Religion and Sex

In a Christian church, the covering of the head is a sign of respect to God, and a way to limit distraction.

Regarding the rigid codes for sexual relations within a marriage, that's not a Christian thing and thus is irrelevant to this thread.

Men and women worshipping separately is not typically a Christian thing. YOu may have men on one side and women on the other, but that's not to denigrate one side over the other. It's to limit distractions, as well. If you're sitting amongst a bunch of people of the same sex, you're more likely to actually listen to what's being said, and concentrate on your prayer.

With regards to clergy, if we're talking Christianity, the bible sets forth very specifically who may be members of the clergy, and gives good reasons why that is so. Nowhere in the bible does it propose that women aren't worthy enough to take up men's roles. It simply establishes the common sense between maintaining separate roles, and respecting them.

read much?

Is Christianity sex-positive or sex-negative? Which religion has the best take on the topic?

dope.

Okie dokie, del.

Any other completely nonsensical utterances you'd like to spit out?

Well, marriage is supposed to be a lifelong committment. And no, you're not supposed to have sex outside of marriage. You can follow the natural progression, I think. That includes sex with yourself or the energizer bunny. The point is to have something, aside from children which while they bring joy also bring heartache, physical and mental anguish, and untold financial hardships...which is specific to marriage which makes it worth having.

What do you mean what happens "if" you sin? We all sin. If you set a bad example, I imagine people will be disgusted by you, and/or attempt to help you get back on the path. Nobody revokes sexual privileges (?) because nobody except God bestows them. YOu honestly don't believe the clergy comes into your home and says, "You got a divorce...NO MORE SEX FOR YOU!" and then sets up a watch over your home?

And sex ed doesn't take place in Sunday school. The only place "sex ed" as such needs to take place is in the home. That's the way it always has been. The family is in charge of "sex ed". Not the church, and not the school.

You know, people have gotten this whole adultery thing way out of whack. Adultery isn't so much about boning your neighbor, as it is about taking the love that someone has given you (your mate), and taking that over to someone else secretly, and giving the love your spouse gave to you, to them. Sex isn't the only place this applies either. I've seen breakups happen because some woman was JUST TALKING to a friend who was male.

By the way, can you give me a Biblical reference where it says only 1 man/1 woman? I bet you can't.

And......if you think that sex ed shouldn't be taught in Sunday school, then tell your friends at the churches to stay the fuck out of secular school.

You know......if you look back over your life, and think about what it was when YOU were growing up, you'd be pretty grateful if you were allowed to get a sex ed class, wouldn't you? Me? I was scared shitless my first time, and I'm not too proud to admit it.

Would have helped if I'd read a text book or had a class first.

Er...not exactly. I simply speak to the part I know, which would be my religion, aka, "Christianity".

I know when the bashers get together I should just shut up and sit in a corner, but that's not me.

But go ahead with your spastic spittling, if you like.

Well, marriage is supposed to be a lifelong committment. And no, you're not supposed to have sex outside of marriage. You can follow the natural progression, I think. That includes sex with yourself or the energizer bunny. The point is to have something, aside from children which while they bring joy also bring heartache, physical and mental anguish, and untold financial hardships...which is specific to marriage which makes it worth having.

What do you mean what happens "if" you sin? We all sin. If you set a bad example, I imagine people will be disgusted by you, and/or attempt to help you get back on the path. Nobody revokes sexual privileges (?) because nobody except God bestows them. YOu honestly don't believe the clergy comes into your home and says, "You got a divorce...NO MORE SEX FOR YOU!" and then sets up a watch over your home?

And sex ed doesn't take place in Sunday school. The only place "sex ed" as such needs to take place is in the home. That's the way it always has been. The family is in charge of "sex ed". Not the church, and not the school.
By the way, can you give me a Biblical reference where it says only 1 man/1 woman? I bet you can't.
1 Timothy 3:2

You know, people have gotten this whole adultery thing way out of whack. Adultery isn't so much about boning your neighbor, as it is about taking the love that someone has given you (your mate), and taking that over to someone else secretly, and giving the love your spouse gave to you, to them. Sex isn't the only place this applies either. I've seen breakups happen because some woman was JUST TALKING to a friend who was male.

And......if you think that sex ed shouldn't be taught in Sunday school, then tell your friends at the churches to stay the fuck out of secular school.

