Rep suggestion - Up Yours

Just seems to me, if we are keeping score a lot of people who have been here a long time got their rep the hard way and to suddenly change the rules makes the whole thing. . .er. . .pointless.

I think everybody should stop counting the reputation points and focus on the true value of that person's reputation score, for that is where the truth lies, Many posters, newbies or not, with few posts, have very high rep values, just as you CandySlice, You are right now, at 9.39 reps to post ratio. And just look at how few posts you have made verses your reputation level that shows on the screen. Your rep VALUE is close to many here who have made tons of posts. You are actually higher in rep value, than many of them.

Newbies and others would feel much differently about rep, if they used the correct system to calculate their true rep value. All one has to do is grab a pocket calculator and divide their REPS INTO their POSTS, then move the decimal point over. If one becomes confused on that, then they can go to this website, to double-check:

Math.com Homework Help Hot Subject: Percents

Click on the 3-way percent calculator.

There are 3 options. Use the second one. Enter your rep amount shown on the USMB page, into the first field, then enter your posts amount and hit calculate! It will verify if you have moved the decimal point over the right amount of spaces on your pocket calculator.

I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised at how well they are doing. And that includes newbies. Maybe, instead of the site posting the reps of posters, it could post their true rep value, which is the reps to post ratio.

You said 3-way.
smiliesnicker2.gif

Hey Aqua, save this for future use.;)

bikinibottom.jpg

Just seems to me, if we are keeping score a lot of people who have been here a long time got their rep the hard way and to suddenly change the rules makes the whole thing. . .er. . .pointless.

I think everybody should stop counting the reputation points and focus on the true value of that person's reputation score, for that is where the truth lies, Many posters, newbies or not, with few posts, have very high rep values, just as you CandySlice, You are right now, at 9.39 reps to post ratio. And just look at how few posts you have made verses your reputation level that shows on the screen. Your rep VALUE is close to many here who have made tons of posts. You are actually higher in rep value, than many of them.

Newbies and others would feel much differently about rep, if they used the correct system to calculate their true rep value. All one has to do is grab a pocket calculator and divide their REPS INTO their POSTS, then move the decimal point over. If one becomes confused on that, then they can go to this website, to double-check:

There are 3 options. Use the second one. Enter your rep amount shown on the USMB page, into the first field, then enter your posts amount and hit calculate! It will verify if you have moved the decimal point over the right amount of spaces on your pocket calculator.

I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised at how well they are doing. And that includes newbies. Maybe, instead of the site posting the reps of posters, it could post their true rep value, which is the reps to post ratio.

You said 3-way.
smiliesnicker2.gif

Hey Aqua, save this for future use.;)

bikinibottom.jpg

Thanks sweetheart! I do already have her though....:lol:

Y'know, don't quote me but I'm pretty sure it doesn't factor in wearing a 'fuck me' avatar.

I was wondering who would use that one...lol. I wish I were surprised.

I suppose, then, that everyone with a sexy Avatar would be enjoying a high rep to post ratio??

Hey now, before I started wearing bikini's here, I was PMd by a poster who told me my rep value was 3 times higher than anyone's, so I think that negates any validity of your comment. And don't neglect to take into account, that 99% of the women on board stopped repping me. That was okay, for I wasn't in this for the reps. One loses all their power when they do or post anything for the approval of others...

My post of today, was just trying to make others with less reputation power feel more comfortable and less competitive. My intentions were honorable. That satisfies me.

No, I think it also helps if one flirts. :)

And no - it actually makes my point. You are rarely here, you rarely add much, but look at that rep!

She is correct about post to rep value. She may be rarely and not post as much but she posts seriously thought out posts when she does..... thats what she gets repped for. And as far as i see... she does not flirt with anyone.

Look at your rep boop..... its silly of you to say look at her rep.

She is correct about post to rep value. She may be rarely and not post as much but she posts seriously thought out posts when she does..... thats what she gets repped for. And as far as i see... she does not flirt with anyone.

everyone's entitled to their opinion.

but i know every time i see a post that is beyond vapid, there's a 'thanks' from AA...

everyone's entitled to their opinion.

but i know every time i see a post that is beyond vapid, there's a 'thanks' from AA...

Well, when I see a post that includes the word troll, I think of you...:D

Thank you AA, you are very sweet, but that rep and $5.00 will get me a large half caf mocha latte.:D

Last edited:
Terrible idea.

The rep system is already fascist enough with how it favors longevity, no need to make it moreso.

