Real Racism: A History of the Democratic Party

Before becoming democrats

From 1900 to 1954, blacks were more active than whites in the labor market. Until about 1960, black male labor force participation in every age group was equal to or greater than that of whites.

After *becoming democrats.*

" Black unemployment has been double that of white Americans for more than 50 years. The black youth unemployment rate is more than 40 percent nationally. In some cities, unemployment for black working-age males is more than 50 percent.

Walter E. Williams Column: Black Unemployment | NewsBusters

Before becoming democrats

From 1900 to 1954, blacks were more active than whites in the labor market. Until about 1960, black male labor force participation in every age group was equal to or greater than that of whites.

After *becoming democrats.*

" Black unemployment has been double that of white Americans for more than 50 years. The black youth unemployment rate is more than 40 percent nationally. In some cities, unemployment for black working-age males is more than 50 percent.

Walter E. Williams Column: Black Unemployment | NewsBusters

love that government crack!

If any contemporary Republican Conservative looked at the voting record of any of the Republicans who supported and helped pass a Civil Rights act into law, those contemporary Conservatives would drum out those Republicans Civil Rights supporters as RINOS and wash their hands of them.

What the contemporary Conservative wants is to hide behind the skirts of the Republican Party while maintaining their own peculiar stances on Civil Rights. It's a shameful exercise conducted by folks who are rightfully ashamed of their own lack of understanding of liberty.

Look at the Conservative positions on modern civil rights issues. Marriage equality? the modern Conservative would no longer extend the rights and protections afforded under the marriage license to a same sex couple today just as their forbearers refused mixed race couples 50 years ago. Immigration reform? No conservative of 2013 sees anything like civil rights there, let alone grant citizenship to any Hispanic immigrant. Worker's Rights? Forget it! Modern Conservatives fail to see humans as labor, but labor as a commodity.

If any contemporary Republican Conservative looked at the voting record of any of the Republicans who supported and helped pass a Civil Rights act into law, those contemporary Conservatives would drum out those Republicans Civil Rights supporters as RINOS and wash their hands of them.

What the contemporary Conservative wants is to hide behind the skirts of the Republican Party while maintaining their own peculiar stances on Civil Rights. It's a shameful exercise conducted by folks who are rightfully ashamed of their own lack of understanding of liberty.

Look at the Conservative positions on modern civil rights issues. Marriage equality? the modern Conservative would no longer extend the rights and protections afforded under the marriage license to a same sex couple today just as their forbearers refused mixed race couples 50 years ago. Immigration reform? No conservative of 2013 sees anything like civil rights there, let alone grant citizenship to any Hispanic immigrant. Worker's Rights? Forget it! Modern Conservatives fail to see humans as labor, but labor as a commodity.

Same Sex Marriage and Immigration Reform are cherry picking...

GLTB community enjoys recognition today like no other time in recorded history, this is not a Civil Rights issue, it is a political football used to divide, period...

Immigration Reform as a Civil Rights issue, really??? You would have to be a US Citizen for this to apply...

If you want to even attempt to solve immigration, you have to have better control of the borders, until then it will remain as out of control as it is today...

When the Cartels kill more US Citizens on US soil, what do you want to do? You want to open the borders, how dam stupid can you get?

This thread is about how hypocrisy has ruled the minority's to benefit the DNC, no one, not one of you left wing Liberals can supply any proof that supports your contentions about Jim Crow Laws...

All you have offered is BS...

The first civil rights act of 1866 enacted by a republican congress, vetoed by a democrat President, Andrew Johnson, who was later impeached.

The civil rights act of 1957 under Dwight Eisenhower, bill passed by a republican majority.

The civil rights act of 1960, signed into law by Dwight Eisenhower.

It was the republican party that was founded to get rid of slavery and it was the republican party that paved the way for blacks civil rights.

The first civil rights act of 1866 enacted by a republican congress, vetoed by a democrat President, Andrew Johnson, who was later impeached.

