Religion and Sex

So far, what I'm hearing is the believers are ok with sex as long as it's married sex.

Well, it has its practical, logical advantages, I have to say. If you and your spouse observe a Biblical marriage, you have no concerns about STDs, paternity, alienation of affection, insecurity, hurt feelings . . .

Is Christianity sex-positive or sex-negative? Which religion has the best take on the topic?
I would say sex negative! I would have to go with kitten's answer on the postive end.
The whole thing about waiting until you are married just gets me, you are pretty much gambling on how enjoyable your sex life is going to be.

I'd say it would depend on the Christian sect, there are quite a few. From what I've read, the conservative/evangelical christians tend to be the most "sex-negative." IMO, they are oppressive and restrictive on their sex doctrines, especially those that clearly FORBID all forms of birth control.

There are also other religions that are adamantly "sex-negative," and are in fact clearly repressive. That is one of the many reasons I rejected the burdens of gods, religions and churches over two decades ago. Too many rules, many of which I considered to be cruel and oppressive. For me, freedom just makes life much better.

So far, what I'm hearing is the believers are ok with sex as long as it's married sex.

Well, it has its practical, logical advantages, I have to say. If you and your spouse observe a Biblical marriage, you have no concerns about STDs, paternity, alienation of affection, insecurity, hurt feelings . . .

And your "guarantee" of having "no concerns" about those negatives is....what, exactly? Especially the intangibles like alienation of affection, insecurity and hurt feelings? I see NO benefits to a biblical marriage, but thankfully it is up to EACH person to decide.

What's most amusing is that the fact that common law marriages practiced in accordance with Biblical precepts are effectively equivalent to modern domestic partnerships is entirely ignored by Christian fundamentalists.

My church views marital sex as a gift from God and a reward for setting a good example and leading a Godly life....

Thanks for pointing out one of the many reasons why I REJECTED the burdens of gods, religions and churches over two decades ago. No church gets to control my sexual choices or decisons on when or with whom to have it.

The Catholic church isn't Christian? Here's a statement that will include yours. Any church that meddles in the private sexual affairs of consenting adults and insists their relationship be sanctioned or forbidden by their clergy is bound to have unhealthy sexual attitudes.

And who determines who has healthy sexual attitudes? What is healthy about promiscuity?

"Promiscuity" is another subjective term, which has a wide variety of interpretations, depending on a church's policy or doctrine. Some may define promiscuous as any person who has had even ONE sexual relationship when not married. Others may define it in a completely different way. So who is "right?" It all comes back to "what I SAY is right," is which is ONE person's POV on the matter.

This constant debate about what is "right" for all people is precisely why I rejected the poison doctrines of gods, religions and churches over two decades ago. I enjoy having my OWN power to decide about what is right for me, not some god or church.

Well......considering that King David (you know....the dude that was close to God), as well as Solomon and Abraham had several wives, why is it that we all want to restrict things?

Additionally......if 2 people who are married, consent to an open marriage or swinging, is that adultery? Me? I think not.......it's more of a mutual consent thing, which isn't a sin.

And your "guarantee" of having "no concerns" about those negatives is....what, exactly? Especially the intangibles like alienation of affection, insecurity and hurt feelings? I see NO benefits to a biblical marriage, but thankfully it is up to EACH person to decide.

Life doesn't come with guarantees, sweetie. This isn't like buying a major appliance, where you get a warranty and a replacement if it breaks down. The best you can do is improve the odds, and the fact that you don't know that Biblical marriage does that just tells me that you don't know anyone who's doing it right. That's not conclusive evidence of anything but your need to choose better acquaintances.

Life doesn't come with guarantees, sweetie. This isn't like buying a major appliance, where you get a warranty and a replacement if it breaks down. The best you can do is improve the odds, and the fact that you don't know that Biblical marriage does that just tells me that you don't know anyone who's doing it right. That's not conclusive evidence of anything but your need to choose better acquaintances.

Marriage reduces the odds of hurt feelings and insecurity ?

BIBLICAL marriage does.

BIBLICAL marriage does.

so the religious part is where the improved odds come from ?

Is Christianity sex-positive or sex-negative?

Which religion has the best take on the topic?

This is a no brainer. Hindus. Kama sutra.

chrisitians and muslims are repressive about sex.

Vatsyayana would have been burned at the stake if he wrote that book in chrisitan europe.

I prefer the religions that have no views one way or the other on the subject.

Forum List

Back