By the way Meister, can I get zero'd out again please?

only took me less than 50 posts to figure that one out. what a corrupt system, ripe for abuse. a newbie doesn't have a chance. some woman named jillian or gilligan or something got angry and started throwing her weight around with her 3000 some odd ponts and dinged me out of the game just because i asked a question about a state's "right to exist." no vulgarity, no profanity, no aggro...just some very legitimate questions. LOL...i was so naive i thought she had given me 1635 + points. i didn't know what that little barely noticeble negative sign was supposed to signify. the really funny part though, was she had a sig line about using free speech...LOLOL. cracked me up.

anyway, i took my 2 points and negged some high people just to get back to zero and below. they did their bully trip...made some crude and vulgar homophobic remarks...the usual..."open you mouth" and "suck" no bigs really. fragile egos i suppose.

anyway, i knew a women on another, now defunct, board, where "thumbs down" signs were given and she was ganged up on so badly she was reduced to tears. i really didn't like this woman at all and disagreed with her totally on politics, but the way some people went after her just because they knew she was vulnerable to me just seemed cruel. i even tried to help her out but she was too destroyed.

so, it really would be nice if there was a way for posters to opt out of the "good ol' boys" rep club completely. i would have done it from the get go, these things have always been coesive and cliquish anyway...sort of cowardly too...have the cahones to confront a guy instead of just using your sneaky pete bully powers.

oh...and if you are going to give me rep points (i don't want them) on this, please give e neg ones. i don't want to have to go looking for big shots to have them retaliate against me so i can get back to less than zero.

later potaters.

Terrible idea.

The rep system is already fascist enough with how it favors longevity, no need to make it moreso.

By the way Meister, can I get zero'd out again please?

only took me less than 50 posts to figure that one out. what a corrupt system, ripe for abuse. a newbie doesn't have a chance. some woman named jillian or gilligan or something got angry and started throwing her weight around with her 3000 some odd ponts and dinged me out of the game just because i asked a question about a state's "right to exist." no vulgarity, no profanity, no aggro...just some very legitimate questions. LOL...i was so naive i thought she had given me 1635 + points. i didn't know what that little barely noticeble negative sign was supposed to signify. the really funny part though, was she had a sig line about using free speech...LOLOL. cracked me up.

anyway, i took my 2 points and negged some high people just to get back to zero and below. they did their bully trip...made some crude and vulgar homophobic remarks...the usual..."open you mouth" and "suck" no bigs really. fragile egos i suppose.

anyway, i knew a women on another, now defunct, board, where "thumbs down" signs were given and she was ganged up on so badly she was reduced to tears. i really didn't like this woman at all and disagreed with her totally on politics, but the way some people went after her just because they knew she was vulnerable to me just seemed cruel. i even tried to help her out but she was too destroyed.

so, it really would be nice if there was a way for posters to opt out of the "good ol' boys" rep club completely. i would have done it from the get go, these things have always been coesive and cliquish anyway...sort of cowardly too...have the cahones to confront a guy instead of just using your sneaky pete bully powers.

oh...and if you are going to give me rep points (i don't want them) on this, please give e neg ones. i don't want to have to go looking for big shots to have them retaliate against me so i can get back to less than zero.

later potaters.

This site also has a VERY satisfying ignore feature.

I used to regularly rep AA just for her avitars.

BDBoop sounds like a bitter, jealous old hag who never looked good even one day in her sad, lonly life.

Y'know, don't quote me but I'm pretty sure it doesn't factor in wearing a 'fuck me' avatar.

I think it's more, look, admire, don't touch. ;) Give it a rest BD. How many lines are you planning on drawing in the sand at once???

It's like you have contracted Fire-Aids or Sand-Aids. Are you trying to flame out?

I think it's more, look, admire, don't touch. ;) Give it a rest BD. How many lines are you planning on drawing in the sand at once???

It's like you have contracted Fire-Aids or Sand-Aids. Are you trying to flame out?

You quoted a nine day-old post.

Short answer? *YES*

I didn't know it was a contest.

i think it is a contest, to many people. i think it affects those also who don't think it is a contest. i've already said i don't like it but i know that eliminating it will never fly. i think though, that there is a way to provide some fairness that not only recognises those people with longevity but also doesn't leave the rookie hung out to dry at the whim of those with that longevity.

i think that the baseline for rep power to be moved from zero to perhaps 2000 or 3000, and that figure should be added to everyone's power and given to every rook. that way, someone with 4172 rep powers would zoop up too, say, 7172, providing them the deserved recognition as a senior member; that way also though, would also allow the rookie to have 3000 rep powers to start and not be left totally at the mercy of a senior member.

look at it this way, you folk are people too, senior members and moderators and admin peeps, and you can wake up in a crabby mood or be PO'd because the pet alligator you keep in the bath tub escaped and devoured your cat or your favourite pair of sneaks. then, in that foul mood, you can take some poor slob like me with ten doo dahs and throw him into a "to be ignored" category or worse for some completely innocuous post they made,.

also, i think the idea about half power for neg reps is a good one, but it should go further. i think a penalty of between 5% or 10% of the person;s rep power should be deducted for a negative rep assignation given to another poster. it will make them think twice about giving it and maybe also serve to sooth some savage bitchiness of those that giveth before they giveth...allow them time to think.

and i know this is going to be really popular. i think the above should apply as well to moderators and administrators, except they should lose 20% to 30% of their rep power. you people, people in your position, have much more influence on poster's than other people and when someone knows they are on your bad side, it has more impact than knowing that you are on some regular creepo's bad side.

and all you would have to do is have some freak geek alter the program you are running now.

p.s. thanks for your patience. excuse my long windedness, and i still think an opt out option is a good idea.

New Topics

Forum List

Back