IF Kids don't learn math in first grade...

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
Studies are showing that kids that don't master elementary math skills in the first grade are unlikely to do well in higher grades. I've seen this in my own kids. If they are really behind in math by the time they reach 3rd grade, they're not likely to ever catch up. Seeing the lack of attention my grandson's 1st grade teacher is giving to math, I really wonder if we are devoting enough of our resources to early math education.

First Grade Math Can Shape Children?s Overall Math Abilities : Experts : Counsel & Heal

Last edited:
What's most important regarding math is what parents teach before 1st grade. Counting is the obvious one, especially with manipulativez. So are quantities, 1 cookie or 2? Share that 'big' cookie. Teaching basic addition, division, and subtraction is normal in the preschool years, not multiplication in a real sense.

Games like Uno help too, for quick recognition of numbers and strategy. Playing checkers and chess, along with other board games help also. Seriously flash cards and such aren't necessary before first grade, unless the child just 'loves' memory games. I.e. Such as the game, "Memory." LOL!

By the end of first grade though, your child should be able to add double digits without 'carrying' and single digits with carrying. Same with subtraction. The problem is that the current textbooks aren't giving adequate practice and they interrupt the lessons and practice with algebra and geometry 'lessons' thrown in.

This may work well for 'gifted' kids in math, but tends to throw off the average kid.

The same sort of home experience and school continues in 2nd and 3rd grades. Parents that regularly allow their children to have chores such as setting the table and gathering the correct number of plates, glasses, forks, spoons, etc. Are reinforcing lessons.

Letting your child make purchases at the store, letting cashier know to tell them the amount of purchase, the money tendered, then counting back the change gives the child an idea of abstract. Ask a 5 year old if they want 5 pennies or a dime, they will pick the 5 pennies. A child that is familiar with the symbolism of money will take the dime. By second grade, few would choose wrong.

Measurements are important, no better way to familiarize them then by letting them help cook.

Setting up Spring garden? Let them help with the mapping, then the actual laying out. String and wood pegs necessary.

By the end of second grade or beginning of third, let them work out the price per pound or price per item.

Studies are showing that kids that don't master elementary math skills in the first grade are unlikely to do well in higher grades. I've seen this in my own kids. If they are really behind in math by the time they reach 3rd grade, they're not likely to ever catch up. Seeing the lack of attention my grandson's 1st grade teacher is giving to math, I really wonder if we are devoting enough of our resources to early math education.

First Grade Math Can Shape Children?s Overall Math Abilities : Experts : Counsel & Heal

Bottom line is you have to home school your kids even if they are enrolled and go to class every day.

If you're counting on a public school to teach your kids math, then you've already lost the game. You have to take matters into your own hands and teach them yourself. I taught my stepson to add, subtract, multiply and divide before he finished the first grade. We used to play games in the car where I would ask him how much various combinations of coins added up to. Teachers in government schools simply don't care if your kid learns.

Bottom line is you have to home school your kids even if they are enrolled and go to class every day.

Agreed. Public schools are little more than glorified babysitting services.

If you're counting on a public school to teach your kids math, then you've already lost the game. You have to take matters into your own hands and teach them yourself. I taught my stepson to add, subtract, multiply and divide before he finished the first grade. We used to play games in the car where I would ask him how much various combinations of coins added up to. Teachers in government schools simply don't care if your kid learns.

Many do. The administration ties their hands,

It amazes me how many young adults have difficulty reading an analog clock. When I was teaching first grade, I knew a lot of my students had mostly digital clocks in their homes, so we made it a point to talk about time throughout the day and for the entire year. Now I'm a corporate sales trainer, and today I had a class and dismissed them for break and told them to return at quarter til...this one young lady said, "What does that mean?":eusa_eh: My response was, "Who was your first grade teacher?":lol: Then I patiently educated the poor thing.;)

It amazes me how many young adults have difficulty reading an analog clock. When I was teaching first grade, I knew a lot of my students had mostly digital clocks in their homes, so we made it a point to talk about time throughout the day and for the entire year. Now I'm a corporate sales trainer, and today I had a class and dismissed them for break and told them to return at quarter til...this one young lady said, "What does that mean?":eusa_eh: My response was, "Who was your first grade teacher?":lol: Then I patiently educated the poor thing.;)

The analog vs digital clock is an interesting point. When I was young, I had an uncle that asked me if I was more analog or digital and he used the clock as a reference point.
I am more analog when it comes to time.