The civil rights act of 1957 under Dwight Eisenhower, bill passed by a republican majority.

The civil rights act of 1960, signed into law by Dwight Eisenhower.

It was the republican party that was founded to get rid of slavery and it was the republican party that paved the way for blacks civil rights.

Well liberals say that being pro civil rights is now being pro gay and pro big government, you have to want affirmative action, housing projects, welfare, food stamps, ect or else you are a racist....which is funny because then they say more white people are on those programs than blacks......so it's racism somehow.....I have no idea how these people argue

Both civil rights bills were brought to the table first by republicans.

"The drafting of the bill was performed early in 1870 by Senator Charles Sumner, a dominant Radical Republican in the Senate, with the assistance of John Mercer Langston, a prominent African American who established the law department at Howard University.[3] The bill was proposed by Senator Sumner and co-sponsored by Representative Benjamin F. Butler, both Republicans from Massachusetts, in the 43rd Congress of the United States in 1870. The act was finally passed by Congress in February 1875 and signed into law by President Ulysses S. Grant on March 1, 1875.[4]"

From wiki

"Civil Rights Act of 1957
The Civil Rights Act of 1957, Pub.L. 85–315, 71 Stat. 634, enacted September 9, 1957, primarily a voting rights bill, was the first civil rights legislation enacted by Congress in the United States since Reconstruction following the American Civil War.

"The bill passed the House with a vote of 285 to 126 (Republicans 167-19 for, Democrats 118-107 for) [3] and the Senate 72 to 18 (Republicans 43-0 for, Democrats 29-18 for).[4] President Eisenhower signed it on September 9, 1957."

So? Why do you hate white people? You grew up privileged, I didn't... Good for you:thup:

Uh, "privileged" and "educated" . And because you didn't, doesn't give you license to utilize "white privilege" as if you were entitled to it by your awesome intelligence or "good looks". I discovered not all white people are alike. You got your good, and you got your bad. Liberals, I have found to be the good white people and conservatives, I've found, to be the bad...for obvious reasons. White liberals have never looked down on me...made me feel inferior to them, and certainly never diminished me. Conservatives always have tried. So you see, my contempt isn't for white people in general, but ideology, specifically. And it has always been. Hence, I have white liberal friends with whom I associate and commune with. Racists have no little or no contact with the objects of their hate. Duh.
Er, the actual Civil Rights Bill that really amounted to something was JFK's idea, not Republicans. The Civil Rights bill of 1957 was so watered down as to be useless, blacks still were being treated like second-class citizens.

Wiki:
The bill was called for by President John F. Kennedy in his civil rights speech of June 11, 1963,[3] in which he asked for legislation "giving all Americans the right to be served in facilities which are open to the public—hotels, restaurants, theaters, retail stores, and similar establishments," as well as "greater protection for the right to vote." Kennedy delivered this speech following a series of protests from the African-American community, the most concurrent being the Birmingham campaign which concluded in May 1963. Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

GLTB community enjoys recognition today like no other time in recorded history, this is not a Civil Rights issue, it is a political football used to divide, period...

Immigration Reform as a Civil Rights issue, really??? You would have to be a US Citizen for this to apply...

If you want to even attempt to solve immigration, you have to have better control of the borders, until then it will remain as out of control as it is today...

When the Cartels kill more US Citizens on US soil, what do you want to do? You want to open the borders, how dam stupid can you get?

This thread is about how hypocrisy has ruled the minority's to benefit the DNC, no one, not one of you left wing Liberals can supply any proof that supports your contentions about Jim Crow Laws...

Cherry picking or not, there is a dismal Conservative record concerning civil rights. While Republicans were effective in supporting civil rights issues in the 1960s, those Republicans were, by in large, social Liberals. No self respecting Conservative of today would recognize any of those brave Republicans of 40 or 50 years ago as "Conservative" by any means. In fact, those Republicans would indeed be shunned as RINOS by today's Conservative.

