Reasons for Homeschooling.

Lets be honest with ourselves shall we?

Most parents don't homeschool because they can do a better job teaching Calculus. They are afraid that Junior might have to read a book they don't agree with, they want Junior to spend his day reading the Bible and god forbid, they don't want Junior to go to that school down the street that is 60% black and hispanic

"...Not giving your child a superior education..."

Gee, you know how I hate to keep proving you to be incorrect....but:

Standardized test results for 16,000 home educated children, grades K-12, were analyzed in 1994 by researcher Dr. Brian Ray. He found the nationwide grand mean in reading for homeschoolers was at the 79th percentile; for language and math, the 73rd percentile. This ranking means home-educated students performed better than approximately 77% of the sample population on whom the test was normed. Nearly 80% of homeschooled children achieved individual scores above the national average and 54.7% of the 16,000 homeschoolers achieved individual scores in the top quarter of the population, more than double the number of conventional school students who score in the top quarter.

A Harvard University (MA) admissions officer said most of their home-educated students "have done very well. They usually are very motivated in what they do." Results of the SAT and SAT II, an essay, an interview, and a letter of recommendation are the main requirements for home-educated applicants. "[Transcripts are] irrelevant because a transcript is basically a comparison to other students in the school."
HSLDA | Homeschooled Students Excel in College

Recent statistics from The College Board and the American College Testing Program (ACT) indicate that home schoolers are exceeding the national average test scores on both the SAT and the ACT college entrance exams. In 1999, the 2219 students who identified themselves as home schooled students on the SAT test, scored an average of 1083 (verbal 548, math 535), 67 points above the national average of 1016. A perfect SAT score is 1600. Also in 1999, 3616 home school students taking the ACT scored an average of 22.7, compared to the national average of 21, a perfect score being 36.
College-bound Home Schoolers Make Headlines (HSLDA | National Center News)

The facts will certainly change your perspective.....

...won't they?

The key with looking at statistics is not what they tell you but what they do not tell you. All of these Homeschool studies make the same basic mistake. Namely, assuming that the population of homeschool kids is the same as the population of public school kids. They are not

So the question to be asked is not "Do homeschool kids do better than public school kids?" but "Do Homeschool kids perform better than they would have in public school?"

I stick by my assertion as to the motivations behind home schooling. Restricting contradictory teachings, religion and protecting your child from an "element" that you don't want them exposed to

Gee....some folks will go to extremes to forego admitting that they are wrong.

So....""Do Homeschool kids perform better than they would have in public school?"
means that you'd rely on some imaginary standard versus actual test results.

Go figure.

And you contend that homeschooling parents "Restricting contradictory teachings, religion and protecting your child from an "element" that you don't want them exposed to."?

Sure seem to represent intelligent planning.

I guess you endorse the opposite, huh?

Standardized test results for 16,000 home educated children, grades K-12, were analyzed in 1994 by researcher Dr. Brian Ray. He found the nationwide grand mean in reading for homeschoolers was at the 79th percentile; for language and math, the 73rd percentile. This ranking means home-educated students performed better than approximately 77% of the sample population on whom the test was normed. Nearly 80% of homeschooled children achieved individual scores above the national average and 54.7% of the 16,000 homeschoolers achieved individual scores in the top quarter of the population, more than double the number of conventional school students who score in the top quarter.

A Harvard University (MA) admissions officer said most of their home-educated students "have done very well. They usually are very motivated in what they do." Results of the SAT and SAT II, an essay, an interview, and a letter of recommendation are the main requirements for home-educated applicants. "[Transcripts are] irrelevant because a transcript is basically a comparison to other students in the school."

Recent statistics from The College Board and the American College Testing Program (ACT) indicate that home schoolers are exceeding the national average test scores on both the SAT and the ACT college entrance exams. In 1999, the 2219 students who identified themselves as home schooled students on the SAT test, scored an average of 1083 (verbal 548, math 535), 67 points above the national average of 1016. A perfect SAT score is 1600. Also in 1999, 3616 home school students taking the ACT scored an average of 22.7, compared to the national average of 21, a perfect score being 36.

