Reduce Big Government

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
I'm watching Sen Rand Paul being interviewed on FoxNews right now and he, along with other GOP candidates are talking about reducing the size of the federal government. One is to do away with the Department of Education and return those functions to the states. Another is reducing corporate taxes so they will return jobs to here.

But, there is something nobody is talking about. What do you do with all of those government employees protected by Civil Service laws and regulations when you remove their jobs?

Hunh?

Yeah, what're you gonna do with them? You can't just fire them. You can't even “force
them to retire. You gotta find them similar and equal jobs. Where?

I'd love to see some candidates give us an answer to that.

Just quit hiring new lazy worthless freeloaders when the old lazy worthless freeloaders retire.

"Reduce Big Government"

What constitutes 'big government' must first be defined.

figures and leave your thoughts in the comments section below:

Federal Government Employment Levels Through the Years (including the U.S. Postal Service)
Executive Branch civilians Total U.S. population Executive Branch employees per 1,000 population
1962 (Kennedy)
2.48 million 186.5 million 13.3
1964 (Johnson) 2.47 million 191.8 million 12.9
1970 (Nixon) 2.94 million* 205 million 14.4
1975 (Ford) 2.84 million 215.9 million 13.2
1978 (Carter) 2.87 million 222.5 million 12.9
1982 (Reagan) 2.77 million 232.1 million 11.9
1990 (Bush) 3.06 million* 249.6 million 12.3
1994 (Clinton) 2.9 million 263.1 million 11.1
2002 (Bush) 2.63 million 287.8 million 9.1
2010 (Obama) 2.65 million+ 310.3 million+ 8.4+

Of course, it's 5 years old

If the economy is revitalized then they should be absorbed into the private sector workforce.

I'm watching Sen Rand Paul being interviewed on FoxNews right now and he, along with other GOP candidates are talking about reducing the size of the federal government. One is to do away with the Department of Education and return those functions to the states. Another is reducing corporate taxes so they will return jobs to here.

But, there is something nobody is talking about. What do you do with all of those government employees protected by Civil Service laws and regulations when you remove their jobs?

Hunh?

Yeah, what're you gonna do with them? You can't just fire them. You can't even “force
them to retire. You gotta find them similar and equal jobs. Where?

I'd love to see some candidates give us an answer to that.

Well, I'm not a candidate but here goes:

Those federal employees that are of retirement age, you offer a buy-out to entice them to retire.
Those that are ineligible to retire, you give the severance pay and send them home. Yes, they can remain on the books with re-employment preference but that is no guarantee of a job.

Forum List

Back