What happens every so often is Conservatives realize just how evil they have been concerning civil rights. Once that recognition takes place, they ignore historical fact and hide behind the skirts of the Republican Party. They think that gives them ideological cover, but it doesn't.

Conservatives provide the resistance to any expansion of civil rights, and always have. Show me the Conservative who has championed civil rights, women's rights, gay rights, worker's rights or immigrant's rights. Take you time, for I have sent you on a fool's errand. There ARE no Conservatives championing civil rights today or yesterday.

Progressivism is a systematic program using state and or federal government to effect society through government, economic, social, or cultural reform by political means.

Right wing statist progressive change, for example, is the reactionary's attempts to deny gay marriage through Prop 8 or to end abortion by government action.

how many times do I hear you want to go BACK TO THE DAYS of yore about the republican party, the party with which you dont and never agreed with a single issue on.

And abortion is murder, so yeah I think it's kind of up to the govt to stop that.

As for gays, you can be gay, but marriage is between a man and woman, always has been.

I am proud of the GOP's record of race through 1968: always said that.

If you wish federal government to end civil rights violations and to end abortion, then, yes, you are a big government progressive statist.

And Minnesota will become the 12th state to legalize gay marriage.

Yup, you are a reactionary progressive homophobic racist. Trifecta!

I hear of Liberal Democrats championing the causes of racial and gender equality in America today, while admirable, they have ignored their own history. Now, for a little history lesson. Let's do a little research shall we? Let us see who has been more detrimental to the causes of equality. Pay attention students, there will be a quiz at the end of this essay!

During the 1860s, Southern Democrats continually advocated the use of slavery. It took a Republican to slay these racial demons with the 13th Amendment. A major advocate of this being Frederick Douglass, a black Republican abolitionist, diplomat and former slave from Maryland.

During Antebellum, racial equality was continually hampered even after the 13th Amendment's passage; by Democrats who were taking ever increasing majorities in local, state and federal offices, especially during the 1880's. This eventually led to the instatement the Jim Crow laws. In 1875, attempts were made by Republicans to break Jim Crow, it was however, thwarted by Democrats. It was during this time the Democratic Party gave birth to the KKK.

For nearly a century, Jim Crow ruled over the land with an iron fist. Nary a black man anywhere could be treated equally, because of the racial hatred of the Democratic Party. These laws were finally ended by the Supreme Court Decision of 1954, Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka. Ironically, in 1963, it was Democrats who launched major opposition to the Equal Pay Act, which effectively ended the gender pay disparity in the workplace.

In 1964, Democrats were once again fighting to stop racial equality in the states. They fought tooth and nail against the Civil Rights act of 1964, with a former Klansman leading the charge. As a Democratic Senator Richard Russell from Georgia put it: "We will resist to the bitter end any measure or any movement which would have a tendency to bring about social equality and intermingling and amalgamation of the races in our (Southern) states."

Then there was the famous Democratic Senator Strom Thurmond from South Carolina who was even moreso candid than Russell in his opposition, stating that "This so-called Civil Rights Proposals, which the President has sent to Capitol Hill for enactment into law, are unconstitutional, unnecessary, unwise and extend beyond the realm of reason. This is the worst civil-rights package ever presented to the Congress and is reminiscent of the Reconstruction proposals and actions of the radical Republican Congress."

For 57 days they filibustered the bill, until Senator Everett Dirksen (R-IL) shamed them into relenting. The Bill was signed into law by Lyndon Johnson in the Summer of 1964. The next year, the same Congress passed the Voting Rights Act.

Not long after that, Southern Democrats began defecting to the Republican Party, after the Democratic Party had shifted its focus towards its more moderate voting bloc to the north, and thusly polluting it for generations to come with their racial pragmatism.

Where were Democrats? I thought they claimed to be the party of equality? Yet history is riddled with examples of their racial hatred towards African Americans. It's sad in a way to think how they have warped and twisted their minds into believing the current platforms in place today, kept ignorant of the history that precedes the Democratic Party.