...won't they?

The key with looking at statistics is not what they tell you but what they do not tell you. All of these Homeschool studies make the same basic mistake. Namely, assuming that the population of homeschool kids is the same as the population of public school kids. They are not

So the question to be asked is not "Do homeschool kids do better than public school kids?" but "Do Homeschool kids perform better than they would have in public school?"

I stick by my assertion as to the motivations behind home schooling. Restricting contradictory teachings, religion and protecting your child from an "element" that you don't want them exposed to

So....""Do Homeschool kids perform better than they would have in public school?"

Go figure.

And you contend that homeschooling parents "Restricting contradictory teachings, religion and protecting your child from an "element" that you don't want them exposed to."?

Failure once again on your part

The key measure of success in any educational evaluation is not "Are you better than average?" but "Are you better than you were before?"

There is no evidence that homeschool kids do better than they would do in a public school

Folks in our East Texas school districts home schooled for various reasons: (1) they wanted better education for their children, or (2) they wanted to exclude "liberal" philosophies, or (3) they want to indoctrinate parochial or insular or familial doctrines without competition, or (4) they were lazy and did not want to worry about getting kids to schools and grades at etc, (5) or they wanted to put the children to work in family businesses, and or (6) a combination of the above.

America would be a bunch of dirt farmers without an educated workforce. In terms of centralized authority, most schools in the world function from a centralized authority and perform much better than the US with it's hodge podge of independent school districts

Most countries in the world are nothing like the USA.

However, there is ONLY ONE STATE that has a centralized school system.

Hawaii.

:razz:

Huffpo ranks it 37th in the nation "below average"

Sample of one....how scientific

Vs your sample of ........none.

I suppose you can run, but you cannot hide from the fact that the only state within the USA that has a STATE RUN public school system should fail so miserably.

Centralized school districts publicly funded from city, country, regional, etc., have produced amazingly well-educated American for more than 100 years.

I will consider public vouchers if schools who receive them cannot turn away any student that financially qualifies. Period.

Lets be honest with ourselves shall we?

Most parents don't homeschool because they can do a better job teaching Calculus. They are afraid that Junior might have to read a book they don't agree with, they want Junior to spend his day reading the Bible and god forbid, they don't want Junior to go to that school down the street that is 60% black and hispanic

...won't they?

And you would be pretty much dead wrong on many counts. Of course, those would be the reasons you might give for homeschooling your children, no doubt.
I home schooled my daughter because after sitting through a few of her classes, I noticed that the teachers were pretty much strapped dealing with the lowest bastards in the class while the rest of the students were left pretty much to their own devices. The decent kids were learning on their own anyway. My daughter and I were both much happier with the home school arrangement. She actually got an education. She never felt cut off or isolated, as a matter of fact, she had a lot more time to do things she enjoyed.
But you go ahead with your ignorant, uninformed, and narrow-minded assertions. Far be it from anyone else to dissuade you in your ignorance.

Folks in our East Texas school districts home schooled for various reasons: (1) they wanted better education for their children, or (2) they wanted to exclude "liberal" philosophies, or (3) they want to indoctrinate parochial or insular or familial doctrines without competition, or (4) they were lazy and did not want to worry about getting kids to schools and grades at etc, (5) or they wanted to put the children to work in family businesses, and or (6) a combination of the above.

You forgot (7) they don't want their kids going to school with blacks and hispanics

Most countries in the world are nothing like the USA.

However, there is ONLY ONE STATE that has a centralized school system.

Hawaii.

:razz:

Huffpo ranks it 37th in the nation "below average"

Sample of one....how scientific

Vs your sample of ........none.

I suppose you can run, but you cannot hide from the fact that the only state within the USA that has a STATE RUN public school system should fail so miserably.

