Raw milk can be dangerous

interesting that treated milk and its possible implication in food borne outbreaks has not been studied or documented.
I assume you are referring to how the CDC, FDA, and AAP always claim there is no evidence when in fact they are the ones with the burden of proof.

The Dangers of Unpasteurized Milk

Pasteurization does not insure that these bacteria are not in the milk. There are no studies. What is said is that: pasteurization does not significantly change the nutritional value printed on the label and that they have done no resent studies that prove that pasteurization causes milk protein intolerance and that they don't recognize the studies that show pasteurization causes asthma. You don't need a study to prove that. Hyperbole, association is not proof of cause. What they know is that people that drink raw milk sometime get diarrhea just like the rest of us. The CDC's Minnesota study shows that the average American is 9 times more likely to contract a so called foodborne illness than people who drink raw milk. The named bacteria are some times found in diarrhea. That doesn't mean that they are the cause or that they are responsible for complications arising from medical treatments which have many deadly side effects. The named bacteria are seldom found in raw milk sold for human consumption and have never been proven to cause illness when they are. The CDC has never documented a single death associated with raw fluid milk consumption. Raw milk is healthy and is especially important for children, the elderly, pregnant women, and people with weakened immune systems. The illnesses they are referring to are associated with diarrhea for which their own study shows raw milk is preventative. Healthy people have never been showed to get sick from any of the named bacteria. If you look them up you will find the opposite is said. These bacteria are everywhere. They are in us, on us, and on almost everything we touch and or eat. Comments are disabled for this video. I wonder why.

I never said insure.

Between 1993 and 2006 more than 1500 people in the United States became sick from drinking raw milk or eating cheese made from raw milk. In addition, CDC reported that unpasteurized milk is 150 times more likely to cause food borne illness and results in 13 times more hospitalizations than illnesses involving pasteurized dairy products.

Whether raw milk is safe to drink depends on the health of the cows, the handling of the milk; the cleaning and sterilization of equipment, and storage time and temperature. Pasteurized which removes over 99% of the bacteria significantly reduces the chance of becoming sick from contaminated milk.

Federal laws prevent the interstate sale of raw milk but many states allow sales within the state. The push, if you want to call it that to allow raw milk sales across the country comes from small dairy farms struggling to survive, health food addicts that believe in the magic properties of raw milk, and right wing nuts who want to abolish all food safety laws.

Well, if people want to risk it, I don't think the government should have to stop them. Who cares? Let people drink contaminated poop milk. They aren't hurting anyone else. As long as the consumer is aware, I don't see a problem with it.
The only ones saying it is "contaminated poop milk" are it's competitors.

Well if it's not regulated, you never know! :razz:

Between 1993 and 2006 more than 1500 people in the United States became sick from drinking raw milk or eating cheese made from raw milk. In addition, CDC reported that unpasteurized milk is 150 times more likely to cause food borne illness and results in 13 times more hospitalizations than illnesses involving pasteurized dairy products.

Whether raw milk is safe to drink depends on the health of the cows, the handling of the milk; the cleaning and sterilization of equipment, and storage time and temperature. Pasteurized which removes over 99% of the bacteria significantly reduces the chance of becoming sick from contaminated milk.

Federal laws prevent the interstate sale of raw milk but many states allow sales within the state. The push, if you want to call it that to allow raw milk sales across the country comes from small dairy farms struggling to survive, health food addicts that believe in the magic properties of raw milk, and right wing nuts who want to abolish all food safety laws.

Well, if people want to risk it, I don't think the government should have to stop them. Who cares? Let people drink contaminated poop milk. They aren't hurting anyone else. As long as the consumer is aware, I don't see a problem with it.

Pasteurized milk is regulated. How much do we know about it? I know far more about the raw milk I buy then anything else I eat. When raw milk is regulated and sold in a store I don't even know if it is raw. I don't know what kind of cow it comes from, what the cow eats, or how the cow is treated.

