Religion and Sex

Judaism is very sex friendly. Sex between a husband and wife is considered a mitzvot. Kaballah is even moreso on the subject, which is one of the reasons that traditional judaism eschews Kabbalah.

I'd say both Judaism and Christianity:

Why?: Just read the O.T. book of Songs of Solomon. It is the most romantic love letter written to a spouse that includes beautiful messages of love-making under the auspices of marriage, and the cherishing of the bride by the groom and vice versa.

Author: King Solomon

That's a beautiful poem. I was surprised to find it in the bible.

Is Christianity sex-positive or sex-negative? Which religion has the best take on the topic?

They are all equal IMO. Maybe Hinduism is the least repressive considering Kundalini yoga, but I don't know enough to have a real opinion. I think the attitude towards sex stems more from the culture than the religion in which a person was raised but when one religion becomes too powerful and repressive in a society, then you see more interest in underground kinky sex.

Is Christianity sex-positive or sex-negative? Which religion has the best take on the topic?

They are all equal IMO. Maybe Hinduism is the least repressive considering Kundalini yoga, but I don't know enough to have a real opinion. I think the attitude towards sex stems more from the culture than the religion in which a person was raised but when one religion becomes too powerful and repressive in a society, then you see more interest in underground kinky sex.

True, however I say Wiccan are far more sexually-positive (blech I don't like that term but meh) because many of their older rituals (which few currently follow) call for actual sex.

How is Christianity sex positive in marriage? I thought they are into sex for procreation. No kids, no sex.

You thought wrong.

Yep.....you definitely thought wrong.

Remember a few months back when the preacher in Florida (as well as a couple of other places) were telling their congregations to have sex?

I think it was in Austin that they were telling them to do it every day for a week.

Nope.....Christianity is pretty sex friendly. It's the fanatics that deny themselves that aren't.

Which brings up yet another question........why not have sex education in Sunday School for those 13 and over?

My church views marital sex as a gift from God and a reward for setting a good example and leading a Godly life....

It seems to me that all these religions have different standards of what is good sex for women and what is good for men. Some say women's heads must be covered because they are too beautiful, others say they must wear wigs and a man must not have sex with his wife till a certain nunber of days after the marriage and not when she is menstruating because women are essentially dirty and contaminated. Another expects women to live in polygamous marriages that are permitted to the men only.
When a church requires that men and women worship separately and that women can have no or very little roles in the clergy that's a clue that sex is going to be a different for the men than the women in that church.

In a Christian church, the covering of the head is a sign of respect to God, and a way to limit distraction.

Regarding the rigid codes for sexual relations within a marriage, that's not a Christian thing and thus is irrelevant to this thread.

Men and women worshipping separately is not typically a Christian thing. YOu may have men on one side and women on the other, but that's not to denigrate one side over the other. It's to limit distractions, as well. If you're sitting amongst a bunch of people of the same sex, you're more likely to actually listen to what's being said, and concentrate on your prayer.

With regards to clergy, if we're talking Christianity, the bible sets forth very specifically who may be members of the clergy, and gives good reasons why that is so. Nowhere in the bible does it propose that women aren't worthy enough to take up men's roles. It simply establishes the common sense between maintaining separate roles, and respecting them.

Last edited:
Those aren't Christian churches you're talking about.
The Catholic church isn't Christian? Here's a statement that will include yours. Any church that meddles in the private sexual affairs of consenting adults and insists their relationship be sanctioned or forbidden by their clergy is bound to have unhealthy sexual attitudes.

The Catholic church isn't Christian? Here's a statement that will include yours. Any church that meddles in the private sexual affairs of consenting adults and insists their relationship be sanctioned or forbidden by their clergy is bound to have unhealthy sexual attitudes.

And who determines who has healthy sexual attitudes?

What is healthy about promiscuity?

Those aren't Christian churches you're talking about.

So don't go to church. I think unhealthy is in the eye of the beholder. I think it's unhealthy to encourage a lifestyle which can result in disease, unwanted pregnancy, underage sex, abortion, abuse, etc. so on and so forth.

I prefer to encourage a lifestyle which is heavy on committment, common sense, decency, respect for others, and the ability to prioritize.

My church views marital sex as a gift from God and a reward for setting a good example and leading a Godly life....

So, if you get divorced, you are no longer in a marital relationship, and therefore not eligible for "gifts" as you call it, which means you're supposed to become celibate.

And....if it is for marital relations, which means men and women only, that would also indicate no masturbation either, so BOB the Battery Man is out of the picture also.

Also.......what happens if you sin, or set a bad example? Does this mean that your sexual priveledges are revoked?

And.....I'd still like to hear what people think about teaching sex education in Sunday School.

Well, marriage is supposed to be a lifelong committment. And no, you're not supposed to have sex outside of marriage. You can follow the natural progression, I think. That includes sex with yourself or the energizer bunny. The point is to have something, aside from children which while they bring joy also bring heartache, physical and mental anguish, and untold financial hardships...which is specific to marriage which makes it worth having.

What do you mean what happens "if" you sin? We all sin. If you set a bad example, I imagine people will be disgusted by you, and/or attempt to help you get back on the path. Nobody revokes sexual privileges (?) because nobody except God bestows them. YOu honestly don't believe the clergy comes into your home and says, "You got a divorce...NO MORE SEX FOR YOU!" and then sets up a watch over your home?

And sex ed doesn't take place in Sunday school. The only place "sex ed" as such needs to take place is in the home. That's the way it always has been. The family is in charge of "sex ed". Not the church, and not the school.

Forum List

Back