Here's my question, which party has stood for equality over the past 150 years? How does this meld with the current platforms Liberal Democrats advocate today? I leave that for you to decide.

And lets not forget how the Republican party was how Democrats are today. (and vice versa)

Now the Republicans are the racists and Democrats are fighting for equality. :lmao:

I like the attempt to glorify the republicans without stating that they are what Democrats are today.

Misty has thoroughly kicked your ass

And TK is working on his trifecta as well. He is such a poor example of a mighty Republican, the kind that we need to slay the dragons on the far right and those on the far left.

We need a Republican Templar to put down the wannabee Templars, like some here. :lol:

It must have hurt the Democrats to give up, no, to ease out all those votes of the "solid south" but they did it. I wonder how much Republicans had to alter their party's take on equality, if at all, to get those former Democrats to become Republicans? In any case the eased-out Democrats, now Republicans, have found a comfortable home with their own kind, even as America changes.

Misty has thoroughly kicked your ass

And TK is working on his trifecta as well. He is such a poor example of a mighty Republican, the kind that we need to slay the dragons on the far right and those on the far left.

We need a Republican Templar to put down the wannabee Templars, like some here. :lol:

Eh? Jake, seriously, that's the second time that I've seen someone whip you this badly.

Now you ad hom my moniker. Shows you have nothing left to throw at me. Closet liberalism is your thing now. Get used to it.

Who is ad homming the Templar? The point is simply you are not are worthy of it because you refuse to accept that demography is changing the political landscape.

For instance, RNC outreach efforts take another step backwards http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2...each-efforts-take-another-step-backwards?lite
By Steve Benen - Tue May 14, 2013 10:05 AM EDT

Associated Press
Pablo Pantoja, up until fairly recently, has served as the state director of Florida Hispanic Outreach for the Republican National Committee. Yesterday, he became a Democrat and made a contribution to the ACLU.

We will continue losing at the national level until our far right pulls up its training pants and panties and accepts the world as it is.

Last edited:

Cherry picking or not, there is a dismal Conservative record concerning civil rights. While Republicans were effective in supporting civil rights issues in the 1960s, those Republicans were, by in large, social Liberals. No self respecting Conservative of today would recognize any of those brave Republicans of 40 or 50 years ago as "Conservative" by any means. In fact, those Republicans would indeed be shunned as RINOS by today's Conservative.

What happens every so often is Conservatives realize just how evil they have been concerning civil rights. Once that recognition takes place, they ignore historical fact and hide behind the skirts of the Republican Party. They think that gives them ideological cover, but it doesn't.

Conservatives provide the resistance to any expansion of civil rights, and always have. Show me the Conservative who has championed civil rights, women's rights, gay rights, worker's rights or immigrant's rights. Take you time, for I have sent you on a fool's errand. There ARE no Conservatives championing civil rights today or yesterday.

They (conservatives) want to take credit for Civil Rights (the same ones that now consider Bush too liberal, haha)and they are the ones that whine about affirmative action!

No they were not Social Liberal Republicans, Goldwater, Eisenhower & Nixon?

Fools errand??? Please provide proof any of these gentleman where Social Liberals...

The Republicans lost the black vote with the New Deal, not over Civil Rights...

Same Sex Marriage is not a Civil Rights issue...

Immigration Reform is not a Civil Rights issue...

Championing Pro Choice or free contraceptives is far from advancing Women's Rights, keep telling yourself this, I know your knowledge is limited, but it was Republicans who pushed through for women to vote, not Democrats...

Jake, you got owned in this thread a long time ago.
Democrats were racists, they did not switch parties, because you cant come up with names.

and none of your liberal friends ever answer these questions
When was the last time a democrat was more conservative in a presidential election?
Name the people who switched to republican in the 60s-70s?
why did the south vote for democrats, except in landslides until 2000?
Why did the democrats keep state and local seats until the 90s?

Forum List

Back