Is it true that before the government provided safety laws for food and drink, embalming fluid was used to keep milk from souring?

The Dangers of Unpasteurized Milk

Pasteurization does not insure that these bacteria are not in the milk. There are no studies. What is said is that: pasteurization does not significantly change the nutritional value printed on the label and that they have done no resent studies that prove that pasteurization causes milk protein intolerance and that they don't recognize the studies that show pasteurization causes asthma. You don't need a study to prove that. Hyperbole, association is not proof of cause. What they know is that people that drink raw milk sometime get diarrhea just like the rest of us. The CDC's Minnesota study shows that the average American is 9 times more likely to contract a so called foodborne illness than people who drink raw milk. The named bacteria are some times found in diarrhea. That doesn't mean that they are the cause or that they are responsible for complications arising from medical treatments which have many deadly side effects. The named bacteria are seldom found in raw milk sold for human consumption and have never been proven to cause illness when they are. The CDC has never documented a single death associated with raw fluid milk consumption. Raw milk is healthy and is especially important for children, the elderly, pregnant women, and people with weakened immune systems. The illnesses they are referring to are associated with diarrhea for which their own study shows raw milk is preventative. Healthy people have never been showed to get sick from any of the named bacteria. If you look them up you will find the opposite is said. These bacteria are everywhere. They are in us, on us, and on almost everything we touch and or eat. Comments are disabled for this video. I wonder why.

I never said insure.

Well, you didn't say anything. There is no way to know if you posted this video because you agree with it or because you think it is silly. If you are referring to the video, does this mean you agree with the rest of my critique of it?

As far as the word insure, my bag. She said “ And you can only be sure that they're not in your milk if it's been pasteurized.” Well, we are not sure that they are in our milk. An outbreak is only a mathematical association based either on the misguided presumption that raw milk is the most likely source or in the case of other foods strictly on percentages with no initial association. Pasteurized milk is associated with far more illness than raw milk and many of those associations are actually supported by what they like to call scientific research. Where as there is no research showing that raw milk has ever cause an illness.

Oh, and many of the “Some people” she is referring to actually know raw milk is more nutritious and more easily digested and they know pasteurization causes lactose intolerance because they have switched from pasteurized to raw. It's not a matter of belief for them. Often these are the people you are arguing with if in fact that is what you are attempting to do.

The problem is you can't tell whether the milk you buy in the store is contaminated or not. Even if you open the container you can't tell. Milk can have a high enough bacteria count to make you and your family sick and you will never know it till you're puking your guts out. Milk doesn't have to be sour to be dangerous to drink. The only way to protect yourself is to drink pasteurized milk.

I might agree with you if just the customer drank the milk. Milk goes to institutions, food processors, restaurants, food banks, and your neighbors kids. Thanks to pasteurization, illness from drinking milk is rare so people assume that milk in their glass is safe to drink.

Last edited:

The problem is you can't tell whether the milk you buy in the store is contaminated or not. Even if you open the container you can't tell. Milk can have a high enough bacteria count to make you and your family sick and you will never know it till you're puking your guts out. Milk doesn't have to be sour to be dangerous to drink.

I drink milk all the time. Lol! I think some of you are just being babies. People smoke, and cigarettes can make you sick and kill you, but the government is FINE with those.

Is it true that before the government provided safety laws for food and drink, embalming fluid was used to keep milk from souring?
First of all these are regulations and they are supposed to be ours not the government's. It's not the government's repeatability to say what can and can not be in our food. It is however, their job to make sure we know exactly what is in our food and they are failing miserably in that regard.

Did you know there is embalming fluid in GMO corn, diet soda, cigarettes, vaccines, beer, decaf coffee, toothpaste, and it is still used as a preservative in milk used as animal feed.

The problem is you can't tell whether the milk you buy in the store is contaminated or not. Even if you open the container you can't tell. Milk can have a high enough bacteria count to make you and your family sick and you will never know it till you're puking your guts out. Milk doesn't have to be sour to be dangerous to drink. The only way to protect yourself is to drink pasteurized milk.

