Reid Has Taken The First Shot

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, May 19, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I get a feeling this is going to get ugly. I hope Frist can make it clear that the GOP didn't start the nuclear option. There is going to be a huge backlash to this:

http://frist.senate.gov/index.cfm?F...Detail&PressRelease_id=1942&Month=5&Year=2005

2. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    I hope you're right, Kathianne. The people should get up in arms over these shenanigans, but will they? If as many people wrote their reps in Washington as watch "American Idol" in a single week, I'll bet we would see major changes in the way elected people in Washington behave.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    The shutting down of the government is serious. How much so? Ask Newt Gingrich, who overplayed his hand back when.

The dems threaten to do that.
    The GOP threatens to kill filibusters.

The GOP has to make it clear they didn't take the first shot.

4. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    how is it that frist didn't fire the first shot?

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Frist has not called for a vote to change the rules. Reid IS shutting down committees, stopping business from being done. Threat is NOT action.

6. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    seeing how this is information pulled off of frists website itself, I'll just chalk it up to more rhetoric and spin. thanks though.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I figured what the heck, the LA Times should be liberal enough for ya:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...19may19,0,662640.story?coll=la-home-headlines

8. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Yes, shutting down the government is serious business, and there should be a big backlash from the public, as you indicated, Kathianne, but will there be? Or will people just accept it as business as usual? This tug of war between the Democrats and Republicans will continue until the people make it CRYSTAL CLEAR that they want it stopped. It remains to be seen if the voters are interested enough to do that.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

If it causes them to notice, yes. Again, remember when the Republicans did it.

10. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    My wife expressed her opinion on this matter. She believes it is two groups of children throwing the "not-me!" option around after one side takes their ball and goes home. And one side is standing there with only a bat...

Their parents ask them what happened, who caused them to get angry and every kid involved says, "Not me!"

She is mostly upset that the Senate is acting like children than she is that the Government has shut down. Of course, she is largely Libertarian like I and having a Government not invading more of my personal territory is a good thing. While they're deadlocked and acting like children they aren't making any more laws about nose hair trimming and perfume wearing and we can generally get along without them pretty well.