Much larger sample than one

US 17th In Global Education Ranking; Finland, South Korea Claim Top Spots

You forgot (7) they don't want their kids going to school with blacks and hispanics

Not so much in ET as they do in Mississippi. (7) has nearly broken the school systems in Mississippi.

Even if your child goes to public school, any good parent still partially homeschools their child. Sometimes by correcting things they learn from the public school system. Or most of the time filling the gap of inadequate teaching.

One of my children came home from school and asked me a question about his homework. The info in the handout was so outrageously false I sat down and explained the truth. He completed it with the information I gave him - and the teacher failed him for not following the lesson.

I made an appointment to meet the teacher and suffered through the most ridiculous liberal rant I've ever heard.

The result? He got totally disgusted with school and dropped out. He later - easily - earned his GED.

The fact is that the teachers are why the students do as well as they do.

The parents in America have received the failing grade, not the teachers.

That may be true but does not mean in and of itself they are prepared for life outside of their homes.

Go figure.

Failure once again on your part

The key measure of success in any educational evaluation is not "Are you better than average?" but "Are you better than you were before?"

There is no evidence that homeschool kids do better than they would do in a public school

Your post is an example of one who is deathly afraid of reality.

The fact is that the teachers are why the students do as well as they do.

The parents in America have received the failing grade, not the teachers.

This is incorrect.

The failure of the American education system is due to the Liberal educrats who have taken control of same.

1. The documents that memorialized what America was meant to be are the Declaration, and the Constitution. The language therein is neither casual, nor random. They speak of “one people,” and “We the people.”

a. American is identified by the “American Trinity” of “Liberty,” “In God We Trust,” and “E Pluribus Unum.” Liberty refers to personal freedom, based on small government , a free economy, and a God-based society. ,” “In God We Trust,” proceeds from the moral values axiomatic with the Founders. “E Pluribus Unum.” refers to a society based on neither ethnicity nor race.
Prager, “Still The Best Hope,” chapter one.

2. The attack on America by the Leftist ‘fifth column’ has been neither abrupt nor obvious. Rather, it has been slow, imperceptible, and unctuous. But it has been successful. Professor James Banks, major textbook author and prime mover in the development of the development of the National Council for the Social Studies guidelines on multicultural education, “To create an authentic, democratic unum (one) with moral authority and perceived legitimacy, the pluribus (diverse peoples) must negotiate and share power.” Educational Leadership:Educating for Diversity:Transforming the Mainstream Curriculum

3. Focus, and be very clear: the notion of the “peoples” of the United States is a counterpatriotic ideological weapon aimed to subordinate the ‘unum’ to the ‘pluribus.’ Too subtle, too nuanced for some….it is what is known as “rhetorical subversion.”

a. Earlier American presidents, Republicans and Democrats alike, agreed on two basic goals: teach the newcomers English and make them Americans. The clear aim was to strengthen our national identity--to reinforce the unum in e pluribus unum--by assimilating the new arrivals into American civilization.
Anti-Americanization - Society and Culture - AEI

Today we see the deleterious effect of folks, like some in this thread, who will not allow minorities to be part of one, united, America.

They will never miss an opportunity to single out and name individual sub-groups.

That may be true but does not mean in and of itself they are prepared for life outside of their homes.

It certainly doesn't mean the reverse.

I agree. The teachers and the parents, in any schooling situation, are the ones who make sure the children are prepared. Our parents have to pick up the slack.

Home schooling has its place, and I witnessed hundreds of parents do well, some exceptionally well. Where parents are involved and teachers supported by them, the students do better.

home schooled kids are a self selected group. the confidence and competence needed by the parents would imply that the children would be superior students anyways so comparison to the average probably does not mean very much. elementary grades only teach basic reading and math, and then expose the child to 'reading to learn' as opposed to 'learning to read'. I would be concerned with trying to facilitate high school honours courses as a parent even though there is available online help. the other problem is lack of exposure to different styles of teaching. in sports there is definitely a drop off in improvement with the same coach year after year, I would imagine education would have the same drawback.

Forum List

Back