I might agree with you if just the customer drank the milk. Milk goes to institutions, food processors, restaurants, food banks, and your neighbors kids. Thanks to pasteurization, illness from drinking milk is rare so people assume that milk in their glass is safe to drink.
In most states raw milk in not sold in stores. If you think the milk has made you sick stop drinking it or switch brands. 60 % of adults can't drink pasteurized milk. Raw milk does not go to restaurants and food banks even though it should. It would still be labeled. Who would give raw milk to their neighbors kids without their parents consent?

Pasteurized milk is regulated. How much do we know about it? I know far more about the raw milk I buy then anything else I eat. When raw milk is regulated and sold in a store I don't even know if it is raw. I don't know what kind of cow it comes from, what the cow eats, or how the cow is treated.
You don't how clean the dairy is and how healthy the cows are or how long the milk has been stored and at what temperature. You of course have the same problems with pasteurized milk with one big difference. After milk has been pasteurized, almost all bacteria originated at farm and in storage and transportation has been eliminated. This provides a margin of error which is very important because milk is often not stored at the proper temperature and time period.

How about the government just require raw milk to be LABELLED as raw milk, and let the customer decide?

That's what they did in the UK.
Different types had different coloured caps.
The red top became very unpopular and hardly sold.

You don't how clean the dairy is and how healthy the cows are or how long the milk has been stored and at what temperature. You of course have the same problems with pasteurized milk with one big difference. After milk has been pasteurized, almost all bacteria originated at farm and in storage and transportation has been eliminated. This provides a margin of error which is very important because milk is often not stored at the proper temperature and time period.
Often it is the same milk that is sold to the processor so you would know "how clean the dairy is and how healthy the cows are or how long the milk has been stored and at what temperature."

You do realize that raw milk only sours. It doesn't spoil at room temperature. Unwanted bacteria do not grow in raw milk. They do grow very well in sterilized milk.

In most states raw milk in not sold in stores. If you think the milk has made you sick stop drinking it or switch brands. 60 % of adults can't drink pasteurized milk. Raw milk does not go to restaurants and food banks even though it should. It would still be labeled. Who would give raw milk to their neighbors kids without their parents consent?
Raw milk has a higher bacteria count of both good and bad bacteria thus more attention has to be given to storage temperatures and storage times. Maybe you as an individual would be willing to do that. Few restaurants are institutions would take on that responsibility.

60% of the adults can not digest milk because they are lactose intolerant. Despite claims sometimes made about the health benefits of drinking raw milk, evidence does not suggest that drinking raw milk will relieve or lessen the symptoms of lactose intolerance, according to a study conducted by nutritionists at Stanford University and published this week in Annals of Family Medicine.

Study Examines Relationship Between Raw Milk and Lactose Intolerance Food Safety News

Last edited:

Often it is the same milk that is sold to the processor so you would know "how clean the dairy is and how healthy the cows are or how long the milk has been stored and at what temperature."

You do realize that raw milk only sours. It doesn't spoil at room temperature. Unwanted bacteria do not grow in raw milk. They do grow very well in sterilized milk.
Nonsense. Bacteria will grow in any milk raw or pasteurized. The immune system in raw milk provides an environment that tends to suppress the growth of bacteria but it still grows. Contamination can also spoil the milk, making it taste bitter and turn thick and sticky. Now scientists have discovered new species of bacteria that can grow at low temperatures, spoiling raw milk even when it is refrigerated.

New Bacteria Discovered In Raw Milk -- ScienceDaily

Raw milk has a higher bacteria count of both good and bad bacteria thus more attention has to be given to storage temperatures and storage times. Maybe you as an individual would be willing to do that. Few restaurants are institutions would take on that responsibility.