I don't look at my watch to see what time it is, I look at the clock to see what time it isn't.

Some of you are not understanding that statement. But, suppose I have an appointment at 3:00. I don't look at the clock to see if it is 3:00, I look at the clock to see how much time I have left until I have to be at my 3:00 appoint. As analog oriented I can look at the watch and see that i have 10 minutes until my appointment. I'm looking at what time it isn't, not what time it is.

Now, my uncle was was more digital when it came to time. You ever see those space launches? They counted down the time, 10....9.......8....7.....etc. Digital. My uncle was one of those guys in that room in Houston. They were focused on what time it was, thus the countdown, not what time it wasn't.

Most of us look at our watches and clocks to see how much time we have left until the next event.

What's most important regarding math is what parents teach before 1st grade. Counting is the obvious one, especially with manipulativez. So are quantities, 1 cookie or 2? Share that 'big' cookie. Teaching basic addition, division, and subtraction is normal in the preschool years, not multiplication in a real sense.

Games like Uno help too, for quick recognition of numbers and strategy. Playing checkers and chess, along with other board games help also. Seriously flash cards and such aren't necessary before first grade, unless the child just 'loves' memory games. I.e. Such as the game, "Memory." LOL!

By the end of first grade though, your child should be able to add double digits without 'carrying' and single digits with carrying. Same with subtraction. The problem is that the current textbooks aren't giving adequate practice and they interrupt the lessons and practice with algebra and geometry 'lessons' thrown in.

This may work well for 'gifted' kids in math, but tends to throw off the average kid.

The same sort of home experience and school continues in 2nd and 3rd grades. Parents that regularly allow their children to have chores such as setting the table and gathering the correct number of plates, glasses, forks, spoons, etc. Are reinforcing lessons.

Letting your child make purchases at the store, letting cashier know to tell them the amount of purchase, the money tendered, then counting back the change gives the child an idea of abstract. Ask a 5 year old if they want 5 pennies or a dime, they will pick the 5 pennies. A child that is familiar with the symbolism of money will take the dime. By second grade, few would choose wrong.

Measurements are important, no better way to familiarize them then by letting them help cook.

Setting up Spring garden? Let them help with the mapping, then the actual laying out. String and wood pegs necessary.

By the end of second grade or beginning of third, let them work out the price per pound or price per item.
My daughter did just what you suggested, integrated what the kids learned at school into activities at home. But she was lucky to be able to stay at home when the kids were young. Today nearly 70% of the moms are working outside the home. I honestly don't know how they do it. The work place has changed so much. Employers expect a minimum of 40 hours work a week. When mom and dad get home, assuming there is a dad, it's often all they can do to fix the meals, supervise the kids homework and get them to bed.

The analog vs digital clock is an interesting point. When I was young, I had an uncle that asked me if I was more analog or digital and he used the clock as a reference point.

I don't look at my watch to see what time it is, I look at the clock to see what time it isn't.

Some of you are not understanding that statement. But, suppose I have an appointment at 3:00. I don't look at the clock to see if it is 3:00, I look at the clock to see how much time I have left until I have to be at my 3:00 appoint. As analog oriented I can look at the watch and see that i have 10 minutes until my appointment. I'm looking at what time it isn't, not what time it is.

Now, my uncle was was more digital when it came to time. You ever see those space launches? They counted down the time, 10....9.......8....7.....etc. Digital. My uncle was one of those guys in that room in Houston. They were focused on what time it was, thus the countdown, not what time it wasn't.

Most of us look at our watches and clocks to see how much time we have left until the next event.
I loved the old analog clocks, but it's becoming a digital world so we must adapt.

I loved the old analog clocks, but it's becoming a digital world so we must adapt.

That's what my dear uncle said in the 1960's as the apollo moon launches were his forte.
I've got my smart phone, I work in IT for Fortune 500 company, and I still prefer an analog watch over a digital one. Look at the wrist of you friend that wear a watch, most are analog, not digital.

Sylvan Learning System.

Excellent system for helping young students get the skills they need in math.

Seriously, unless the child has some organic problem preventing them from gaining those skill sets needed to grasp arithmetic, about 36 hours of Sylvan classes usually advances the children one or two grade levels.

