual admiration society so the whole thing still seems pointless to me. I'm not keeping score (and yes I did have a look in at the 'get more rep' thread) I'm truly concerned about many issues here and this is the best place I've found to air them. The place is absolutely troll-free compared to where I've been and I like that.

wordproblems.jpg

Holy crap! I'm really bad at this. I thought the answer was maple because the pope shits in the woods.

Rep has grown exponentially out of control.

I think rep should be reduced by 90% and negs should be reduced to 25% of rep points.

There's to many rep rings going on also...

So, you shouldn't be allowed to rep the same member more than every 40th rep.
It's up from 10 to 12. That's reasonable, imho. No matter how perfect a system is developed, some will find a way around it. For people who play fair the present system works fairly well, except in my case, my poor health makes me lose getting to rep worthy people by taking me out early in so many ways. I'd do best under the old no-restrictions way. I don't think it's a good idea to rep the same person more than once a day, but some new posters need a boost until they catch onto granting rep to someone who's doing a good job out there with constant research online into current events. I often see one of these persons getting negatively reputation from those who pay zero attention to current events or do not even know the difference between political spin and an actual fact that will not go away with constant spins because it is so true.

I also believe that a lot more people at USMB use reputation to encourage backing up statements and negative rep to get someone's attention to stop being the north side of a horse goin' south.

:thup:

Just seems to me, if we are keeping score a lot of people who have been here a long time got their rep the hard way and to suddenly change the rules makes the whole thing. . .er. . .pointless.

I think everybody should stop counting the reputation points and focus on the true value of that person's reputation score, for that is where the truth lies, Many posters, newbies or not, with few posts, have very high rep values, just as you CandySlice, You are right now, at 9.39 reps to post ratio. And just look at how few posts you have made verses your reputation level that shows on the screen. Your rep VALUE is close to many here who have made tons of posts. You are actually higher in rep value, than many of them.

Newbies and others would feel much differently about rep, if they used the correct system to calculate their true rep value. All one has to do is grab a pocket calculator and divide their REPS INTO their POSTS, then move the decimal point over. If one becomes confused on that, then they can go to this website, to double-check:

Math.com Homework Help Hot Subject: Percents

Click on the 3-way percent calculator.

There are 3 options. Use the second one. Enter your rep amount shown on the USMB page, into the first field, then enter your posts amount and hit calculate! It will verify if you have moved the decimal point over the right amount of spaces on your pocket calculator.

I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised at how well they are doing. And that includes newbies. Maybe, instead of the site posting the reps of posters, it could post their true rep value, which is the reps to post ratio.

Terrible idea.

The rep system is already fascist enough with how it favors longevity, no need to make it moreso.

By the way Meister, can I get zero'd out again please?

Y'know, don't quote me but I'm pretty sure it doesn't factor in wearing a 'fuck me' avatar.

I was wondering who would use that one...lol. I wish I were surprised.

I suppose, then, that everyone with a sexy Avatar would be enjoying a high rep to post ratio??

Hey now, before I started wearing bikini's here, I was PMd by a poster who told me my rep value was 3 times higher than anyone's, so I think that negates any validity of your comment. And don't neglect to take into account, that 99% of the women on board stopped repping me. That was okay, for I wasn't in this for the reps. One loses all their power when they do or post anything for the approval of others...

My post of today, was just trying to make others with less reputation power feel more comfortable and less competitive. My intentions were honorable. That satisfies me.

Y'know, don't quote me but I'm pretty sure it doesn't factor in wearing a 'fuck me' avatar.

I suppose, then, that everyone with a sexy Avatar would be enjoying a high rep to post ratio??

Hey now, before I started wearing bikini's here, I was PMd by a poster who told me my rep value was 3 times higher than anyone's, so I think that negates any validity of your comment. And don't neglect to take into account, that 99% of the women on board stopped repping me. That was okay, for I wasn't in this for the reps. One loses all their power when they do or post anything for the approval of others...

My post of today, was just trying to make others with less reputation power feel more comfortable and less competitive. My intentions were honorable. That satisfies me.

No, I think it also helps if one flirts. :)

And no - it actually makes my point. You are rarely here, you rarely add much, but look at that rep!

No, I think it also helps if one flirts. :)

And no - it actually makes my point. You are rarely here, you rarely add much, but look at that rep!

No, I don't flirt. I speak no differently to married men here, than I do to women. Flirt??? :lmao:

And to your second point. I have stayed pretty steady, for the two years and 5 months I have been here. Six posts a day. Most comments I receive with reps, are from people who mention the worthiness of my posts.

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as WE are."-- Anais Nin

I can get behind that, as well. Personally? I would LOVE to see a board wipe. :) But as I understand it, people threw such tantrums that everything was reverted.

I asked for that at some point in time ... starting everybody at ground zero. However, I'm sure we'd all just continue our current repping habits, which probably flies in the face of the intended use of rep.

We should take a vote. :D

They don't respond to votes. :lol: It is a good idea though and we should pare those rep points down every so often.

Forum List

Back