You know......if you look back over your life, and think about what it was when YOU were growing up, you'd be pretty grateful if you were allowed to get a sex ed class, wouldn't you? Me? I was scared shitless my first time, and I'm not too proud to admit it.

"Fornication" is just straight out having sex with another person who isn't married...to you or anyone else.

"Adultery" is having sex when you or the other (or both) are married.

Adultery is bad any way you cut it.

I had sex ed in school, after the fashion of the day (70s and 80s). All it did was teach me that it's okay for everyone to have sex whenever they feel like it.

And I believe that in the NT there is a passage about marriage being one man and one woman. I'll see if that's so, and if I can find it.

By the way Allie.......you're divorced, aren't you?

How's the celibacy vow going?

It's going just fine, thanks.

My kids and I pile into my bed every night to read, watch movies and eat in my bed. It beats sex all to hell.

Last edited:
My whole take on it:

As long as no one expects us to live by one religions ideas on sex, have at it. I wouldn't want the old Wiccan ideas forced any more than many of the christian ones. Sorry, but I don't like sex myself and both would force it on me if they had the chance, just in different ways. Almost all religions cover the topic in some way, and their views will always differ.

As for sex on its own ... if you enjoy it, go do it (without me) just be safe and don't fall into the livestock trap. If you don't great, let's go get coffee and chat about the weather.

Precisely:

2A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

In a Christian church, the covering of the head is a sign of respect to God, and a way to limit distraction...With regards to clergy, if we're talking Christianity, the bible sets forth very specifically who may be members of the clergy, and gives good reasons why that is so. Nowhere in the bible does it propose that women aren't worthy enough to take up men's roles. It simply establishes the common sense between maintaining separate roles, and respecting them.

Several problems with this claim:

Firstly, primary support would seem to be found in the First Epistle of Timothy, specifically 1 Timothy 2:11-15.

Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control.

But the problem with that is that the Pastoral Epistles of 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy and Titus are not regarded as having been legitimate Pauline letters. The arguments against the authorship of these books by Paul are accepted by the majority of modern textual critics, and include the facts that the vocabulary of the epistles contain many words and phrases seen nowhere else in Paul’s writing, or indeed, anywhere else in the New Testament, that the false teachings described by the epistles are developed forms of second-century Gnosticism, or other schools of Christianity that competed with the school that we are familiar with today, that the church organizational structure described therein is far too developed for Paul’s era, and similarly seems to parallel the Gnosticism of the second century, and that the chronological framework of Paul’s life in the book of Acts does not match up with many of the historical references made by the author of the Pastoral Epistles. Hence...you come up short there.

Your other source might be 1 Corinthians 14:34-35.

For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints. Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church. Or did the word of God come originally from you? Or was it you only that it reached?

But the problem with verses 34 and 35 are that several important textual witnesses place these verses after verse 40 rather than verse 33, which indicates that these verses may have originated as a scribal marginal note (or a deliberate alteration with the text) rather than an original part of the epistle. Moreover, verses 34 and 35 do not seem to be contextually related to the verses that surround them. If they were removed from the passage, verse 33 would flow well into verse 36, but verses 34 and 35 create an awkward interruption similar to that of Luke 7:53-8:11. Perhaps most importantly, verses 34 and 35 seem to conflict with statements made earlier in chapter 11.

Precisely:

2A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

As previously mentioned, 1 Timothy 3:2 is within the Epistle of Timothy, which is not regarded as having been written by Paul.

Sex is great:woohoo:, you can't have too much of it.Ah yes:rolleyes:. There are no rules;). Not to say that I would do it too weird:omg: or use wild toys :whip:or anything. Just make the rules with your spouse I say:udaman:.

Last edited:
So far, what I'm hearing is the believers are ok with sex as long as it's married sex.

"Fornication" is just straight out having sex with another person who isn't married...to you or anyone else.

"Adultery" is having sex when you or the other (or both) are married.

Adultery is bad any way you cut it.

I had sex ed in school, after the fashion of the day (70s and 80s). All it did was teach me that it's okay for everyone to have sex whenever they feel like it.

And I believe that in the NT there is a passage about marriage being one man and one woman. I'll see if that's so, and if I can find it.

Let me help you out, Allie.

1 Corinthians 7

1Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good for a man not to marry. 2But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband.3The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.4The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife.5Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self–control.6

Everyone please note that it does not say, "Each man should have his own wives", or "Each man should have his own husband". Y'got one of each.

Forum List

Back