The allegory of the cave

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Truthmatters, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Plato, "The Allegory of the Cave"

[Socrates] And now, I said, let me show in a figure how far our nature is enlightened or unenlightened: --Behold! human beings living in a underground cave, which has a mouth open towards the light and reaching all along the cave; here they have been from their childhood, and have their legs and necks chained so that they cannot move, and can only see before them, being prevented by the chains from turning round their heads. Above and behind them a fire is blazing at a distance, and between the fire and the prisoners there is a raised way; and you will see, if you look, a low wall built along the way, like the screen which marionette players have in front of them, over which they show the puppets.

[Socrates] And do you see, I said, men passing along the wall carrying all sorts of vessels, and statues and figures of animals made of wood and stone and various materials, which appear over the wall? Some of them are talking, others silent.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
  3. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
  4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    How appropo.

Much of what our econ genuses think of as economic indicators have been in fact but the shadows of the reality.

You want REAL economic indicators, forget the Wall street, look at Main street.

That is the REAL economy, folks.

And Main Street hasn't looked all that good in many years.

Now if you live on Rodeo drive, your impression might be otherwise, but Beverly Hills's streets are not quite so far from the mean streets in WATTS as some of you believe them to be.

You who are still well off are much much much more dependent on civil society than most of you seem to think you are.

You depend, whether you know it or not, on the goodwill of the people for whom some of you have expressed utter comtempt.

You'd all best pray to your god MAMMON, that your "I got mine, get yours" attitude does NOT become the philosophy of those for whom you have dismissed as powerless.

Poor people have guns, too, folks.

5. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Its about having your eyes opened to reality and truth after having been narrowed by your known world ( parents, circumstances, education, society, country, culture, surroundings, party) How it makes you feel and how others react to your new insights.

Its about accepting knowledge and truth and how that road changes your life and is even painful (for some too painful).

6. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    This is basically philosophy 101.

I was hoping to maybe get a little bit of a dialouge about what people thought of enlightenment removed from any religious connotation.

7. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Too much thinkin about the outside of the cave I guess?

8. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Here you go Gunny

9. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Socrates] And if there were a contest, and he had to compete in measuring the shadows with the prisoners who had never moved out of the cave, while his sight was still weak, and before his eyes had become steady (and the time which would be needed to acquire this new habit of sight might be very considerable) would he not be ridiculous? Men would say of him that up he went and down he came without his eyes; and that it was better not even to think of ascending; and if any one tried to loose another and lead him up to the light, let them only catch the offender, and they would put him to death.

10. foggedinn

foggedinn VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Personally, I've always found the writings of Plato to be incredibly boring. All intellect, no passion.

I was taught a much better cave story by my teacher in the Methodist Tradition 49 years ago as a child in the church.

Speak the truth; how many angels can dance upon the head of a pin?