60% of the adults can not digest milk because they are lactose intolerant. Despite claims sometimes made about the health benefits of drinking raw milk, evidence does not suggest that drinking raw milk will relieve or lessen the symptoms of lactose intolerance, according to a study conducted by nutritionists at Stanford University and published this week in Annals of Family Medicine.

Study Examines Relationship Between Raw Milk and Lactose Intolerance Food Safety News
Only good bacteria grow in raw milk “bad bacteria” do not. “bad bacteria” grow unchecked in pasteurized milk. For it time and temperature is an issue. At home many people drink the milk till it sours.

You are the one who said “restaurants and institutions” use raw milk.

By the way, the Mayo Clinic calls it milk protein intolerance. The Stanford University study was on 16 mildly lactose intolerant lactose malabsorbers. Lactose malabsorbers are generally not lactose intolerant. The study actually proved that lactose intolerance has nothing to do with lactose which they probably knew from the start.
Behind the Stanford Raw Milk Lactose Intolerant Study

Last edited:
How about the government just require raw milk to be LABELLED as raw milk, and let the customer decide?

Most states that allow raw milk to be sold require it to be labeled as such.
The federal law outlawing raw milk only applies to interstate sales. In state sales are controlled by state laws. Large dairy farms that ship across state lines would pasteurize with or without the federal law because they need to be able to store milk for longer periods of time plus many states require that milk be pasteurized.

The push to allow raw milk sales comes from small dairy farms who want to avoid the expense of pasteurizing and want to expand their market across state lines.

The federal law outlawing raw milk only applies to interstate sales. In state sales are controlled by state laws. Large dairy farms that ship across state lines would pasteurize with or without the federal law because they need to be able to store milk for longer periods of time plus many states require that milk be pasteurized.

The push to allow raw milk sales comes from small dairy farms who want to avoid the expense of pasteurizing and want to expand their market across state lines.

Only good bacteria grow in raw milk “bad bacteria” do not. “bad bacteria” grow unchecked in pasteurized milk. For it time and temperature is an issue. At home many people drink the milk till it sours.

By the way, the Mayo Clinic calls it milk protein intolerance. The Stanford University study was on 16 mildly lactose intolerant lactose malabsorbers. Lactose malabsorbers are generally not lactose intolerant. The study actually proved that lactose intolerance has nothing to do with lactose which they probably knew from the start.
The enzymes in the milk can't prevent either good or bad bacteria from growing, they can only retard the grow.

There are opinions and studies that support both claims but there is no concrete evidence that raw milk is a solution for for the 60% of Americans who can't drink milk.

You do realize that most of these studies are in one or another are funded by either the Milk Institute or the FDA.

The enzymes in the milk can't prevent either good or bad bacteria from growing, they can only retard the grow.

There are opinions and studies that support both claims but there is no concrete evidence that raw milk is a solution for for the 60% of Americans who can't drink milk.

You do realize that most of these studies are in one or another are funded by either the Milk Institute or the FDA.
Every bacteria is different how can they all be effected equally and aren't you forgetting increasing acidity and reducing lactose? Any environmental change will select for certain bacteria.

Why do we need concrete evidence?

What's the Milk Institute? What's your point about the FDA?

Nonsense. Bacteria will grow in any milk raw or pasteurized. The immune system in raw milk provides an environment that tends to suppress the growth of bacteria but it still grows. Contamination can also spoil the milk, making it taste bitter and turn thick and sticky. Now scientists have discovered new species of bacteria that can grow at low temperatures, spoiling raw milk even when it is refrigerated.

New Bacteria Discovered In Raw Milk -- ScienceDaily
Nonsense, some but not all bacteria will grow in any milk raw or pasteurized. The immune system in raw milk provides an environment that suppress the growth of bacteria but some will still grow until the milk becomes curds and whey. “bitter, thick and sticky” but still a very healthy food.

This is a great article. Did you read it? It describes how a previously unknown milk bacteria produces the heat resistant enzymes that effect the flavor of pasteurized milk.

Forum List

Back