Not cheap, but definitely worth the investment.

Here is what one of my FB friends posted. This is why I moved away back in the 80s and took my children where there were quality schools. All they wanted to do was be what they were not qualified to be - guidance counselors. They never taught. Being a good person doesn't get you into a quality college, you need the grades. And they have shown themselves to be abject failures at that anyway.

tumblr_mj5grykqBL1r8p9dho1_1280.jpg

don't forget to mention you taught him to flip the bird early on also.

I am close to agreeing with that. Especially with this stuff around.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPyyZWGGfro]Ainol Novo 7 Crystal 2 Quad Core Tablet PC - In-depth Review - YouTube[/ame]

They are talking $103 and then a lot the software is free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=zok.android.numbers&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...6LmJhdW0uVGFsa2luZ0tpZHNNYXRoYW5kTnVtYmVycyJd

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...EsImNvbS5pbmZpbnV0LmtpbmRlcmdhcnRlbi5tYXRoIl0.

Sure the majority of it is going to be mediocre to bad. But most teachers are going to be like that too. But even great teachers cannot give any one kid 100% of her attention in a math class. Computers can be infinitely annoying but they are also infinitely patient. So if all parents were told what the best software was, what would happen?

psik

Here is what one of my FB friends posted. This is why I moved away back in the 80s and took my children where there were quality schools. All they wanted to do was be what they were not qualified to be - guidance counselors. They never taught. Being a good person doesn't get you into a quality college, you need the grades. And they have shown themselves to be abject failures at that anyway.

tumblr_mj5grykqBL1r8p9dho1_1280.jpg
Had a similar experience with my daughter's family. They moved into an area which they thought had a great elementary school but they were sadly wrong. After two years, they sold their home and bought a place across town. Now the kids are going to a really great school but the cost of the move was really high.

Such experiences are all too common. The disparity in public schools is huge. Local funding and local control are in my opinion the problem.

The media is always reporting how poorly test scores of US students stack up against other countries. Comparing the two top countries, Finland and South Korea with the US, there are two very striking differences. The countries with the best educational systems have much more central control of administration and funding that we do. In the US, control is bottom up.

Since the early days of public education in the US, we have focused on strong local control. That's great right; parents can decide how they want their kids educated. A good idea, but it just doesn't work today. In 70% of the households both parents work. In the evenings, there's barely enough time to feed the kids, manage the homework, prepare for the next day and get the kids to bed. Parents almost never go to school board meetings, PTA meetings, or volunteer in the classroom.

School boards, which provide local control of the schools are entry ways for candidates that aspire to higher political office. Voters don't expect new school board members to know anything about education and most don't. About the only people interested in school board elections are the candidates, their family and friends. In one study covering a number of districts, voters were asked how they select judges and school board member. Over 50% picked them because they heard their name in a TV ad. 20% picked them at random. Some said they voted for candidates because they thought their vote might not count unless they voted the whole ballot.

Most school board meeting are nothing but business meeting with such hot topics thrown in as location for new schools, naming a school, and presentation of awards. Rarely is there any real focus on the education of the kids.

Few people want Washington taking more control of local schools, but the fact is local control just doesn't work. The results are crappy test scores, and huge disparities between schools.

We need to look at what other countries are doing right. If not, US education is going to slide relative to other countries and the disparity between schools is going to increase.

I am close to agreeing with that. Especially with this stuff around.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPyyZWGGfro]Ainol Novo 7 Crystal 2 Quad Core Tablet PC - In-depth Review - YouTube[/ame]

They are talking $103 and then a lot the software is free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=zok.android.numbers&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...6LmJhdW0uVGFsa2luZ0tpZHNNYXRoYW5kTnVtYmVycyJd

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...EsImNvbS5pbmZpbnV0LmtpbmRlcmdhcnRlbi5tYXRoIl0.

Sure the majority of it is going to be mediocre to bad. But most teachers are going to be like that too. But even great teachers cannot give any one kid 100% of her attention in a math class. Computers can be infinitely annoying but they are also infinitely patient. So if all parents were told what the best software was, what would happen?

psik
In my opinion, math computer applications are great teaching aids. As you say, computers are infinitely patient which is great. Nothing turns a kid off more than not to understand a topic and have the teacher jump to another topic because of time constraints.

About half of my grandkid's math assignments are done on the computer.

Forum List

Back